• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General What's initially in the Ship's Locker ?

There are about three circumstances where you'd like to know what exactly is in the ship's locker, when you look into that of a smallcraft, a hundred tonne scout and a two hundred tonne starship.

It's likely that the chandlers will completely stock the locker after the vessel has been launched with a standard array of utilitarian supplies and gear compiled by the lowest bidder, and unless it's noted on the handover, the locker will be restocked.

It is possible that the small items required by law to be on board for safety of any passengers, as with any nautical vessel today carrying passengers, are restocked when the ship has its annual maintenance.

It can be a source of legal issues for tramping around in a Free Trader with occasional passengers. Put off the annual maintenance for too long, as often is the case with these private ships on the fringe, and eventually all the survival gear required (extra emergency suits, food bars, water, flares, whatever...) first expires, then becomes iffy in actual use - and certainly warrants a ticket or worse eventually when caught by customs and licensing officials.

I always imagined that would be an inherent quality in those old, creaky tramp freighters puffing along the coasts of Africa and the Far East now and back in the day, and so should be among the Free Traders popping along the edges of civilized space - more or less dependable and with able crews of dubious character, but good adventure fodder and not always operating according to the rules.

BTW:

IMATU I have used "Emergency Vacc Suits" for a stand-in for life vests. They are intended for one use only, and are pretty one-size-fits-most with adjustable straps all over them to get the fit right. They are definitely light duty suits with a small modular PLSS that is enough to "get you there and not farther", like 48 hrs..

The suit has a flexible head bubble, bellows type joints and is a bright neon yellow/black/orange with chemlight panels on the arms and legs so you can wave those around to signal. It has a small disposable radio and battery pack good for 30 days low power.

While it has an effective armor value of Cloth for determining durability in use, that is relative. It will start to come apart in hard (ie., PC level use) over time and with repeated use becomes pretty unreliable, even with duct tape.

It is designed so a that in the even of hull evacuation the passenger can get in it quickly and survive until the crew fixes the problem. Or in case of having to "bail out" into space and float until picked up by the crew in a ship's small craft.

You can plug the PLSS into the ship's life support system with the attached cable that plugs into the myriad emergency life support stations that are through out a ship. These emer stations are small, strobe-lit affairs (the strobe comes on in an emergency) and in places where passenger can easily get to (like in each stateroom and in common areas), and at each crew action/operations station. The crew uses them to conserve their own suit air routinely, so I always assume crew have a full PLSS if they are off the ship's system for any reason. Crash couches have them, too, so a lifeboat would have the passengers plugged into the craft's system in the even of an emergency.

For those passengers who can't fit an emergency suit (children, non-humanoids, the grossly obese, etc..) there are rescue balls to use.

I second SPacebadger's game philosophy on similar levels, too.

I won't go exhaustively into the details of rescue/emergency procedures and how many individual flares are in a kit until the time comes that the players really have to know for the sake of the adventure at hand. The characters are from space-faring careers, usually, and they have at some time had a lecture/film/read a manual on the subject, and maybe even had to go through a similar event.

The character knows these thing, not the player, so if the emergency happens all I have to do is "remind" the PC's that there are emergency kits for each crew and passenger required by law and replenished each annual maintenance.

Oh wait, you haven't had that overhaul done for two years? Well, the emer suits might be cracking on the folds a bit... -1 on the getting the suit on then and see if the arm tears.... that's it. Just that kind of thing to add a little suspense and excitement.

As for "emergency kits" one of the JTAS issues has a kit fully described in it that I use in my games. One per passenger, which given the contents may seem awfully redundant, but that's how it is RL, too. They have things like a small emergency rifle for game and signaling (and maybe defense but it's about carbine strength), food, water, another radio, single person shelter tent, mirror.....)

To make mine and my player's lives easier I just assume one is stashed for each crash couch on a small craft, two per any size stateroom (stored in the stateroom unless otherwise noted).

They are another good reason to have lifeboat drills for passengers so they will remember to grab their kit after putting on the emer suit, and then run for the lifeboat while rolling the kids along inside their hamster ball.

An aged lower tech level vacc suit.
A brace of service autopistols without ammunition.
Boxes of beyond good date emergency rations.
Pieces of replaced panels and broken electronic parts.

Basically stuff of questionable value that wouldn't have been taken by the former owners. Like that stuff that is leftover in basements and attics after you move house.

What Aldan Romar said is why my characters (me) always made sure to clean out and list what was in the locker, and the location of any other emergency supplies or strange item. Even to the point of keeping use-by dates.

As a GM, I made sure to keep records of what the players were buying, the quality and the use-by and actual expiration date of consumables.

I also had my Space Guard and Base inspection personnel do random 'safety checks' on critical equipment. Kind of like how the Coast Guard does inspections. Woe be unto him/her/it whose safety equipment is not up to snuff.

And nothing is more annoying than that 24 hour inflation check on your space suit when you're trying to do a quick turn and burn.

Back