• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What rules or tables have you changed already?

Career as 'class' in terms of 'special powers' was implicit in CT on, with certain careers having X skills and not other skills.

Career as 'class' in terms of 'special powers' was implicit in CT on, with certain careers having X skills and not other skills.

Exactly! :)

And....
Terms of Service implies 'Level'. Cepheus grants "level based benefits" based on Terms of Service

Terms Skills Levels
1 6-8 (Basic Training + 2 (Scouts) or +1 (Commission) or +0 (Failed Commission)
2 7-10 (Training + 2 (Scouts) or +1 (Commission/Advancement) or +0 (Failed Commission/Advancement)
3 8-12
4 9-14
5 10-16 (+Plus Retirement Benefit)

The two tricks are:
A.How to fill the 37 blanks for a career (24 Skills, 7 Ranks, 6 for qualification, survival, etc.)
B.Describing the class features....special training

Because these are my changes to the Cepheus Engine and an overview of my philosophy of those changes, in the spirit of this thread. When I have a more detailed sample I wish to share I will post in another thread in the 'Cepheus General' forum.

If I was talking about doing Traveller using Savage Worlds or Roll and Keep rules, I would post in the 'Other Gaming' Forum. Someone already did Savage Traveller years ago. You asked why. This and my previous responses are to my positions and their validity to be in this and not other forums.

Is there a problem with that?

Just wondering. I've started my "house rules" page of ideas. One is:

Career as skill. A 3 term Naval character would have Navy-3 to cover all the odds and ends you learn about Navy Life. Those of you who have served know what I mean.

I used that same rule when I first bought the LBB box set.

Just wondering. I've started my "house rules" page of ideas. One is:

Career as skill. A 3 term Naval character would have Navy-3 to cover all the odds and ends you learn about Navy Life. Those of you who have served know what I mean.

I used that same rule when I first bought the LBB box set.

Part of me likes it. It's like the speech Bruce Willis gives in Armageddon. "I've been drilling for 20 years..."
From a game mechanics standpoint though, having a Skill Level of 3 (or 4 or 5) is pretty studly even it is for such an obscure topic, without house ruling further that is. But house ruling and publishing it is the beauty of OGL.

I thought at one time to do this for my conversions. Makes it sound too much like "class and level" though. Even for me. :rofl:

Part of me likes it. It's like the speech Bruce Willis gives in Armageddon. "I've been drilling for 20 years..."
From a game mechanics standpoint though, having a Skill Level of 3 (or 4 or 5) is pretty studly even it is for such an obscure topic, without house ruling further that is. But house ruling and publishing it is the beauty of OGL.

I thought at one time to do this for my conversions. Makes it sound too much like "class and level" though. Even for me. :rofl:

The option I chose is that it covers all the "Basic Training" skills that MgT uses, without the need to write long lists of 0-level skills, but at level 0. So "Navy-3" is effectively equivalent to "Navy-1", since both only mean "you know the basics of serving in the Navy", i.e., all reasonable situation throws are unpenalized.

I like the "General Skills at 0 level".

Interesting side note from a US Navy friend. Officers get assigned to different departments through the course of their career progression. In game terms they would have to know a lot of skills at 0 level to be in charge of each Division. By the time a Navy officer was O-3 or so they would have rotated through each of the departments and have skills like Pilot, Engineering, Navigation, etc.

Would it be reasonable to allow Officers or characters with Edu 8+ to have a 0 level in Advanced Ed skills after their first term? Don't have my book handy.

I like the "General Skills at 0 level".

Interesting side note from a US Navy friend. Officers get assigned to different departments through the course of their career progression. In game terms they would have to know a lot of skills at 0 level to be in charge of each Division. By the time a Navy officer was O-3 or so they would have rotated through each of the departments and have skills like Pilot, Engineering, Navigation, etc.

Would it be reasonable to allow Officers or characters with Edu 8+ to have a 0 level in Advanced Ed skills after their first term? Don't have my book handy.

It is the same for the US Army. Everybody has a branch, but most are detailed out at O3 (As an Infantry Officer, you may not want command of a Signal Company, but you will take it over the option of not having command time as a Captain.)

In my version of CE, once a character has a commission, they are no longer eligible for "hard" skills, only soft skills (just like RL).

Thinking of changing some of the Schools to a sequence. For example, an Enlisted character would get "Career School" as a skill roll. First time would be OCS, then Staff College, then Command College.

Hmm...maybe some general mods as well. Say 0 level skills and Edu boost if low. In general, paperwork OCS grads tend to have college (Edu 8+). Battlefield promotions can be whatever.

Thinking of changing some of the Schools to a sequence. For example, an Enlisted character would get "Career School" as a skill roll. First time would be OCS, then Staff College, then Command College.

Hmm...maybe some general mods as well. Say 0 level skills and Edu boost if low. In general, paperwork OCS grads tend to have college (Edu 8+). Battlefield promotions can be whatever.

I used to make 2nd Lts at Ft. Benning - you could attend OCS without a 4 year degree (90 hour requirement), but a 4 year degree was a requirement for Cpt.

I'd say have the character take an EDU before a skill if they don't meet the education requirement.

I used to make 2nd Lts at Ft. Benning - you could attend OCS without a 4 year degree (90 hour requirement), but a 4 year degree was a requirement for Cpt.

I'd say have the character take an EDU before a skill if they don't meet the education requirement.

Wouldn't that be equivalent to an Associates plus a little, even if the hours didn't collate into an actual degree plan?

Wouldn't that be equivalent to an Associates plus a little, even if the hours didn't collate into an actual degree plan?

Not a little - Associate - 60 - 65 hours (depending on the degree plan). 90 hours is the rough equivalent of 3 years at a 4 year institution (full time).

The candidates also had to have an approved degree plan.

Back