• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller is like BBQ

It prevents casual skinnydipping, laying out in the grass, and making sudden stops in under 50feet...

Except for the sudden stop thing, I saw the other two in Adak in the winter all the time.

Stupid Marines joining the Polar Bear club and going on "Hikes" across the frozen tundra... :)

Yeah, Tenn has more BBQ choices than Florida.
I still get e-mail from Famous Dave from my trip to Cleveland, TN two years ago.
Most of the local places here are closer to a McRibb sandwich than real BBQ.

AT, my brother in law loves the Bubbalou’s Bodacious BBQ in Orlando. Have you ever checked that out? I have a Famous Dave not too far from me, like about 15 minutes driving time, and I was not that impressed. However, for my wife's 60th birthday in January, we have reservations at the Weber Grill in Lombard, Illinois.

[Although I must confess that I prefer my coleslaw as a side rather than on the sandwich ... I'm still a Yankee from the Jersey Shore at heart - although technically the Mason-Dixon line cuts NJ in half and I am from South Jersey, so I may not be an actual Yankee.]

I think half of Florida's population is transplanted Yankees. And sauerkraut on the sandwich, coleslaw on the side.

Tim Wilson, a country comedian, has a routine where he talks about Southern Accents and he says that once you get south of Gainesville, you're back in Michigan... ;)

I don't know... I might have to go all moderator on this thread. There were some pretty political things said. And offensive ones about TX BBQ. If I can get him to argue with me about it in a PM, I have a moderator trifecta! ;)

Those would be our unfortunate Jewish and Muslim friends who don't know what they're missing by not eating pork! (Just kidding, guys!)

Actually, glad to know you're getting something out of this wonderful little saloon on the interwebs. Good luck with the game, Saturday!

I was born to the Jewish tradition and have since left it, but I don't generally eat pork. You want to serve me BBQ sauce? Fine, drizzle it over chicken or beef (maybe fish with BBQ sauce would be nice...) but no pork other than bacon or pepperoni!

I have no opinion on relating BBQ to Traveller. I haven't had one since August and noone I play with is really willing to try anything other than Pathfinder, D&D (any) or boardgames.
Well, other than one of my friends who's designing his own games...

All I know is I make some damn fine BBQ. Anyone argues otherwise is invited over to try some. Maybe we could squeeze in some Traveller as long as you don't drip sauce on the dice.

Better in the dice thatn in the books... They are almost all irremplaceable

That would be worth starting an argument with you just for the invite! BBQ AND Traveller!

I protest...

I'm too far to accept this tempting invite :rofl:

Better in the dice thatn in the books... They are almost all irremplaceable

I can print more books - but it might tempt some to let a little sauce make some sides of the dice stickier than others and roll suspiciously high numbers.

I protest...

I'm too far to accept this tempting invite :rofl:

Yeah, that's too bad. Maybe I could vacuum-seal some smoked tri-tip and FedEx it to you. Or..it just means more for me. The BBQ beans with burnt ends would just get mushy anyway.

Yeah, that's too bad. Maybe I could vacuum-seal some smoked tri-tip and FedEx it to you. Or..it just means more for me. The BBQ beans with burnt ends would just get mushy anyway.

You could send that my way..........

I believe the cultural equivalent of BBQ in the UK is the bacon sarnie. There are orthodoxies, heresies, and all manner of discussion on how it must be done.

IMTU, characters can easily come to blows on the subject, especially if ketchup is mentioned.

Since you brought up English "cuisine"....

What would be the RP equivalent of marmite? (Or vegemite for y'all down-under.) Is there a Traveller version that fits that idea for you? :devil:

Since you brought up English "cuisine"....

What would be the RP equivalent of marmite? (Or vegemite for y'all down-under.) Is there a Traveller version that fits that idea for you? :devil:

My players appear to have picked up "spoo" from Babylon 5 to use in a prior campaign. It hasn't cropped up in this one yet, but they've only just gone interstellar.

Back