• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 1

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 1

• Total voters
Mine isn't up there.

STAR TREK: The Role-playing Game, from FASA. It had a few quirks, but when it worked it really did play like the classic TV show.

well let's see, RPG's I'm currently playing a Shadowrun 6th ed. Old time I played something called "Empire of the petal throne" with a world called Tukemel Written by a College language professor M. A. R. Barker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_the_Petal_Throne is a good summary of what the game is.

I bought and still have some of the books. I know it was popular in the Biloxi, Mississippi area for a short while. Well, there were some things that irritated me about it so I never actually played it. Hope you had more fun with it than I did.

I bought and still have some of the books. I know it was popular in the Biloxi, Mississippi area for a short while. Well, there were some things that irritated me about it so I never actually played it. Hope you had more fun with it than I did.

I've never played Tekumel, though the tenacity and ardor of the setting's fans does speak well for it.

At the local convention scene, someone has worked up a homebrewed board game. It wasn't really for me, but for the other players, who were hardcore Tekumel people, they loved it.

Not sure when I last heard reference to Tekumel, but it was this century. Probably about 5 to 7 years ago at CoastCon in Biloxi.

Not sure when I last heard reference to Tekumel, but it was this century. Probably about 5 to 7 years ago at CoastCon in Biloxi.

Professor Barker's work is rather popular with the OSR crowd, and Tekumel as a setting has a LONG publication history - starting in 1976, but some version of the setting in print most of the time.

Never encountered Firefly, but would love to try it. Currently I'd say Gamma World, which is somewhere between SciFi and Fantasy, but there it is.

Never encountered Firefly, but would love to try it. Currently I'd say Gamma World, which is somewhere between SciFi and Fantasy, but there it is.

Sadly, Firefly turned in the license a year or so ago.

I picked Mechwarrior out of this lot, because I had a huge campaign arc for a mercenary team including all services - mechs, aerospace, scouts, armoured units - ready to go. Made up a bunch of planets, several sandbox scenarios that could easily be linked as required given players' penchant for going off on tangents. Unfortunately my group disintegrated before I got to run it, I moved abroad (not for the last time), and the campaign went the way of all my Mechwarrior and Battletech stuff. :(

Wow, not much love for Edge of the Empire here! Maybe because salty old grognards tend to look askance at buying game-specific proprietary dice? :D I know that was the case for me, until I actually got a chance to sit in on a few sessions. I adore that game now, along with Force and Destiny. The FFG narrative dice system is so, sooo much fun.

Wow, not much love for Edge of the Empire here! Maybe because salty old grognards tend to look askance at buying game-specific proprietary dice? :D I know that was the case for me, until I actually got a chance to sit in on a few sessions. I adore that game now, along with Force and Destiny. The FFG narrative dice system is so, sooo much fun.

I love the Star Wars/Genesys dice mechanics...
But I'm burned out on Star Wars. I've run more FFG SW than almost anything else. 10 campaign years. (At some points, two campaigns at a time.)

If you add WEG SW d6, I've run more SW than Traveller.

Back