• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What would you find at an Ancient site?

How come this group can find and destroy the torp but no previous group has been able to?

It's almost as if the torp is aware enough to recognise something within this group that will further its aims...

Have you read the MgT version of Secret of the Ancients?

Grandfather isn't the only Ancient to survive.

The Ancients can download their personalities and memories - souls even - into various esoteric substrates that can preserve their identities for millenia - and act as a back up if they are taken out.

The Ancients can psionically possess other sophonts.

What if the torp is actually the reliquary of a defeated Ancient and recognises in one of the PCs a perfect 'vessel' to get it off world and back into the great game...

If you don't want to use the Ancients then consider using a different 'primordial' civilization that also reached ridiculous levels of technology - they do exist in the OTU...

perhaps it is an Abyssal probe/torpedo...

Good point!

How come this group can find and destroy the torp but no previous group has been able to?

I was thinking along those lines myself. My first answer was that no one from any of the crashed ships ever got down into the mine. The players are the first to do so, since the original miners.

Which prompted me to consider that maybe the miners tried. The charges are already in place, they just didn't get set off. The charges are still all packed around the torpedo. But the floor is strewn with the still vacc-suited bodies of the miners that tried, their weapons still lying beside them.

And all around are all those pesky round nodules. I think the players should be able to put two and two together at this point, and try to think of a way to set off the charges, without actually being in the chamber when they go off. (If they were, I would think that would be bad!)

It's almost as if the torp is aware enough to recognise something within this group that will further its aims...

Hmmm...I like the way you think!

Have you read the MgT version of Secret of the Ancients?

No, I can't say I have. Just the little, black book adventure.

Grandfather isn't the only Ancient to survive.

The Ancients can download their personalities and memories - souls even - into various esoteric substrates that can preserve their identities for millenia - and act as a back up if they are taken out.

The Ancients can psionically possess other sophonts.

What if the torp is actually the reliquary of a defeated Ancient and recognises in one of the PCs a perfect 'vessel' to get it off world and back into the great game...

That's genius! If there is a NPC that is somehow present, and survives...I promise you that will happen!

If you don't want to use the Ancients then consider using a different 'primordial' civilization that also reached ridiculous levels of technology - they do exist in the OTU...

perhaps it is an Abyssal probe/torpedo...

I really liked whulorigan's suggestion about the Archon Thesis! I have every intention of bringing that up. It is my understanding the "Archons" in the OTU are, in fact, a fabrication. So it is likely the players will never be able to deduce who built this torpedo, whether it is Grandfather & Co., or someone else.

And thanks for your great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Back