• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Venu

"His neck relaxed as he felt the comfortable jolt from the bolter as he pressed the trigger. The smell of ionized air and sulfur filled his nostrils as the bolt travelled to the hated Xeno. He made a silent prayer to the Emperor."

I realize that it is not very grimdark, but I only took 30 seconds to come up with.

Most games have a scapegoat villain, but the Imperium of Man? How so?

The Venu are human supremacists with tech priests and a God-Emperor. Their troopers are genetically enhanced or mutants. They use combat walkers. Rumor has it that some of them are psionic. The 40K fanatics think it's a rip-off. They're not too happy with the way they're portrayed.

Oh. I was being whimsical. I have not read that section of the book yet .

My statement still stands, for now. Scapegoat villains representing the antithesis of what the heroes are supposed to be. Or the authors. Look at Jovian Junta in Eclipse Phase. I will go read it now to make a less snarky comment.

Oh. I was being whimsical. I have not read that section of the book yet .

All Hail the Supreme Gorfian Empire! I can do whimsy :)

Four hundred pages is a lot of material to cover. I kinda got sidetracked with Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant, so there's a lot I haven't read, either.

My statement still stands, for now. Scapegoat villains representing the antithesis of what the heroes are supposed to be. Or the authors.

The Commonality is a bunch of Commies. It makes sense that they would try to portray the Venu as Nazis. I first thought that if I were to run a campaign, I'd set it in the Quarantine Zone between the Venu and the Successor States. Last night I learned that the default Outremer Subsector is located in the Rim Sector. That's somewhat close to the Q-Zone. I might be able to use it as is, depending on the velocity and range of the ships.

Look at Jovian Junta in Eclipse Phase.

I like the Jovians. If I were playing EP, I'd want to be one.

I will go read it now to make a less snarky comment.

I like snark, but it sometimes gets me in trouble. :)

I could see either, both or neither of the Venu and the Commonality being presented as anti utopia. As always, it would depend more on the way the Referee presented them, than on the text in any book:).

So the question, IMO, is which one I'd want to present as worse;).

I could see either, both or neither of the Venu and the Commonality being presented as anti utopia. As always, it would depend more on the way the Referee presented them, than on the text in any book:).

So the question, IMO, is which one I'd want to present as worse;).

I'd present the Commonality as being worse. News is illegal. Religion is illegal. Children are raised communally.

I'd present the Commonality as being worse. News is illegal. Religion is illegal. Children are raised communally.

And that's a fully legit answer in my book:).

Another Referee might say, there's no religious wars, nobody does stupid stuff just to get famous, children get no drunk father figures and full access to the best educators a post-scarcity society can give you.
Which would be a fully legit answer, too;).

Back