• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Weapons I've proposed

Blue Ghost

SOC-14 5K
Knight
So, here's some stuff I've posted on this forum over the years, stuff that I had thought to publish professionally in adventures geared for proto-Traveller. That's not going to happen (which is cool :D(y)), but I thought I might post a recap thread as a Christmas present to any insane individuals who follow my prattle :LOL:

LASER SMG; essentially a multiple pulse weapon that fires several pulses as one pulse, which itself it staggered at normal SMG ROF. That is this weapon doesn't fire a stream of LASER, but binds up one "mega pulse" and fires several pulses like a P90 or something, allowing for a microsecond "cool down" period. It can use any laser powerpack, but is designed to use power magazines--which are either disposable or can be re-energized but at a depreciated damage (power) capacity.

LASER LMG; essentially the same thing. Both L-SMG and L-LMG were inspired by some anime I saw many ages ago. It's essentially a very heavy LASER weapon that's cumbersome but is designed to be "portable" like a TL-12 Plasma Gun or other HEW that requires some assist to heft. Again, it fires "mega pulses" which are more powerful than a L-carbine or L-rifle.

Plasma and Fusion pistols; other people have come up with home brew versions of these, so I'll skip this.

Electromagnetic Gun; essentially a large bore Gauss Rifle, only it doesn't shoot needles but a variety of different munitions, including perhaps EMP rounds to possibly foul up battledress troopers or your standard armor (AFVs, IFVs, APCs and so forth). It might also fire shape charges or a kind of discarding SABOT round as an anti-material rifle. It's essentially a poor man's Gauss Rifle that gives not-quite Gauss performance, but something that would give governments hard up for cash to fund militaries to field a weapon that can sorta-kinda counter high-tech well funded militaries that can afford all kinds of fancy weapons and gear. It may or may not penetrate BD ... depending on the round, the TL of the round and TL of the armor.

Gauss Pistol; other people have come up with home brew stuff for this.

Machine Pistol; essentially a Glock or Robocop full auto Baretta, but perhaps with a SABOT round to that can kick up the penetrator velocity to 3500 fps or faster.

Portable minigun with ammo backpack; essentially the Jesse Ventura minigun from Predator. I think someone mentioned that the US Army looked into the concept, but found that the typical firer could not withstand the massive perpetual recoil of the weapon, forcing them to dangerously whip around. I figure there might be some bracing that could be fitted to the firer to counter this. I've never seen a man portable minigun written up for this game or any other game ... but I'm sure someone will snipe at me and tell who has and where.

Rocket Pistol; I've actually seen this in action, but again it's never been written up for this game. Rocket Rifles have, a really vicious weapon in MTU. A medic in one of our groups had one, and suddenly his Hippocratic oath went out the door and replaced with maniacal laughter as he unloaded.

Particle Projection Cannon; this is more recent, and I'm not sure if it warrants a writeup, but it is an alternative to the LASER weapon.

Armored Ablative; essentially an ablative anti-energy personal armor that has some ballistic coating to it.

Light combat armor; armor that has gaps between plates for ease of movement. There are other variants. Maybe there's a light "battledress" version somewhere.

Needle Gun; this is actually from Star Smuggler, and not a tranquilizer gun, but a weapon that shoot munitions that are themselves made up of a very hard chemical agents that renders a target incapacitated, and which the round itself dissolves within the target. Essentially the ammo is a drug.

High Impact LASER weapon; essentially a Star Wars blaster that fires an energy bolt that explodes upon striking a target instead of burning a hole in it.

Mech-suit; just as it sounds, anime like battle armor, but perhaps "roughly" just slightly bigger than your average human, making that person more heavily armored than your typical Battledressed trooper from any of the major empires.

I had a few other non-military things that I wrote up over the years during and between gaming sessions. I thought I might introduce them in stories or screenplays if I could ever get a crew together, but thanks to my martial arts instructor, various other parties who tried to steer my "career" in other directions, that never happened. I never did write up any Star Trek gear ... someone might want to look into writing up a LASER HMG; think of that support weapon that popped out of the Millenium Falcon and was gunning down Snowtroopers just before Han, Leia and Chewy flew out of the rebel hangar. I think I wrote up the Alien's LMG on a steadicam. Pretty impractical as someone here pointed out years back, but a load of cinematic fun :giggle:(y)

I guess the other thing is, and this relates to the two other threads I've started in this section, is that way back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s when I was first learning the system and OTU, it struck me that the game was designed for playability and simplicity so that people could enjoy it. But my inner SFB gamer said that there was some wiggle room for optional rules to allow for more different types of sidearms and rifles. Such that some one could be armed with an Aliens Pulse Rifle and someone armed with a ... Colt Python or one of my father's black powder weapons, and each would have a different effect or interaction with the opposing force they were facing. But there wasn't enough granularity in the rules to really allow that. And most weapons did 3 dice damage, which itself was kind of limiting.

But, having said all that, it was still cool to some up with new things. I never did see the Lamborghini written up for the game, though we discussed it a few years back. The ATV in the Big Black Book reminds me a lot of the ATV from "Damnation Alley" (saw it with the mother unit at the SFO airport Belmont theatre ages ago! 😀). Personally I always pictured armor varrying for planetary forces, but for strictly Imperial stuff that served both Strepheron and his Arch Dukes, that they would use that standard BD design with the aerodynamic helmet and fully enclosed armor. But again, it would all be optional.

Other tan the VRF Gauss Gun has anyone come up with a Gauss support weapon that was man portable? That might be interesting.

That's all for now. I'll add to the other threads as I can.

LASER SMG; essentially a multiple pulse weapon that fires several pulses as one pulse, which itself it staggered at normal SMG ROF. That is this weapon doesn't fire a stream of LASER, but binds up one "mega pulse" and fires several pulses like a P90 or something, allowing for a microsecond "cool down" period. It can use any laser powerpack, but is designed to use power magazines--which are either disposable or can be re-energized but at a depreciated damage (power) capacity.

Ok, depending on the rules you use lasers are kinda like three round burst weapons. I recently did a break down of lasers based on the basic description in Book2 and the range and penetration of AHL. What I called the Lasgun is basically a Laser SMG. It does rifle damage a assault weapons range.

LASER LMG; essentially the same thing. Both L-SMG and L-LMG were inspired by some anime I saw many ages ago. It's essentially a very heavy LASER weapon that's cumbersome but is designed to be "portable" like a TL-12 Plasma Gun or other HEW that requires some assist to heft. Again, it fires "mega pulses" which are more powerful than a L-carbine or L-rifle.

Consider this that the Laser Rifle as introduced does damage equivelant of .50 cal mg. While I have solid idea of what it’s base stats look like I haven’t done Suport weapons stats yet.
Electromagnetic Gun; essentially a large bore Gauss Rifle, only it doesn't shoot needles but a variety of different munitions, including perhaps EMP rounds to possibly foul up battledress troopers or your standard armor (AFVs, IFVs, APCs and so forth). It might also fire shape charges or a kind of discarding SABOT round as an anti-material rifle. It's essentially a poor man's Gauss Rifle that gives not-quite Gauss performance, but something that would give governments hard up for cash to fund militaries to field a weapon that can sorta-kinda counter high-tech well funded militaries that can afford all kinds of fancy weapons and gear. It may or may not penetrate BD ... depending on the round, the TL of the round and TL of the armor.

Mass Drivers are covered in Book4 and again in TNE.
Note I introduce Gauss weapons at TL 10, with them topping out in the 12 to 13 level. Right about where I think Grav Drivers begin to see use.

Machine Pistol; essentially a Glock or Robocop full auto Baretta, but perhaps with a SABOT round to that can kick up the penetrator velocity to 3500 fps or faster.

Right in here I tend to stick the smaller PDWs as well. As there several handgun framed automatic pistols. Glock and the like have automatic models in there pistol lines.
Rocket Pistol; I've actually seen this in action, but again it's never been written up for this game. Rocket Rifles have, a really vicious weapon in MTU. A medic in one of our groups had one, and suddenly his Hippocratic oath went out the door and replaced with maniacal laughter as he unloaded.

I treat a rocket pistol as the generation after both the Snub and the Accerator, in the end it is a Snub with a better range.

Light combat armor; armor that has gaps between plates for ease of movement.

I would call that a version of the Combat Environment Suit, Though a armored Vacc Suit would fill that roll as well.
There are other variants. Maybe there's a light "battledress" version somewhere.

Yah know Mongoose Vehicles 5-6 will let you build that.

I have penciled in lots of thing over the years, transcribing the notebooks is underway just the amount of weird stuff I had written for Traveller amuses me.

I really don't have a good concept for one. As per my other comment on the other thread I first heard about the Particle Projection Cannon (PPC) from a NOVA documentary on Reagan's SDI. Apparently it was a Soviet concept, only they purportedly meant it as an "area denial" weapon against incoming warheads. Whereas the American version was a direct fire concept; round on target kind of thing. The idea is to accelerate electrons (or maybe protons) to near the speed of light, and then "blammo!" it smacks its target with terrible and tremendous kinetic energy. Again the footage I saw showed an empty rocket section being absolutely crushed. However, the narrator stated that the researchers said not to be too impressed with the footage because, according to them, the weapons "rounds" had a nasty tendency to whip around in atmosphere, sending your aim way way off target.

As for a Traveller-esque version ... I can't really say. However, since it is the classic 3I era, 33rd Century, I'll say that those engineering problems have been ironed out such that there's a practical working sidearm and rifle version. I imagine it might work on disposable powerpacks. Deliver kinetic energy via sub-atomic particles even though it's an energy weapon. Would probably punch through both ablative and reflective alike, might not make it through CA nor BD, but might leave a nasty ding in both armor sets TL depending on both weapon and armor. I might add an optional rule for a misfire on snake-eyes or something, where the "whipping around" effect noted by the US military researchers kicks in, and you wind up hitting ... I don't know, some car or lamp post or building that's lateral to you and your opposition.

It's been about 40 or so years since I saw that NOVA doc, and I still remember all that stuff. Amazing. That's about all I got. If I come across the SDI documentary I'll try and post a link here. I'm sure there're other resources out there.

Mass Drivers in TNE, huh? Oh well. I guess this is just another moment where I insert both left and right foot in my eating apparatus.

I guess I've had a very out-dated mode of thought here. I saw lots of addons for Car Wars, SFB, GURPS and D&D over the years, but rarely did I ever see any real significant gear come out for CT or MT, and as such I had this "add and expand" thinking for the game in terms of new gear. I only ever read the background for T4, never read much of TNE which I only got a few years back. So, oh well. I thought it was new and unique. Silly me.

Still, if I get bored I may write something up and post it.

Tell me more about your ideas for a PPC please.

There are lots of other good ideas there.
So, rough guess here, it might have several times the punch of a Lahti in terms of penetration, but might only deliver 3D or maybe just 2D damage, but might have the same range DMs as a laser rifle or carbine. I hope that helps.

And finally, the EMGs (mass drivers) have a report; i.e. they make noise and spit electric sparks as their flash. It sounds different from regular percussion weapons, but is essentially the same effect.

EMGs (mass drivers) have a report; i.e. they make noise and spit electric sparks as their flash. It sounds different from regular percussion weapons, but is essentially the same effect.
There are 2 factors involved in that.
  • Supersonic boom trailing the projectile that is exceeding mach 1 velocity.
  • The smoke and sparks are the result of atmospheric heating of the discarding sabot somewhat literally combusting/cooking off at muzzle velocity. The high density penetrator is made of "sterner stuff" than the lightweight discarding sabot "packaging" the USN was using for their railgun design (until they canceled the project) so atmospheric friction doesn't combust/cook off the surface of the projectile once it is free of the discarding sabot.
In terms of firing signature, both of these factors are above zero, but are far lower than what you would get out of CPR gun relying on controlled explosions to propel the projectile. So relative to a CPR gun, an EMG has a lower signature, but that signature is not zero.

A lot of it I'm basing on a lot of the experimental models I saw from universities. Some student projects, others DIY home-brew stuff, but all had sparks flying out the end of the barrel and made a kind of electric "snap" or "pop". It's an electrical flavor to be sure, and I only saw a video of these things, so I can't say as to how loud they actually are, but it's noticeable.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The Gauss weapons I saw were essentially student projects or proof of concept university research projects. They were pretty much table top kind of things, a few were set on the floor, but they all made noise and spat sparks. More or less akin to a Starcraft marine "Gauss gun", or something similar.

Ah, simians and they're toys.

Yeah, I think at higher man portable powers a personal version might have some kind of report. I've seen a few that don't make much flash or bang. If for no other reason, then YTU and all that ... make 'em cinematic. 👌

I think at higher man portable powers a personal version might have some kind of report.
They aren't 0 dB "silent" weapons, no.
But they don't have a "controlled propulsive explosion" powering them either, so you don't get the loud crack of CPR gunfire either.

Report: yes.
Reduced: massively.

Higher man portable power will result in the sonic boom of the supersonic projectile arriving (and presumably hitting something/someone), but you won't hear a faraway 💥 BOOM sound from the muzzle of the weapon.

Cue clip from Quigley Down Under shooting through two men who lined up in his sights.

Also, FWIW, even with CURRENT tech and CPR projectiles - if it's a supersonic round and you're on the receiving end, bad things have already happened before you hear that report. Voice of experience.

The demos I've seen throughout the 80s and 90s all made sparks as per a percussion flash, and made a loud snap. They weren't "weapons" as such, just technology demonstrators. The "weapons" I've seen on YouTube are essentially air rifles in terms of power. You can put a hole in a can, but that's about it. A lot of it comes down to energy density. Traveller being in the 35th century has, as per the rules, overcome the energy density problem, and as per the rules that standard Gauss Gun is completely silent.

My option was a rougher, cheaper, not as sleek, bargain rough-and-ready, larger caliber weapon that made noise and flash as per technology demonstrators, but was refined enough to be an infantry weapon that could shoot a variety of munitions types.

If someone want to modify that for their gaming session, then go right ahead.

I'm going to try and do some basic writeups for these bad boys.

I'll also do a man portable minigun with some operating instructions; both 9mm and the 308 version so you can live out your Jesse Ventura Predator fantasies.

The demos I've seen throughout the 80s and 90s all made sparks as per a percussion flash, and made a loud snap.
Much of the sparks was simply from the projectile running along the rails. A problem with modern railguns is "barrel" wear. As I understand it, they wear quite quickly. The snap was likely from from the fast discharge of current (like a static electricity spark) and, perhaps, the sonic crack of the round punching through the sound barrier.

A problem with modern railguns is "barrel" wear.
Well, the launch forces pushing the projectile down the barrel are also literally trying to split the barrel open away from the projectile.

Basically, every single shot fired is pushing the engineering towards this kind of result (image for reference).

Burst_Barrel.jpg

That's a problem, because every shot fired makes the railgun try to destroy itself due to the forces involved. It's quite the engineering challenge to try and solve ... and it's one of those "make an immovable object that can stop an unstoppable force" kinds of deals.

Back