• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vote Your Canon #2: Xboat Route Skipping? (no clear consensus)

Can Xboats Skip Systems?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Do you think Xboats must follow their routes in order, one world after the other?

Or are they allowed to skip systems under certain circumstances?

Haggle.
Usually, in the vast majority of cases, an xboat has to jump to the next world on their route.

But there are times when this could be overruled:
an Imperial warrant holder could commandeer it
an agent could commandeer it
a high ranking noble could commandeer it
a high ranking military commander could commandeer it
the pilot could be a pirate covert agent and deliberately jump off route
there is a disaster on a world off the jump route so the xboat it ordered to carry emergency supplies and medic wafers...

X-boats go where-ever the Scout Service tells them to go.

Since the purpose of the X-boat network is long-range communication, they presumably go as far as possible along the network. Shorter routes can just as well be maintained by cheap and cheerful Scout/Couriers.

If a node in the x-boat network can communicate with several other nodes, it presumably does that concurrently, just as it has to do when the network branches into several lines.

Haggle.

There are stretches of J-1 and maybe J-2 links that would need to be bypassed by default for the use of an XBoat to make any sense whatsoever.
They'd still have coverage from Type S Scouts routed from the ends of the bypass.

Unless it is a huge emergency, I'd have them go by their route, otherwise, what happens when they don't arrive?
Agreed. The absence of an expected XBoat is a massive red flag, since (at least under CT) they cannot misjump. If it doesn't arrive, it simply wasn't sent, and that should never happen. Later rules sets can probably get the risk of misjump down to near-zero with skilled navigators and such.

Agreed. The absence of an expected XBoat is a massive red flag, since (at least under CT) they cannot misjump. If it doesn't arrive, it simply wasn't sent, and that should never happen. Later rules sets can probably get the risk of misjump down to near-zero with skilled navigators and such.
There has to be some sort of redundancy, such as the support ship sits on station with a Type S, and another couple of X Boats, just to make sure. If it doesn't come through, then someone is alerting the navy there could be something wrong in that system.

XBoats not only "can skip" intervening systems, but I would argue that they do so on a regular basis.

Here is a map showing all of the possible destinations within Jump-4 of each world on the Express Network within the Jewell, Vilis, Regina, Lanth, Aramis and Rhylanor subsectors.

bXC51xI.jpg

Worlds with 5+ systems on the Express Network within 4 parsecs (exclusively within the Spinward Marches):
  • Efate/Regina (5)
  • Boughene/Regina (5)
  • Feri/Regina (5)
  • Roup/Regina (5)
  • Risek/Rhylanor (7) 🔀
  • Celaphina/Rylanor (6)
  • L'oeul d'Dieu/Aramis (5)
  • Aramis/Aramis (5)
  • Margesi/Rhylanor (5)
If seeing all those extra lines explicitly laid out on the sector map starts to look confusing to you (and it certainly does to me!) then you ought to understand why the Express Boat "lanes" on the map are really just a simplification to help keep the layout presentation of the sector map as simple and uncluttered as possible so you don't have lines crisscrossing everywhere covering up important information all over the place.

The other thing to remember is that just like with TCP/IP packets, communications are not going to be "single pathed" through the network between nodes.

The Express Network is less a "railroad" that stops at every station along the "tracks" and more of a "Worlds Wide Web" of communications traffic between multiple star systems simultaneously. It's only in places like the Vilis and Lanth subsectors where there is only a "single path" for communications to take (Denotam to Garda-Vilis and Ivendo to Ghandi) that you don't have redundant routes available.

For example, a message that arrives at Ghandi/Lanth would get routed through Denotam/Vilis *AND* Dinomn/Lanth for forwarding on to Extolay/Lanth, since either route would require 2 jumps in order to reach Extolay from Ghandi.

In the Fifth Frontier War context, hostile fleets showing up in either the Lysen/Jewell or Efate/Regina system will cut Express Network contact with the Jewell cluster, since there are no alternate routes across that part of space.

Note that the smartest shortcut across the Lanth subsector possible without an extensive investment in J5/J6 capability would be for the IISS to establish a Scout Base at Pirema/Lanth so as to connect Dinomn to Rhylanor ... reducing the communication time from Regina to Rhylanor through Lanth subsector from 7 jumps to only 3 jumps. Somehow, the IISS hasn't seemed to figure out this bit of simple logistics yet (despite having centuries to work on the problem).

XBoats not only "can skip" intervening systems, but I would argue that they do so on a regular basis.

I was thinking in terms of things like bypassing Feri on the Boughene-Roup link, and bypassing Jenghe on the Regina-Extolay (Lanth) runs. The intermediate stops would get coverage from shorter-Jump ships (typically Type S) and thus wouldn't be losing much.

IMO, unmarked routes probably don't have XBoat network links -- though they may have connections that aren't formally part of the XBoat network (like a Feri-Regina J-5 link on a 3.5-day cadence).

Last edited:
Hey, and if you've got multiple Xboats at your station, maybe you're sending them out to many, most, or all reachable points along the route....

haha, I have to agree with Spinward about the x-boat network not making sense in some places.

on the other hand, from the map used to show that x-boats jump where ever regularly, I see the opposite (so I voted no). the x-boat system as it is now known, has x-boat tenders positioned to best tend to the x-boats coming and going along the x-boat route. some systems look like they're getting 2-3 times the x-boat traffic, maybe more, if they can go to any stop within jump 4 on the route. is the tender support even there for that many x-boats coming in from every x-boat stop within 4 parsecs of any x-boat stop? not to mention that it makes security even harder, having to protect x-boats coming in from more directions and times than just the route as shown (if security is needed). I think it would only be in emergency situations, when time is of the essence, that x-boats would do what is shown in Spinwards example subsectors.

although skipping systems isn't impossible, I don't think it's ever done regularly.

Hey, and if you've got multiple Xboats at your station, maybe you're sending them out to many, most, or all reachable points along the route....
My interpretation is that there is 1 Tender per system within 4 parsecs assigned to each star system ... +1 for rotations for maintenance and consumables resupply.

For example, Boughene/Regina has 5 other star systems within 4 parsecs of Boughene ... so there would be 5 Tenders on station at all times plus an extra Tender in reserve to rotate the other Tenders off station when necessary and maintain full time coverage for Tender services. Multiple XBoats would be assigned to each of those Tenders for round trip relays to the 5 other star systems within 4 parsecs of Boughene (minimum 2 per outbound destination), so with 6 Tenders assigned at Boughene covering 5 destinations, that means that there would be 12 XBoats that are associated with the Boughene Tenders which run relays to Efate, Pixie, Feri, Roup and Kinorb (the two "extra" XBoats are reserve for maintenance and priority immediate dispatches as needed).

A place like Garda-Vilis/Vilis, being the "end of the line" for the Express Network would only have 1 outbound destination (Frenzie) and 2 Tenders assigned to the system (one on station, one in reserve standby/maintenance) and 4 XBoats associated with those 2 Tenders (with 1 or 2 of those XBoats also in reserve standby/maintenance).

That means there are a LOT of Tenders and XBoats in circulation out there.
Hundreds of Tenders and possibly thousands of XBoats per sector.
Oh and the Third Imperium claims a lot of sectors ...

That means there are a LOT of Tenders and XBoats in circulation out there.
Hundreds of Tenders and possibly thousands of XBoats per sector.
Oh and the Third Imperium claims a lot of sectors ...
There's definitely more than 50 Xboats in the Spinward Marches!

And don't forget about ships on standby in case some get damaged (or disappear), and an extra few (2%?) to rotate in as others rotate into yearly maintenance.

TCP/IP type answers to the poll question:
  • No = high network latency communications
  • Yes = low network latency communications
Guess which type the users of the network prefer?

I don't consider anything of setting to be "canon" in terms of rules and such. It is only canon for the setting. Routing of messenger service ships could be handled in many ways.

Personally, I would have set things up with the X-Boats having many overlapping routes, mostly for major sectors. The Empire relies upon this system to communicate to the outer sectors. The lose of a single series of extremely important papers could result in a major diplomatic problem with someone. Of course there are places that have only one way in and out, that problem would be something the sector Governor would have to work on. In addition, the military would work with the X-Boat people to maintain their links with their higher ups. As an example: The American telephone system has a very good reputation. Of course it did not hurt their set up when the US government helped with a lot of redundant contracts and even providing tax break and subsidies in order to make sure the military and government agencies had the means to talk to each other during the aftermath or during an attack upon the country. Of course if this does not fit your game then do not use it. So as to the idea that areas can on occasion be skipped, I actually think would require more than a simple I am an agent and need your boat. Getting the X-Boat to take a single passenger of a high enough priority would be very likely, but do not interrupt the mail carriers in their appointed rounds, The Empire may not like the results and that may bring down a major amount of non-good upon the person responsible. If you think of the service as an interstellar mail service, although it seems like such a minor thing, in reality it is an extremely important operation that the Empire maintains. This may be the only way that two factions, planets, political, religious or trade groups can keep in touch. If you are on the verge of open warfare, having one of your ships pop in unannounced in one of your enemies worlds, may be the thing that triggers the conflict. Messages being sent via the established X-Boat series may allow theings to be cooled off enough to allow the diplomats to talk instead of the military starting to shoot. Your mileage will and should vary.

I say yes. I would rather have a ship in maintenance sent out as an emergency mid-period (dialy weekly, whatever schedule) update rather than decrease System Level Availability in one area. While System A may have no significant data going to linked System B, admins do not know if this is the case with System B.

I would think that the normal routes are followed. The "excess' capacity would cover maintenance cycles and flash/priority tasking. Give those "retired" scouts the opportunity to earn some beer money between pitstops too.

Back