• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why is CT Modified So Much?

tbeard1999

SOC-14 1K
This question was posed in another thread and I felt that it deserved its own thread (it's also quite tangential from the topic of the other thread).

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ishmael James:
S4..no degradation of wounds? ...then its broken and cannot be made "realistic"....without that, debating hit points/damage is ludicrous

but then "unless by GM choice" says it all.
and I don't think anyone uses only plain vanilla CT anyways
I'm not sure if I've ever met anyone who plays CT straight out of the box un-modded either.

Strange. There's something about Traveller (all versions) that people just need to mod it. I'd say it has something to do with the type of players Traveller attracts, but it attracts me, and I typically don't mod other rpgs I play.

Sure, I'll come up with a tweak here, a prune there. But, for most other rpgs, I don't make any major changes--not near as big or as many as I do with Traveller.

Why is that?

I don't know.

Everybody seems to have their own "House" system when it comes to Trav.

Hmm...maybe it's because the Traveller rules themselves, especially the CT rules, encourage one to think outside of the box and come up with rolls and checks all on his own.
</font>[/QUOTE]The only game I've ever seen that has a similar level of player-modding is The Fantasy Trip, a FRPG designed by Steve Jackson and published by Metagaming in the late 1970s. It's the precursor to GURPS (and in my opinion a much better game) and appears to have strongly influenced Champions as well (which heavily influenced GURPS). It was also (AFAIK) the first RPG that let you design characters from points. And it had an excellent tactical combat system (it started out as a gladitorial game, Melee) that is *still* better than anything in GURPs or D20. At one time, it was the best selling RPG after AD&D.

When Metagaming folded in 1983, no further TFT products came out. The owner of Metagaming vanished and the copyrights are in limbo (I think that Metagaming's creditors wound up with them, but had no idea what they had).

And yes, I'm a fan. There's a small, but very determined group of TFT players out there and they too have produced innumerable mods. See my website at http://reese.duneroller.com/tft/ for an example.

Some factors these games have in common:

1. Age. Both are from The Golden Age of Gaming, when giants strode the Earth, when the gaming-comic book nexus didn't exist, when the same people played Traveller and SPI's War in the East monster boardgame, when polyhedrals were pretty darned expensive, when d20s were marked 0-9 twice, when Games Workshop was mostly a UK reseller of American RPGs, when few people had home computers (though my first BASIC program was -- you guessed it -- a Traveller subsector generator), etc., etc.

2. Quality. Both games were highly regarded in the marketplace and had impeccable designer credentials -- Steve Jsckson and Marc Miller respectively. Although it must be said that CT was, for that time, far more polished and professionally presented than any other gaming product. At a time when game companies were publishing products typed on typewriters, CT was clearly the work of pros. It really wasn't until the 1980s that CT's presentation quality was matched by other games. TFT's production values were average.

3. d6s. <shrug> Could be just a coincidence, but both games use d6s exclusively.

4. Scope. TFT was the first system that truly had the potential to be a "universal" system. Traveller *was* a universal game simply because it had to handle TL0 through 15+.

5. No "official" support for many, many years. GDW stopped supporting CT when MT came out (and truthfully, I felt GDW's CT support was uninspiring for the most part, and I suspect that CT was eclipsed by the newer -- and very popular -- Twilight 2000). TFT had no official support after Metagaming folded in 1983. Personally, I consider this to be the key reason for rampant player modding. With no "official" support -- and no designer around to say "no, you shouldn't do that" both systems became sorta like "open source" products. Of course, if they weren't good games in the first place, no one would bother.

6. Uninspired Successors. Most of us TFT players couldn't wait for GURPS. We were very disappointed when it arrived. It kept few of the good things about TFT and almost all of the flaws. The CT players I knew couldn't wait for MT. We were very disappointed when it arrived. And alienated by the dispruption of the Third Imperium. The less said of the TNE abomination the better. A crappy game and a crappy setting...hard to do that and still get published. Of course, these are the folks who thought Dangerous Journeys was the bet to make...

CT was so heavily modded because, while it was feature rich, it had numerous gaps to be filled, and a lack of consistency. Different people filled the gaps different ways, and many filed off the rough bits they didn't like.

TFT is modded so much because certain rules triggered a development path not working with the literary conventions of Wizards not being "hardbodies." A successful T&T Wizard is going to look darned near like a weight-lifter.

And it was intended to be a multi-genre system.

I think the extensive modding comes from the fact that CT is an incomplete system, in that some of the implications of the basic system are not explicitly addressed. This means refs come up against situations where there are no rules, or even hints, for.

Also, a few areas of clunkiness need streamlining (such as armour mods and 'hit points'). This is easy in CT because of it's minimalism.

Another minor problem is that, for all it's simplicity, you still have to do an awful ot of refering to definitions, whether it's running a battle between someone armed with an SMG (LBB1) and an ACR (LBB4), or deciphering a UWP

However, unlike other systems, with Traveller you can see the wood for the trees. This makes it less daunting to mod.

(laugh) in CT the rules have nothing to do with the game. they're just minimal simulations, and isolated simulations at that. character generation has nothing to do with personal combat, which has nothing to do with the setting, etc. anyone can plug and play in nice easily-managed lumps their own ideas of what the rules for traveller should be.

d&d (for example) is a different story. there the rules are the game, because they're all about "character development" i.e. acquisition of personal powers. changing those would mean 1) messing around with the acquisition of personal powers (and who wants to do that?), and 2) making not just a new ruleset, but an entirely new game, which most people don't care to do.

I think the extensive modding comes from the fact that CT is an incomplete system, in that some of the implications of the basic system are not explicitly addressed. This means refs come up against situations where there are no rules, or even hints, for.

Also, a few areas of clunkiness need streamlining (such as armour mods and 'hit points'). This is easy in CT because of it's minimalism.

Another minor problem is that, for all it's simplicity, you still have to do an awful ot of refering to definitions, whether it's running a battle between someone armed with an SMG (LBB1) and an ACR (LBB4), or deciphering a UWP

However, unlike other systems, with Traveller you can see the wood for the trees. This makes it less daunting to mod.

(laugh) in CT the rules have nothing to do with the game. they're just minimal simulations, and isolated simulations at that. character generation has nothing to do with personal combat, which has nothing to do with the setting, etc. anyone can plug and play in nice easily-managed lumps their own ideas of what the rules for traveller should be.

d&d (for example) is a different story. there the rules are the game, because they're all about "character development" i.e. acquisition of personal powers. changing those would mean 1) messing around with the acquisition of personal powers (and who wants to do that?), and 2) making not just a new ruleset, but an entirely new game, which most people don't care to do.

Originally posted by flykiller:
Most 1st generation RPGs were modified versions of DnD. Take a good close look at 2nd edition Runequest some time...

House rules were pretty common in the original DnD days. They seem to have become less common over time, as the game has become more and more convoluted.

There are, however, still old-school DnD players around. For example, the "Classic D&D" forum at www.dragonsfoot.org regularly features threads in which the rules are bent, folded, spindled and mutilated to a degree that matches anything I've ever seen with Traveller.

Can you imagine a version of DnD that doesn't use Characteristics? What about one where Hit Points aren't randomly rolled either? Both of these have come up recently.

Of course, universal systems like the Hero System explicitly require the use of house rules. Every single Hero System campaign involves decisions about how the rules are going to work. Some of these are choices between "official" options, but "other" options are considered equally legitimate. "Your game, your rules" is pretty much an official rule - one of the few that is rarely house ruled away...

CT is modified because it was designed to be.
In the LBBs the Referee is encouraged to make decisions and create alternatives.
The situation is summed up on the last page of Book 3:

"Traveller is necessarily a framework, describing the barest essentials for an infinite universe."

My reading for that was, and still is, 'fill in the gaps and enjoy yourselves.' Over the years, I've expanded the original 8 LBBs to 16 with a variety of borrowings from later editions and other games, and of course a lot of my own imagination.

MTU is *mine*, both in its content and its rule set. To me, it's what CT is about. Its adaptability is probably why I'm still using it after 30 years. :cool:

Originally posted by Icosahedron:
CT is modified because it was designed to be.
Check out pg. 34-35 of Book 0. It's a chapter devoted to modifying Traveller.

Pg. 32 of Book 0 discusses handing out a list of House Rules to your campaign players...there's something I don't think I've seen in a modern rpg.

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
Pg. 32 of Book 0 discusses handing out a list of House Rules to your campaign players...there's something I don't think I've seen in a modern rpg.
A modern game wouldn't dare for fear of being seen as unprofessional and/or incomplete and/or a rip off because games cost too much and/or something else.

Originally posted by Icosahedron:
CT is modified because it was designed to be. In the LBBs the Referee is encouraged to make decisions and create alternatives.
The situation is summed up on the last page of Book 3:

"Traveller is necessarily a framework, describing the barest essentials for an infinite universe."
Game, Set, and Match to Icosahedron.

Early, three-book-only, CT was a set of basic RPG rules without a RPG setting.

That seems completely counterintuitive to us now because the development path followed by RPG rules over the last two decades has essentially copied the path followed by computer operating systems. There's been a 'market shake out' centered on the 'ease of use' or 'shallow' learning curve that widespread familiarity provides.

d20 is Windows. We have a RPG system used in well over 90% of RPG settings despite it not being the best system choice for all those settings. For good or ill, d20 is the system that people creating a RPG setting must take in account if they want to make sales, just as computer game designers with their eyes on sales figures must take into account Windows.

GURPS and the other remaining RPG systems are little more than OS-X and Linux; good systems that handle some different situations better than d20/Windows but not better enough to make the majority of RPG players bother to learn how to use them.

CT was created long before this RPG system 'market shake out'. Stretching my analogy a bit here, CT is from an era when people wrote their own computer operating systems after building their own computers. That's why CT is different.

Have fun,
Bill

Close, but not quite right, Bill.

CT had the very barest essentials of a setting implied in the rules themselves, rather than the fill-text later games came to rely upon. Little tidbits, like the Travelling Chapter, and the CGen mechanics, and the ship financing all imply setting elements, but a lot was left to the referee to divine out of the rules-hash.

It was clear that there was an implied setting, but not enough was shown in books 1-3 to truly make much of it, other than:
1) There is an interstellar Imperium
2) The imperium has a system of nobility
3) There is a very low financing rate for ships
4) Some form of price fixing is in place *
5) Much of space is not adequately Patrolled *
6) The imperium does not regulate local government's local approaches to governance nor law.
7) The Imperium has Naval and Scout bases throughout known imperial space. *

* implied rather than explicit;

Originally posted by Vargas:
A modern game wouldn't dare for fear of being seen as unprofessional and/or incomplete and/or a rip off because games cost too much and/or something else.
Points to sig...

Hunter

Originally posted by Vargas:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Supplement Four:
</font>
Hero System even provides forms to do so upon!

Back