• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Tweaking the OTU

Originally posted by epicenter00:
* Alien mercenaries. One of my not-necessarily scientific observations about decadent empires is their increasing reliance of outside mercenaries because their own citizens no longer wish to fight (obviously, this isn't the case always - the Carthaginians extensively used mercenaries even at their height). Aslan and Vargr would probably be the most common alien mercenaries spinward. However, Ithklur and Solomani expatriates are common rimward (IMTU Solomani ground troops have a fearsome reputation and are much sought-after). Indeed, entire sections of the Imperial border are probably controlled completely by mercenary armies paid out of the coffers of some Imperial Noble or another. As with those times back then, mercenaries are not a sullied name like they are today, but an honored profession. These guys won't just sell you out on a whim, and many mercenaries have been in the hire of the Imperium for generations. IMTU, Archduke Brzk was the scion of such a mercenary family, in the employ of the Imperium since before the Flag Emperors.
Check out how mercenaries have been trusted throughout history. Rarely does a potentate fully trust them and if he does, sometimes he loses his fief. People all the way back before ancient Rome had things to say on this matter. Machiavelli spoke on the use of Mercenaries as well.

There were cases where they make sense. Having an Imperial Gaurd formed from Mercenaries who are a) very lethal and b) don't speak the language of the locals is a pretty handy tool. These guys survive and get paid only if they remain loyal and the language barrier (ideally, pick troops whose language is hard for others to have access to) makes it harder to subborn them. Being alien, they will tend to have no direct stake in the human succession affairs (in fact, a wise monarch might treat their planet very well but make it clear that continued good treatment is *utterly* dependent on their good behaviour and that there is a 'final retribution' plan in effect - maybe orbital sats with some nukes, or something, that get triggered automatically if the Emperor does not reset them periodically). Something Damoclean in nature, combined with the foreign language, foreign loyalties factors tends to make for very loyal bodygaurds.

I can well see mercenaries used extensively along the fringes and being used to carry out proxy wars or deniable operations against other noble houses.

* Procession. Taking a page from Tokugawa Japan, the tradition of Procession (the 3I version of sankin-kotai) exists. Landed high nobles had to alternate residences. 2 years on Capital, 2 years on their fief. The amazing expense of having to move your entire household and the disruptions keep nobles in line. The practice continues in the Regency, though now everyone gathers at the Domain capital. Nobles are expected to travel in Jump for one week, then spend five days on their stop enjoying the local sights and such (and spend lavishly) - however, nobles are expected to use J4 or J5 vessels so this isn't quite as bad as it might sound.
Elizabeth I of England used this procession process in reverse herself, to visit her nobility, who had to put out extra expenses to host her and her court during her reign.

I can see canny Sector Dukes might do so, to keep the subsector one's from getting too "fat".
file_22.gif
, Like Norris? But IMTU, I have used the mandatory-"A Noble must serve time at the Moot" procession thing like yours, epicenter. It also is used when a member of that Noble family, if not the head is sent, in the case of aging, ailing Nobles, and travel is prohibited. Votes by Filial Proxy IMTU at the Emperor's court are legal, so don't send the family idiot here!
:eek:
file_23.gif

Actually "travelling courts" where quite common in Europe for some time. No place could feed the court of Charlemange for the whole year so they travelled around the Palatinates (Pfalzen). And once or twice a year a gathering of all nobles was called forth to discuss war, check the army etc.

Originally posted by epicenter00:
* Alien mercenaries. One of my not-necessarily scientific observations about decadent empires is their increasing reliance of outside mercenaries because their own citizens no longer wish to fight (obviously, this isn't the case always - the Carthaginians extensively used mercenaries even at their height).
The other benefits of mercenaries is that you aren't taking labour out of the economy, and they don't hate you.

These things are particularly important in feudal economies, where drafting peasants causes economic disruption, especially at critical times like the harvest and so on. Plus, if they are serfs, you are drafting somebody else's property...

Furthermore, peasants are prone to rebel, which makes it a good thing to have a loyal force of professionals to repress them.

Mercenary armies and professional armies were more or less the same thing for a very long time. There is little evidence that "foreign" mercenaries were any less reliable that "local" mercenaries, and they were at times, preferable.

Big example: the Prussian army of the 18th Century. Prussian recruiting parties were a scourge throughout Germany. All the other German states were continually protesting their presence.

"Here's fourty shilling on the drum for those who volunteer to come"

More questions/ideas:

Does the 3I recruit in the "Occupied Solomanie Territory" similar to the British Army recruiting in Irland during the Napoleonic times? Or from Imperial client states?

And is there something like the "Emperors Solomanie Legion", a group of SolConf refugees working for the 3I like the "Kings German Legion"?

If you go for a corrupt 3I, will each planet have to deliver a set number of troops or an equivalent in money?

And if yes, will some of those planets use pressgangs to fill their quota? Or will the 3I do so? And will it consider the SolConf an independent nation or a rebelious part of the Empire?

What is the SolConf term for the lost territory? Imperial Occupied Zone?

Some side note on Mercenaries:

Their quality depends on time. A classical example are the german Landsknechts. Pre 30 years war they where considered extremly reliabel and trustworthy. They could be ordered NOT to loot a city and do it even so other units did loot. The Emperor Maximillian valued them extremly high, giving them special freedom and even their own justice system. If not payed they where more likely to walk(1) away than turn marauder since there was likely another job. Only during the 30 years war did they turn into the murderous mob commonly assosiated with them.

Most late Medival lords preferred professional soldiers to local conscripts, taking money instead of a 30-90 days service that their own man where required to give them. The professionals where less likely to refuse orders and war. Long-term (1+ year) serving Conscripts are a rather young (17th/18th century) concept

Quite a few "bad" mercenary units turn out to be scapegoats used by an incompetent noble to deflect blame. The Milanese Archers of the French at Crecy are a classic example.

One might debate wether the

+ late Republic and Imperial Roman Legions
+ The Janissarians of the Osmanic Era
+ The "Viking" Guard of Byzanz

where Merc or standing armys. They sure have elements of both, often depending on what army you are used to(2). Those where basically states within a state and could function totally independent if necessary.

(1)They even had strict rules and contracts when they where allowed to do that
(2)I.e the US Army seems to offer more services (i.e PX store) for it's soldiers than the German armies do/did and do more of their construction/maintenance work themselfs also (Correct me if wrong)

Back