• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Zozer Games Cepheus Universal

I just got this. It is fantastic. Zozer's stuff is amazing.
I have been using Cepheus Universal as the foundation for my game and adding in various setting elements from other sources. Zozer's Hostile, for example, or Independance Games Rider, have both added to my setting. :) (y)

I have been using Cepheus Universal as the foundation for my game and adding in various setting elements from other sources. Zozer's Hostile, for example, or Independance Games Rider, have both added to my setting. :) (y)

I would love to hear more. Did your players build characters via the Universal method? Do you use their FTL methods or traditional Traveller Jump mechanics?

I would love to hear more. Did your players build characters via the Universal method? Do you use their FTL methods or traditional Traveller Jump mechanics?
I tend to use the Cepheus Universal "Design-based" character creation. What this does mean is I tend to have to make a career skill list if we can't use what already exists. One small, couple adventure, short set of games we did as Mech Pilots for fun. I built small mechs (think Heavy Gear sized) and I created the career skill lit for pilots. (See Below). Takes a little more work at times, but it keeps the core rule consistent.

As for ships, I tend to keep to the Classic Jump mechanics and the one week jump not the optional one day jump.

Mech Pilot
Automatic Skill
Mech Vehicle

Other Skills
Heavy Weapons
Gun Combat
Tactics
Mechanical
Comm
Recon

Appreciate your sharing. As heretical as it is, I think the design-based character creation is interesting. And I like how you demonstrated that with a little customization you can create new careers at a fraction of the effort it would have taken using the traditional method.

I also dont think I would ever let go of the one week per jump. It is the coolest part of Traveller.

Appreciate your sharing. As heretical as it is, I think the design-based character creation is interesting. And I like how you demonstrated that with a little customization you can create new careers at a fraction of the effort it would have taken using the traditional method.

I also dont think I would ever let go of the one week per jump. It is the coolest part of Traveller.
I find I like to use the traditional term method of character creation if the game will be a longer campaign where the effort matches the use. But for shorter one offs or short themed runs, the design-based method is fast and not as complex. I figure it works for the needs of the game.

But I will also point out, the design-based method really does point out how much the character is based on what the player elects to do with them more than the random die rolls. Using the mech example again, the four pilots are very different characters, but are really not that different spec wise. The personality and quarks added to the mix made them special more so than the six skills they selected. :)

And yes, the weeklong jump with most ships being in the jump 1-3 range will always be a fun part of any Traveller/Cepheus setting I create.

Back