• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: 2nd Generation Type-S

Yep, LBB-2 allows up to 5K tons, although it only specifies engineering requirements for up to 1K tons.

As pointed out, this is for Standard Hulls, and it is a tradeoff for reduced cost and build time. Custom Hulls are not affected by that table of engineering room space.

I suspect you are mis-interpreting the meaning of the "Standard Hull" with its fixed Engineering space.

Well I have the '77 edition and the "Custom Hulls" description is rather vague. I would interpret that to mean a custom 100-1K ton hull can have altered engineering requirements and post-1K ton hulls are custom no matter how you slice it.

I have no idea what later editions say on the matter.

I believe it was Trillion Credit Squadron that emphasized you can't increase the size of certain ship components, though downsizing was always an option.

Outside of jump and manoeuvre drives, where I suspect it becomes a matter of gravity centering, this might not apply to power plants, at least in the MongoVerse.

Why speculate? :confused:
MgT1 TCS said:
Refitting Ships
Older ships with less advanced technology are often improved and brought in line with newer vessels by refitting them; ...

There are two different types of refit that can be used. Major refits cover changes in power plant, manoeuvre or jump drive, as well as changes to spinal mounts or launch facilities (such as launch tubes). ...

Armour and other parts of the ship integral to the hull (such as configuration or reinforced structure) cannot be changed under any refit. Those items covered under a major refit cannot be increased in size though they may be reduced. Other components may be increased in size if there is tonnage available. ...

Well I have the '77 edition and the "Custom Hulls" description is rather vague. I would interpret that to mean a custom 100-1K ton hull can have altered engineering requirements and post-1K ton hulls are custom no matter how you slice it.

That is what it says, but you also said:

although it only specifies engineering requirements for up to 1K tons.

Which sure looks like a misinterpretation of the Standard Hulls.

Admittedly, the Hull section of the CT77 text is a bit backwards once you know shipbuilding. The text does clearly explain the table (in the paragraph that starts just below the table), but the table is not as well labeled as it could be.

Look at it this way: you can build any size and drive capable combination the other tables allow in 36 months, OR we can start you off with one of these six (and there are only six) Standard Hulls; bulkheads and conduit runs already in place. You fill out the spaces to your spec as long as only drives and all the drives go in the fixed (because it's Standardized) engineering space. That way you get your ship faster, but with maybe some wasted space and not the hotrod your pilot wants.

Last edited:
Back