• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Web-based Automatic Sector Data / Map pdf Generator

Oh wow! I cannot tell you how useful this is. :D I just wish I could print out the whole 1218 pages and bind it cheaply.

Who needs ebay?

I've updated the script to use the excellent sec2pdf for generating 'regions' and 'labels':

SpinSubsec.png
SpinSec.png

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">label 1024/left SWORD
label 1024/left,low,+13 WORLDS
label 1426/low BORDER WORLDS
label 0929/low,left,SMALL,subsec THIRD IMPERIUM
label 2529/large,quad THIRD IMPERIUM
label 1306/subsec THIRD IMPERIUM
label 2109/subsec THIRD IMPERIUM
region 0913 1012 1011 1010 1110 1209 1210 1311 1211 1112 1113 1013 0914 0915 0914 0913 lightgreen</pre>[/QUOTE]etc. Enjoy!

Just as an FYI, J Greely and I identified and tracked down a bug in the border generation code of allygen.pl. Here's the diff:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> my $checklast = 5;
my ($c1,$r1) = ($c,$r);
my ($cn,$rn);
! until ($checked[4] and $checked[5]) {
last if $c == $c1 and $r == $r1 and $checked
[$checkfirst];
$checklast = $checkfirst + 5;
my $dir;
--- 179,185 ----
my $checklast = 5;
my ($c1,$r1) = ($c,$r);
my ($cn,$rn);
! while(1) {
last if $c == $c1 and $r == $r1 and $checked
[$checkfirst];
$checklast = $checkfirst + 5;
my $dir;</pre>[/QUOTE]This doesn't tend to show in the regions that allygen creates, but they can show up if you tweak the algorithms (as I've been doing).

Cool! Any chance you might be free to share your tweaked code? Would love to see it.

Also - I'd love it if he could implement shapes, instead of the letter codes, for bases... I could refactor a lot of my code

I like both the coloured and B&W versions. Just a thought, it'd be nice to see the colours follow the scheme of the old CT Deluxe map, e.g.:

Imperium = red
Zhodani = blue
Darrian = yellow
Sword Words = light blue
Border Worlds = pink (as now)
Arden = green (as now)

Have you tried different shades of grey for the B&W version? Although maybe the variations wouldn't be obvious enough to be worthwhile.

J Greely's not actively updating his code right now; he just has the same itch that I do to not let a bug linger. So if you want sec2pdf updated I think you're going to have to do it yourself.

I'll send the allygen code tweaks via email.

PS: Recommended tweak for the on-topic conversation: thicken up the borders!

It's a bummer to hear he's apparently not interested in making any more updates to his already-great program. I'd call the current state of sec2pdf (while great) not exactly bug-free. :(

As an example, the cliphack stuff alone is a real pain.

Assuming you're stroking closed paths for your bordered regions, you might consider clipping to the path first, so that the stroke gets rendered inside the hexes only. I've tried this and it looks great; also, you don't get schmutz where two borders overlap.

Back