• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: What One Thing Would You Change About Classic Traveller?

Why?

Or once combat starts it really doesn't make much of a difference....
I think the defender would be more likely to be able to fire first on someone moving into range, as move and fire, favors the attacker, however I have seen it done that way, mostly in computer games though.

Ok, I see the reasoning....
You are not wrong though, it would kind of set up a more long range view, because you wouldn't want to move to where they could move and fire on you, and instead try to move just enough, where if someone did get close enough you could move and attack them.

Initiative/surprise determines who goes first
everyone plot movement
everyone move to half way point
laser fire in initiative order
everyone complete move
missile movement
antimissile/ECM
missile impact
damage resolution

So, I did some simulations. Simple solar system sim with ships flitting about. And got some interesting results.

Given the planet Earth and a 1G (10 m/s^2) starship in orbit around said planet, and the mad race to 100D (1,200,000,000m, given a 12,000Kkm Earth diameter), which way is the fastest?

The planet is traveling "due south" at 30km/s, the ship adopts that as its initial velocity. The ship started at a 10,000km orbit.

I tried three directions. I tried due north (opposite the planet), south (with the planet), and west.

Know which way was fastest?

West.

Wanna know by how much?

8 seconds. Is that the most disappointing spoiler you've ever seen?

Going north and south were identical.

West was 15606 seconds, North and South was 15614 seconds.

Raw time for the distance (no gravity) is 15491s.

It was surprising that both North and South were the same, but going North you have to overcome the initial vector in the opposite direction, and going South you get it as a boost "for free".

So, for leaving a planet, and wanting to get to 100D, it doesn't seem too much matter which direction you go.

Arriving? More complicated problem. Dunno yet.

What this does say is a 1G drive is crazy powerful.

So, I did some simulations. Simple solar system sim with ships flitting about. And got some interesting results.
I am amused...

Arriving? More complicated problem. Dunno yet.
Let us know...

What this does say is a 1G drive is crazy powerful.
Been saying that for years.... 1g is Jet Fighter levels of thrust...

Though I have been pondering cutting the maneuver ratings in half... I.e. M1 is 0.5g... or 5m/s^2. I like the second notation better.

Back