• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

2300AD to return

Colin

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
Mongoose just made the announcement today that a Traveller-powered version of 2300AD would be produced and released by Mongoose in 2011.

Written by me.

It'd better be awesome... We don't want no fans lynching you... Now, Back to work!

Last edited:
So, let's see... GDW releases a game called "Traveller: 2300" that doesn't bear any resemblance - in either system or setting - to their flagship product, "Traveller".

Now, Mongoose is going to release a setting called "2300AD", named for the re-release of what was originally published as "Traveller: 2300"... under the "Traveller" rules...

DAMMIT, THIS ONE SHOULD BE CALLED "TRAVELLER: 2300"!!!eleventy1one!

some hints ?
2300AD like the game started (cheering)
2320 update (hmmm can we edit out the Kafer war solution ?)
or 2300 with the Kafer war (well I might still buy it)

It is 2300AD, set in 2300AD, only a few short years after a mysterious alien race attacked the distant colony world of Aurore. Was it all a misunderstanding, or are they a race of genocidal monsters bent on blowing up cities and eating babies? Time will tell.

There will be influences from 2320AD, but most of those will not be felt until later products. There will likely be greater scope for DNA modifications, augmentations, and I'm looking at doing some interesting things for character background. It's not Transhuman Space:2300, though.

We're likely going to update the star map with more current data, too.

It should be a great deal of fun, both to play and the write. I'm looking forward to actually holding a real book in my hands at the end of the day.

It is 2300AD, set in 2300AD.....There will be influences from 2320AD, but most of those will not be felt until later products.....

Exactly what I had hoped. The standard setting would be best for new players or those wishing to relive it. Starting with 2320 AD could confuse some new players or make them feel like they missed out on the Kafer War. This way it sounds like we get both. I'm hoping a 2320 AD supplement down the road to advance the timeline, add new equipment, etc.

There will likely be greater scope for DNA modifications, augmentations, and I'm looking at doing some interesting things for character background. It's not Transhuman Space:2300, though.

Again perfect in my opinion. 2300 AD updated with what we now know, but not going so far to make it a different setting such as Transhuman Space.

We're likely going to update the star map with more current data, too.

And again a big thumbs up.

I hope the core book goes over well, because this is my personal wish list, in tentative order: :D

2300 AD Core: Default setting, careers, equipment, star map, starship creation for 2300 AD.
World Guide: Details on each of the Arms plus Earth.
Vehicles & Equipment: Combine the two old ones. Traveller's vehicle creation system modified for 2300 AD.
Starships: Of all Arms, not just the French one.
Kafer War Campaign Setting: Think Invasion plus adventures. Original Invasion described the war, but it would be nice to have things the players could actually do without making the adventures up yourself.
2320 AD Campaign Setting: After the Kafer War campaign. Changes that came to the worlds, new equipment, Kafer Space, etc.

....and I'm looking at doing some interesting things for character background.

Almost missed this. Timeline affecting character background perhaps? Then the options could be expanded when advancing the timeline for players created 5 terms later during the 2320 AD setting? Nationality affecting CGoptions might be nice also.

Last edited:
Kafer War Campaign Setting: Think Invasion plus adventures. Original Invasion described the war, but it would be nice to have things the players could actually do without making the adventures up yourself.

What Kafer War?

I'll be honest. One of the biggest problems I ever had with 2300AD as a setting was the big, bad, Kafer War. With the inclusion of the Kafer War, all the other rich campaign types possible suddenly become obviated. Who's going to be exploring ancient ruins on Daikoku while a genocidal alien fleet bears down on Earth and the Core? Figuring out what TransOcean Environments is doing with their new mini sub on Avalon is a moot point when millions are dying on the French Arm.

The Indiana Jones movies had the right approach. The era before, and the era after, major wars are ripe with adventuring possibilities (even if done badly). The era of a war, though, is largely about fighting. Sometimes that can be fun, but extended campaigns of nothing but shooting get old, real quick.

That's not to say that military campaigns won't play a part. The universe of 2300AD is full of opportunities for organized violence, from the aliens at the edge of civilization to skirmishes over oil fields on Heidelsheimat. However, the universe of 2300AD offers so much more than that. Exploration, corporate intrigue, and colonization all have their place, and their campaigns, in 2300AD.

Now, a colony at the edge of space was attacked. A nearby research station was lost just prior to the attack. Aliens have infested the surface of the colony world. Something is about to happen. That is all that is really known. The news gets little play in the Core, where the price of Ta-180 and the latest fashions out of Senegal are more important.

Over on the Chinese Arm, they are more concerned with the increase in demon attacks on Cold Mountain, and the effort to tame the pan-Thalassic world of Haifeng, than in what has happened to a French colony on tha other side of space.

Out on the American Arm, the last of the available frontier worlds is being explored, and America is staring across the gulf at the rich, dense cluster of Aquilan stars.

Even on the French Arm, it is worrying, but doesn't really affect the price of fish on Beowulf. Only the German colonies of Hochbaden and Dunkelheim have started to bolster their defenses. Meanwhile, French teams are starting to explore the Wolf Cluster, and dark rumours are starting to surface in the region around the Pentapod enclave on Beta Canum...

Last edited:
So far it sounds like my dream update of 2300 !

Hope you/mongoose are going to ask for contributions from the community.

I know how hard it would be to integrate dozens of peoples input to the core of the game but there is a lot of stuff that we could all help out with .... newly discovered star info, hard info on specific tech items so there is more variety in ship designing etc

Mongoose just made the announcement today that a Traveller-powered version of 2300AD would be produced and released by Mongoose in 2011.

Written by me.
That's awesome news! Congrats! I haven't bought any MGT stuff lately (I have issues with their quality control), but I will certainly be buying this!!! Can't wait!

What Kafer War?
That's great news too! The only game of MGT I have run was my own conversion of Mission Arcturus from 2300, so while I do like a nice shoot 'em up adventure now and then, my primary group of players, my wife included, are much more into the discovering unknowns and solving mysteries type of game. So I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do!

Glad to hear that Exploration is coming back front & centre to 2300AD. I briefly played the game in the early 1990s as a precursor to First Contact with the Vilani. It allowed me to explore some of the ideas that I had of shifting Traveller toward the Hard SF that I felt were at the root of Traveller. I really welcome this version of MgT because I think - it will do the same.

Back