• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Wiki uneditable?

77topaz

SOC-14 1K
On the Traveller Wiki's current site (travellerwiki.org), I cannot edit anything because the database is "locked for maintainance". Why is this, and how long can it be expected to last (i.e. when will the wiki be editable again)?

On the Traveller Wiki's current site (travellerwiki.org), I cannot edit anything because the database is "locked for maintainance". Why is this, and how long can it be expected to last (i.e. when will the wiki be editable again)?

The wiki at travellerwiki.org is being moved to wiki.travellerrpg.com (i.e. here with the COTI boards). There are still server and DNS issues that prevent the latter from being seen and opened. These issues are being resolved. When I have more information I'll post it here.

I've opened the wiki at travellerwiki.org for editing again until these issues are resolved.

Last edited:
The wiki at travellerwiki.org is being moved to wiki.travellerrpg.com (i.e. here with the COTI boards). There are still server and DNS issues that prevent the latter from being seen and opened. These issues are being resolved. When I have more information I'll post it here.

I've opened the wiki at travellerwiki.org for editing again until these issues are resolved.

Okay. How long do you think it will be until the wiki at wiki.travellerrpg.com will be functional?
Also, is all the data on the small wiki that is already at this site (the old one) also on the travellerwiki.org wiki?

Okay. How long do you think it will be until the wiki at wiki.travellerrpg.com will be functional?
Also, is all the data on the small wiki that is already at this site (the old one) also on the travellerwiki.org wiki?

I do not know when the final move will take place. There are still outstanding server configuration issues to be resolved. The wiki server is shared with the CotI server and the whole thing is going through upgrades. Aramis has posted announcements regarding the upgrades.

As far as I know all the data in the old wiki is either already in the main wiki, or are items not available under the QuikLink fair use policy.

wiki.travellerrpg.com is now the link in the navbar. (just set.)

The upgrade process is supposedly done, and all the nightmare stuff seems to have worked itself out, save for the testing environment. (which was broken BEFORE the move).

So, TJoneslo, the wiki is your show...

I getan 'Internet Explorer cannot display the page' error when I press the link to the wiki.

(Also, 'Encyclopedia' is missing an 'e'.)

Hans

I getan 'Internet Explorer cannot display the page' error when I press the link to the wiki.

(Also, 'Encyclopedia' is missing an 'e'.)

Hans

Nah, it's simply on the wrong side of the d.

Hunter typoed. I've fixed.

Link is working fine here.

Internet Explorer, however, is utter drekh. THE WORST of all browsers I've had to deal with. Well behind the standards curve, and actually attempting to contravene standards in a few areas. If you're using IE, there's your biggest problem.

Internet Explorer, however, is utter drekh. THE WORST of all browsers I've had to deal with. Well behind the standards curve, and actually attempting to contravene standards in a few areas. If you're using IE, there's your biggest problem.

My problem is that the browser I'm using, which can display any other page I usually frequent, can't display this particular page. It seems to me that William of Occam would agree with me that the difference must lie with the undisplayable page rather than the browser, however inferior it may be.

Hans

My problem is that the browser I'm using, which can display any other page I usually frequent, can't display this particular page. It seems to me that William of Occam would agree with me that the difference must lie with the undisplayable page rather than the browser, however inferior it may be.

Hans

Indeed. The browser doesn't even "attempt" to load the page (a faulty connection might also cause the error screen, but would show loading), but rather jumps to the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" screen almost immediately, which probably indicates an error with the page itself. I might try using the diagnostic ("search for problems") function on the error screen to see if it comes up with anything useful.

Go ahead... I can't test IE issues - I don't have a windows box, and won't use it on friend's windows boxes (because they would take great umbrage about opening that back door to virus).

The page is a standard wiki install with standard content, renders fine in chrome for mac and on Android.

I'm getting a DNS failure at the moment, myself.

You might want to add ns1.farfuture.net ( 209.59.173.114) to your nameserver list.

I've just tried accessing the wiki using Firefox and got the message that 'Firefox cannot find the server wiki.travellerrpg.com.'

Hans

My login works; however, some recent edits do not seem to match between the two. To be precise, it seems to be the case that none of the edits that were made to travellerwiki.org after 7 April 2013 have been transferred to wiki.travellerrpg.com.

I made a copy of the entire travellerwiki.org site on 7-APR-2013, including the database. Before the wiki here goes live I'll move the database again (capturing all the changes at travellerwiki.org). So feel free to make changes.

Copying the database over is a manual, mutli-step, hour long process, including locking both wikis. I'd rather not be repeating it unless I really need to.

I've just tried accessing the wiki using Firefox and got the message that 'Firefox cannot find the server wiki.travellerrpg.com.'

Hans

Which means a DNS issue, not a problem with the page. The problem is in between you and the server, not at either one. (As I said, IE isn't standards compliant, including not telling you the correct nature of the error.)

Back