• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Weapons I've proposed

Composite armour, ceramic and kevlar.

There are other factors, especially when you get to really large artillery like capital ship primary armament, higher velocity means flatter trajectory, and in theory, greater accuracy in terms of point and click.

However, less wear and tear on the barrels and the hull with default gun muzzle velocity, and lobbying shells tends to hit the deck rather than the thicker side armour.

Support your right to arm bears!

(This message brought to you by the Ursa Defense League of Ley Sector.)
7c7274b8e32aea9d70f83fcf5baa8af1bb14aae0.gif

Guns and bears, 9mm verse 45acp, I'm not going to leave my current identity under a false pretense.

Nobody wants to propose alternatives? Maybe you need to go make junk B-movies like Total Recall.

Guns and bears, 9mm verse 45acp, I'm not going to leave my current identity under a false pretense.

Nobody wants to propose alternatives? Maybe you need to go make junk B-movies like Total Recall.
Gyrojet (wikipedia) guns, but at a high enough TL to be reliable and affordable? This is probably the Accelerator Rifle (and perhaps a pistol version) from LBB4 and Snapshot, though.

Well, I just read an article about a new ammunition from Federal (an ammunition company), the .30 Federal Super Carry.

This boils down to 9mm performance from a .30 caliber (7.62mm) cartridge. The Body Pistol is based on a .380 cartridge (plus the whole plastic bits). So this is a bit hotter, but a smaller diameter round, so you can fit more cartridges in to the same sized magazine.

In Traveler terms its basically a Body Pistol with Auto Pistol performance.

With that:

Body Pistol+: A small frame plastic firearm designed to fire 7.5mm ammunition at high velocities. Carries more ammunition in the same size frame, and delivers better performance than the Body Pistol.

Base Weight: 350 Ammo Weight: 50 Rd/clip: 8 Length Overall: 100 Base Price: 600 Ammo Price: 25
Required Dex: 8 DM: -3 Adv Dex: 11 DM: +1
Weapons: Nothing/Jack/Reflec: +1 Mesh: -1 Cloth: -3 Ablat: -1 Combat Armor: -5

So, for 100Cr more than a Body Pistol, you get AP performance, and 30% more ammunition. It weighs a little more to handle the higher pressures.

Weapon systems can be rated how effective they are against expected opposition.

In the right conditions, a twenty two long rifle can be lethal.

It's unlikely that most Traveller core systems that civilians will have armoured protective clothing, so having access to a gauss pistol isn't necessary to kill them, should someone contemplate first degree murder.

Well, that was kind of the gist of the shotgun-Gauss hybrid. The idea I had in my mind, and your imagination may differ, is that it would be abundle of needles wrapped by some material that broke away, thus letting the individual projectiles flare out or separate during flight. I imagined that there might be a similar spread or area effect that the current shotgun has, but with the penetration of a Gauss based weapon.

It was one of my minor gripes with the basic CT combat system as a whole. As functional as it was and is, it didn't allow for too much wiggle room in terms of variant effects. What we're discussing here is an example, but so is the JTAS article on Archaic weapons, where they're essentially all 2D or mostly 3D in damage. So, I don't know.

Please tweak, alter or propose your own version of what I've put down here.
Not that hard to do in CT Striker terms. Less pen as I would be assuming free floating balls in a somewhat wider ‘barrel’, then just apply the shotgun multi hit bonus.

Say a pen value of 4 with the +6 hit mod.

Should also have a lot more ammo count as each round is just the steel balls plus container to the acceleration chamber. So the payoff might be a shotgun with 40 rounds.

Back