• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Using Book 8 In Your Games

bot Games

Hmm,
StarWars
Space Master
CyberPunk (Chrome and Heavy Metal books, mostly battle suits but some robots)
GURPS Robots and HighTech books

Legions of Steel (out of print) was battle armors vs robots, some very big mean robots.

SL.. yup I have Kviser Rocks but do they design robots?

I touched on Space Master and Gurps Robot but don't know the Robot design value of those I didn't mention.

Also D20 Mecha, "Twisted Earh-Darwin's world Metal Gods"....FSpace RPG Robots.

Mostly mechs lota mechs and power suits. Many claim robots a few have designs tools.

These aren't the droids we're looking for.

;)

Thanks for the help all, but none are quite ringing the right bell. Hmmm, CyberPunk? Did Shadowrun have droid build rules? I know I built several vehicles and a couple decks/rigs in it. Can't recall ever owning any droids. (Might as well stay with the SW theme ;) ).

It'll come to me, eventually :)

My favorite robot characters were the ones I designed using the Paranoia rules. I won't vouch for the realism, but I will vouch for the fun! :D

Hans

SL.. yup I have Kviser Rocks but do they design robots?

I touched on Space Master and Gurps Robot but don't know the Robot design value of those I didn't mention.

Also D20 Mecha, "Twisted Earh-Darwin's world Metal Gods"....FSpace RPG Robots.

Mostly mechs lota mechs and power suits. Many claim robots a few have designs tools.
I notice our FSpaceRPG Robots got a mention here.

It is just a catalog of some designs we had. Expands on those found in the Concise Rulebook. Actually happens to be descriptions for the illustrations we had lying around.

Sorry it isn't a set of design rules. A reviewer did suggest we needed design rules. One day I'll get around to it. Unfortunately our team is now a bit more distributed globally, and most have family and career commitments now.

Personally I always like a merger of MT design rules with Robots 8 for Traveller. I had some run bending those rules to their limits.

It actually gave me ideas for some of the things I wanted for FSpace, because I have a clean slate - and I was frustrated modifying Traveller to find you'd upset the balance of game play or even balance of power in the universe with such hacks.

My scorpian tanks, robotic warships, robot fighters and others things just made really practical sense to me during the MT days. But along came TNE and I began to realise just how nasty that virus could have been if I'd hacked the Imperial or Solomani 'warmachines' to be more 'mechanised'.

But it was fun. The good old days :)

I have a spreadsheet. totally homebrew, never even seen book 8, but it does help rationally standardize and control bots in a game. if you're interested I'll see about getting it to you.

yeah, but telephone polls aren't interactive. when the coke machine starts talking to you, when a phone system voice recording is voxing at you saying congratulations for calling it, when you're yelling at the 411 "tell me" software and it doesn't understand anything you're saying and it finally reaches the algorithm step where it transfers you to a real operator, you notice. in the future I imagine there will be a lot of han solo - "shut him up or shut him down!"
Flykiller, if said spreadsheet comes with documentation of some sort - or if you're willing to write an accompanying article - I'd be interested in at minimum linking to it wherever you have it posted on the web, or alternatively, I'll host it (especially if it's with an article).

Flykiller, if said spreadsheet comes with documentation of some sort - or if you're willing to write an accompanying article - I'd be interested in at minimum linking to it wherever you have it posted on the web, or alternatively, I'll host it (especially if it's with an article).
aol shut down everyone's websites, and my cat peed on my computer and destroyed my hard drive, but I probably have it on my backup flash. if I ever figure out how to upload that sort of thing here onto coti I'll put it here, else I'll see about firing it off to you at freelance with an article.

Book 8 is a bit too expensive, and too high-tech requiring, for my tastes.

O ... I didn't think so. I use Book 8 and then convert to MT.

I get TL10 "worker" robots (autonomous farm bots) for as low as Cr25,000 that last for 10 years.

Regards,

Ewan

I wonder how LBB8 would handle the dreaded SpamBot. :rofl:

...Or Futurama's Bender.

You'd need some advanced programming for:

* bending
* flirting with she-bots
* smoking
* drinking
* cursing
* insulting everyone
* repeating the mantra "KILL ALL HUMANS!"

:D

Last edited:
So here is the list outside of CT Book 8 and TNE VF. Am I missing anything?

There was an RPG from the 80's called Droids. All PCs and NPCs were droids in some vague post-apocolypse world. Character advancement was by salvaging useful bits off defeated foes.

O ... I didn't think so. I use Book 8 and then convert to MT.

I get TL10 "worker" robots (autonomous farm bots) for as low as Cr25,000 that last for 10 years.

Regards,

Ewan

My thing is, taking a page from Shadowrun ... that worker bot/drone should have both autonomous and drone-control options, cost 5000 Cr and be TL 9, where the only reason it isn't smaller than a short human is its being a worker bot.

Though that 10 years duration sounds about right!

Back