• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Weapon Cards for Classic Traveller

creativehum

SOC-14 1K
screen-shot-2016-05-19-at-7-17-50-pm.png

A while back I read a post from Supplement Four in which he described how he wrote out the DMs for a weapon on an index card. If a character picked up a new weapon, he got a new card. If a character handed off a weapon to a compatriot, the player handed that card over.

I loved that idea.

I also know that dealing with the Weapon/Range Matrixes and the Weapon/Armor Matrixes can be a bear and slow down combat. I know that the the old Judges Guild Traveller Referee Screen did a great job of combining these two matrixes into one table to get a throw number, like this:

screen-shot-2016-08-31-at-6-50-19-pm.png

Which seemed like a great idea, but still was a pain in the neck in terms of lookup, as the table was so big.

So I decided to combine Supplement Four's idea with the Judges Guild screen. I went in whole hog and made up a complete set of Classic Traveller Weapon Cards. That link will lead you a PDF with every weapon from Traveller Book 1, as well as the bows and crossbow weapons from Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium.

If you look at the card, you'll find the information to determine:

a) the Throw required for the weapon based on target armor and distance
b) the DMs for the weapon based on the character's Strength or Dexterity.
c) a space for the Player to write in his character's "Personal DM." (Personal DM is the DM based on the PC's weapon expertise added to the DM for Strength or Dex.) See the handwritten element in the upper left cell as an example.

[Note that while the DMs for minimum and advantageous characteristics are listed at the top right, you don't need to calculate them for every Throw. They are already added into the Personal DM. They are there for reference if characteristics drop from combat or rise due to training. For this reason, the Personal DM cell should be marked in pencil. It can rise and fall because of characteristics.]

This is an example card for a Player Character called Mattos, one of my convention pre-gens. Mattos has an expertise of Blade-5.

screen-shot-2016-09-01-at-7-24-04-am.png

If he gets near you, he is going to manhandle you and drive that thing right up into any soft spots in your armor. (Soft spots he has studied and knows quite well.)

When it comes to the brawling and bladed weapons, a PC can use his weapon expertise as a -DM to parry the attackers blows, so the expertise should be placed after a slash in the Personal DM cell. (See example above.)

So, to do damage to an opponent
1. The Player rolls 2D6
2. Addes the DM from the Personal DM cell
3. Sees if the total value is equal to or greater than the value found by cross-referencing the armor and range.

There might be situational DMs (cover, darkness), DMs due to exceeding Endurance for the number of Blows, or DMs the Referee adds. But certainly having the cards above makes even these additional elements much easier to sort out.

The PDF has four of the same weapon per page, with most weapons repeated across two pages (for a total of eight cards per weapon). I did this so I can print them out in one printing and have enough for the whole group if everyone is carrying the same weapon, and have one for the Referee as well.

I know many people prefer coming up with news systems or using Striker or Snapshot for their rules. I am intrigued, however, with the notion that different weapons are better against different types of armor and that you want the right tools for the job. I also like the fact that certain weapons drop dramatically in effectiveness at different ranges. (If someone gets right in your face while you're carrying a Rifle, that Rifle is not as effective as his dagger, for example.)

There's lots of info I could have added to the cards: Ammo capacity, weight, and so on. I tried all of this, in different permutations. I even tried placing the information on the back. Ultimately each of these designs became too unwieldy. I opted to keep it streamlined and simple. If you need to know what you need to roll with the base DMs, this is what you look at.

To track ammo, I suggest a scrap of scratch paper or index card. I also suggest using something like the Gear Sheets I linked to in this thread. In this way, all the book keeping of weight and ammo is on one sheet, and you look at that when that's what you want to check. And you look at the Weapon Card when you want to find out what you need to hit.

Other people will design such tools in different ways. This is how I decided to make these.

So, if these are of use to you, print them, cut them into quarters, and you're good to go!

Last edited:
I used Pages. (Word started going wonky on my a couple of years back).

I created a document in landscape format. I split it into two columns.

I created a table in the top half of the first column. Using the data from a corrected template from the Judges Guild screen, entered the data for the Body Pistol.

I then spent a LOT of time mucking about with what other information should be included on any given card. I boiled it down to what you see now.

I think copied the table and info and pasted it below the first card.

I then pasted this column into the column on the right side of the page.

Then I cleared the information (but keeping the "template" elements) and pasted the page (with the four blank cards (temple, but no data) for the next weapon.

And then I sat there and did data entry, adding in the throws and and DMs for the next weapon.

When that was done, I pasted in the blank template on the next page...

And so on.

I used Pages. (Word started going wonky on my a couple of years back).

Yes - the version of Word that came out with W8/8.1 made a lot of functions harder or deleted them altogether. I can only imagine what the W10 version does(n't do).

That's why I still use Word 2000 - everything works well, and I can do things with tables etc that you can't with newer versions (I an running W7).

Now if I could just get the W7 version of Paint to do things the WXP version did - like transparencies, etc.

Yes - the version of Word that came out with W8/8.1 made a lot of functions harder or deleted them altogether. I can only imagine what the W10 version does(n't do).

That's why I still use Word 2000 - everything works well, and I can do things with tables etc that you can't with newer versions (I an running W7).

Now if I could just get the W7 version of Paint to do things the WXP version did - like transparencies, etc.

I have a MacBook.
It was time to move on.

I've been starting to do things in Google docs. So far it's actually working decently and my docs are automatically in the cloud and shareable. I haven't pushed it hard though. Still use Word 2013 for a lot of things.

The issue I see with Pages is that it looks pretty locked to Apple products with yet another proprietary file format.

Frank

These are pretty smart. I did a spreadsheet many years ago covering all the weapons and their ammunition and RoF, combining the attribute, range and armour DMs, it was quite large!

Back