• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Day in the Life of a Traveller Gamestory

Commentary:
"Please, please, gentlemen, have a seat -- I'd like to hear your experiences from earlier today. Let's start with you, Scout Smithe. You were in the grav taxi that was shot down?" She turns to the chauffeur, "James, would you see if these fellows would like a drink?"
@Spinward Scout
I realize that this is a potentially overwhelming writing task. It covers about 5 hours of narrative, a taxi crash, fleeing through angry crowds, a gunfight, and a car chase.

There's no need to give a blow-by-blow account! (Besides, the storytelling will take about 20 minutes of in-game time at most.) Hit the high points, or just the beginning and/or end. Or just skip over the whole thing if you don't want to go there, and jump straight to the small talk afterwards, as I'd planned to do for my character. . .

Last edited:
_____

Story
_____

A Day in the Life of some Travellers

Hour 12

090-1106 Imperial
1815 Shipboard time
Feri/Regina
Windsor Downport
Berth 17 South

"Do you think she believed that it was the Crash Avoidance Thrusters? I guess we'll find out," Smithe said.

As he put his Comm in his pocket, he said "I'm glad we got the Provisions stowed before she showed up. Buddy sent me a message: They forgot the Trake Jelly. Well, it's bad luck if nothing is missing. Maybe we'll get some more on Roup."

His Comm chirped with another call. He opened his Comm, "This is Scout Security Officer Denius. We are ready to board."

"Ok, come up the the cockpit. We'll need to discuss where she'll go."

"There's been a change of plans," Denius said. "We no longer need her cell. She'll be strapped in like a passenger."

"What the hell?" Smithe whispered after he closed the line.

_____

Commentary
_____

The air/raft we almost got killed in was an air taxi. Unless I'm forgetting something.

Beyond that, looks like you were pretty thorough. Excellent story. Writing ahead is ok as long as you don't get so far ahead that other people playing get lost.

We know what happens here with the Medical Fast Drug and such. So we can skip any explanation.

12 hours until Jump.

And counting.

Maybe there is something wrong with hour counting. We should be on hour 13 if there's less than 12 hours lefy.

The air/raft we almost got killed in was an air taxi. Unless I'm forgetting something.
Commentary:
There were two separate incidents where our crewmen almost got killed:
The first was the shootdown of the taxi.
The second was the retrieval mission (Puch and Thompson, picking up Smthe and Jones from where they were hiding) in the borrowed air/raft from Smithe's (former) Type S. During the chase to the starport from the safe-house, the surviving hostiles nearly took it down with small-arms fire from their air/raft (which subsequently crashed into a building), and it just barely made it across the extrality line. I'm visualizing a desperate struggle to keep it stable and airborne for the last half-minute or so, ending in a roll to the side with the braking thrusters kicking in a couple of seconds before impact, then a 50m slide down a street. Fruit cart demolition (TVTropes) optional.

The gunfire damage to one of the grav modules plus the impact/slide damage came to about Cr30,000.

Last edited:
Commentary:
We may have an off-by-one error.
What point in time are you considering as Hour 24?
if 0600-0700 was Hour 1, Hour 24 starts at 0600 the next day and ends at 0700.

Commentary:
There were two separate incidents where our crewmen almost got killed:
_____

Commentary
_____

Right. The second was when we jumped over to the new CotI website and I didn't realize I could login and missed several days of posting. My fault. I didn't read that well enough. Or your posts, I guess.

I was setting the scenario up from 6am on 090-1106 to Jumping at 6am on 091-1106.

We can skip that 'Hour" whichever from here on out as long as we know the time.

_____

Commentary
_____

Right. The second was when we jumped over to the new CotI website and I didn't realize I could login and missed several days of posting. My fault. I didn't read that well enough. Or your posts, I guess.

I was setting the scenario up from 6am on 090-1106 to Jumping at 6am on 091-1106.

We can skip that 'Hour" whichever from here on out as long as we know the time.
Fair enough! That's the plan, anyhow!

Commentary:
So we've moved past the interview and are back at the cargo pinnace -- that works.

Story:
Hour 12

090-1106 Imperial
1820 Sidereal Time
Feri/Regina
Windsor Downport
Berth 17 South
Aboard NOVA I

"It's ok," I tell Jon, "she won't be going anywhere -- they doped her up with Medical Fast Drug. At least they better have..."
Jon opens the port-side cargo door for the security officer and the patient. A grav ambulance hovers outside; its rear doors open and it backs up to the open hatch. A man in Scout khaki with the red Imperial sunburst over his name patch stands next to a covered gurney. Behind him is a solidly-built fellow in hospital scrubs.
"Scout Nigel Denius? From the debrief this afternoon?" I ask. "I'm Captain Puch, and this is Scout Smithe, and the droid is Buddy. I'm assuming it's just you and the patient on this run?"

"That's me. Keith says to say hello. And yes, Kaplan here is an orderly from the Base Hospital, here to help with loading the prisoner. Where do you want the gurney?"

I point. "Aft bulkhead, transverse. We'll do the tiedown. Mind the groceries. You've got luggage?"

"Four cases, over there in the back," he gestures toward the ambulance. "Mobility bag, personal bag, medical bag -- your ship's medic gets that one -- and the prisoner's personal effects."

"Weapons?" I ask.

He pats a baton slung from the left side of his belt. "Stunstick," he states, then taps his right-side holster. "Snub pistol, mixed load tranq and ball. I've got H.E. in my personal bag."

"Cool," I reply. "The H.E. rounds will need to go in our locker for the duration, of course."

"No problem, I'll break them out when we reach your ship."

"While I'm asking, how much force are we authorized to use to subdue Sleeping Beauty over there? Not that we'll need to, just want the rules of engagement if things go sideways."

"Nonlethal if at all possible, lethal only for self defense."

"Figures," I reply. "What's she in for? I'd kind of like to know what chances she might take if she wakes up."

"I'm not authorized to reveal that. I can say she is forbidden from returning to Feri, and further note that you are to disregard anything she may say -- I mean, she's not going to, but still."

Oh Hellworld. We're officially liars and probably forbidden from returning to Feri too at this point, I think, but say nothing. "Guess that'll have to do."

Jon, Buddy and the orderly take the gurney to aft end of the cargo bay and busy themselves with bracing struts and tiedown straps, while Nigel helps me lash down the luggage. "So, what did you guys do?" he asks while cranking down a strap ratchet, "The locals' Internal Security doesn't bother with small stuff."

"You heard the man. Officially, we didn't do anything." By now, they'll have figured out we told Dame Irshinri everything -- what's one more? "Unofficially...." I gesture toward the orderly, "I can't talk about it right now. Maybe later."

Commentary:
Might move up the Dame's meeting with the Feri nobility by a few minutes so she can (i.e. she will know she needs to) call for a lift sooner than I'd laid out above. I figure we're taking off in Nova I shortly, but it won't matter for bringing her along since she's got her own ride to the ship.

Last edited:
_____

Story
_____

Hour 12

090-1106 Imperial
1830 Shipboard time
Feri/Regina
Windsor Downport
Berth 17 South

"So, it looks like we aren't getting any more Passengers and we have our only Cargo. Unless someone knows anything else we need, I'm going to start the countdown."

Smithe opened the Shipwide Intercom: "Attention all Crew and Passengers. We have just about finished our time here on Feri. We are setting the time for departure at 1930 Shipboard time. After Liftoff, it will take about 2 hours to reach the ANNIC NOVA, at about 2130. All hands, prepare for Liftoff." and he clicked off the Intercom.

He opened up the Ship's Log and recorded the estimated times.

He opened a Channel. "Feri Downport. This is NOVA 1 at Berth 17 South. We are preparing for Liftoff at 1930 hours, our Shipboard Time. About one hour from now. Requesting Clearance for Liftoff to Orbit at that time."

Some static and a bit of a whistle and, :NOVA 1, we show 1930 is open for your Liftoff. Please submit your Flightplan before we can approve you."

"Roger Starport Tower. Transmitting our Flightplan now," and he pressed several buttons showing their planned flight to Orbit, then meeting ANNIC NOVA at the Jump Point.

The speaker crackled and whistled again. "Transmission Received NOVA 1. Give us a few minutes to clear it with COAAC Airspace Control."

"Roger Tower."

Smithe added to the Ship's Log the call for Clearance, fiddled with a few flight controls, ran system crosschecks, and brought Power up to Full while waiting for the call.

_____

Game Mechanics
_____

I don't have a character sheet, but being a Detached Scout who had his own Scout/Courir, I'm assuming he's got Engineer 0, and EDU of at least 7.
So no plus and no minus.
Stealing the Task from MegaTraveller (there's not a Power Task in MgT2 from what I see), the Difficulty is Routine - so 6+.
And I roll an 8.

I'm going to set my Pilot skill at 1 - and Astrogate at 2. Which is why he gets Jump Tapes.

_____

Commentary
_____

PREPARE FOR LIFTOFF
1.) Clearance from Feri Starport and Airspace Control (COAAC?)
2.) Pre-flight checklist
3.) Secure the ship - close and check all hatches
4.) Starport Robots Clear Moorings

I used to have a checklist somewhere. I probably still do in a dark part of my hard drive.

Anything you want to do?
I figure that waiting for clearance is a good time for something to show up if we want to.
Or we can just move to the next part. Or the Dame can signal us.

Last edited:
Game Mechanics
_____

I don't have a character sheet, but being a Detached Scout who had his own Scout/Courir, I'm assuming he's got Engineer 0, and EDU of at least 7.
So no plus and no minus.
Stealing the Task from MegaTraveller (there's not a Power Task in MgT2 from what I see), the Difficulty is Routine - so 6+.
And I roll an 8.

I'm going to set my Pilot skill at 1 - and Astrogate at 2. Which is why he gets Jump Tapes.

_____

Commentary
_____

PREPARE FOR LIFTOFF
1.) Clearance from Feri Starport and Airspace Control (COAAC?)
2.) Pre-flight checklist
3.) Secure the ship - close and check all hatches
4.) Starport Robots Clear Moorings

I used to have a checklist somewhere. I probably still do in a dark part of my hard drive.

Anything you want to do?
I figure that waiting for clearance is a good time for something to show up if we want to.
Or we can just move to the next part. Or the Dame can signal us.
Game Mechanics:
You could have dropped the difficulty a step by extending the time interval, but it wasn't necessary.
I'm working with CT skill levels so that's Pilot-2 (=small craft-1 if you don't have small craft), it pretty much works out the same.

Commentary:
Not sure it'll take an hour to prep for liftoff.
Looks like we're done dirtside as far as we know.
(We'll get the call after we lift. It's going to get interesting after that...)

Reference:
Preflight checklist:

Walkaround:
- Ensure all mobile Aerospace Ground Equipment has been removed from launch pad area
- Verify all umbilicals disconnected
- Verify all external hatches and access panels closed and latched
- Check all marker and external illumination lighting (i.e. spotlights and floodlights) are functional
- Visual inspection of hull
- Visual inspection of landing gear for damage or FOD
- Airlock(s) for external control operation (does the keypad open it?)
- Airlock(s) for overpressure/underpressure (partial pressure cycling of airlock)

Internal:
- Avionics self-test
- Fire control self-test
- Weapons self-test (pinnace mounts a single beam laser)
(Radar/sensors function test would require coordination with the starport; I'm assuming we've already done that)
- Doors/hatches for security (status lights, physical inspection)
- Cargo secured
- Passengers secured
- Inspect all interior space for loose objects
- Cabin pressurization test (overpressure)
- Reactor initiation (if not already at idle)
- Reactor for nominal operation (low idle, high idle)
(If this were a starship, jump drive self test would go here)
- Maneuver drive self-test
- Grav lifters self-test
- Grav lifters functional test (brief hover)
- Request launch clearance

After launch clearance:
- Announce takeoff
- Maneuver drive functional test (hover on lifters, then pitch up and transition to maneuver drive for lift, and hover briefly)
- Go (full acceleration, then reduce to remain subsonic in atmosphere).
- Call tower to announce you've cleared the pad.

Story:
Hour 12

090-1106 Imperial
1835 Sidereal Time
Feri/Regina
Windsor Downport
Berth 17 South
Aboard NOVA I

"Yep, Tome, the data files came through ok."

"Thanks, Doc. When Zaz and Tenya wake up, have them and Roland add them to what we already have. Compile three versions: one as straight documentary, one highlighting that the local government turned it into propaganda, and one playing up that the Imperial Authorities believed the propaganda rather than consulting the Scouts. We can clean it all up later."

"Got it. Anything else?"

"Not at the moment. We're scheduled to lift in about an hour, but might be able to move it up a bit. I'll keep you posted."

"Thanks. Nova out."

"Nova I out."

_____

Story
_____

Hour 12

090-1106 Imperial
1845 Shipboard time
Feri/Regina
Windsor Downport
Berth 17 South

As the Starport Robots removed the moorings, ground equipment, and umbilicals, Smithe said to Buddy outside, "Ok, let's check our marker lights." The lights blinked and Buddy gave a 'thumbs up' towards the cockpit. Smithe flipped a couple of switches. Some lights went out and others came on. "How about the Spotlights and Floodlights, Buddy?"

Again, Buddy gave the 'thumbs up'.

This went back and forth for a while. Hatches and access panels, closed and latched. No damage to hull or landing gear. Foreign Object/Debris scanned for. Minor particulates, garbage, and broken equipment or gear removed from intake vent area.

"Alright Buddy, come back in and check and secure the Airlock."

He clicked back on the Intercom. "All hands. We will be Pressurizing momentarily. Please report any Mishaps."

The light came on that the Airlock was sealed. He flipped another switch and cabin pressure began to build. He could tell because his ears plugged up a bit.

_____

Commentary
_____

An hour for Clearance is leeway for the Starport and COAAC to make sure it's clear. There's no runway, so no taxiing to the runway. The extra time is a courtesy for the Starport to "line us up" with anyone else lifting off.

i.e. It's not a hasty takeoff.

Checklist is sweet! Thanks!

Commentary:
Thanks! And your timing sets this up nicely.

Story:
Hour 12

090-1106 Imperial
1850 Sidereal Time
Feri/Regina
Windsor Downport
Berth 17 South
Aboard NOVA I

"Welcome back. Any issues out there?"

"Had to kick the boarding ladder to get it to lock into place, but that's about it," Jon replies.

"Yeah, it does that. Need to get Engineering to take a look at it when we've got time." I make a note in the log. "I'm about done with the pre-checks. Any reason not to ask for an early departure?"

"Don't think so." Jon opens the flight deck door and calls back into the cargo bay. "Hey, Nigel! You waiting on anything, or can we lift now?"

"Nope. Ready as I'm going to be," replies the guard. His prisoner, unsurprisingly, doesn't say anything. (Suspended animation tends to cut down on the propensity for idle chatter.)

I key the radio. "Feri Downport. This is NOVA I at Berth 17 South."

"Nova One, Tower, go ahead."

"Tower, Nova One. Requesting early departure, as soon as possible."

"Nova One, Tower. Copy. Stand by." Moments pass. "Nova One, Tower. There's a comsat overhead, but it'll be out of the way shortly. You have a window from 1855-1915 Sidereal."

"Tower, Nova One. I copy launch window 1855-1915 Sidereal." That was sooner than I expected! I turn to Jon. "How quick can you give me an adjusted course plot?"

He whips out a tablet comp. "Whole course? Four minutes, if that. If you can't wait, just aim seven and a half degrees west of the original course and hold -- that's close enough for now."
-------
Game Mechanics:
Uses the reverse of "Landing" in MgT2 Core (p. 143). Duration roll: [4] 4 seconds for the snap result ("7.5 degrees west"*) 4 minutes for the precise result (and a +2 DM).

------
Story:
I check my watch: five minutes to the window. "Do it right, no rush. We've got the time."
-------
Game Mechanics:
Target is 6+, DM +2 for taking longer, DM +2 for Astrogation skill level, DM+1 (I'm guessing) for INT or EDU 9-11. Adjusted target is 1+. Roll [2,4]=6. Succeeds by 5 points (top end of normal success). This adds DM +1 to the Pilot roll for the outbound flight.
-------
Story:
"There you go," Jon announces.
"Looks good. Let's get out of here." I key the radio again. "Tower, Nova One. Ready for liftoff."

"Nova One, Tower. You are clear for liftoff."

"Tower, Nova One. Copy." The lifters power up, we float into the air -- 1, 5, 10, 20 meters -- and move forward as we transition from the antigrav to the main drives. In moments, the horizon drops away and we're pointing skyward. The landing gear retracts with a thump and a cheerful green light on the panel. We're hovering on the main drives, now. Maneuver drive function check complete.

"Tower, Nova One, Pad 17 South open."

"Nova One, Tower. Copy. Safe travels!"

"Tower, Nova One. Thank you. Nova one out." I turn to Jon again. "Let's go," he says. I push the throttle forward.

Feri promptly falls away behind us.
---------------
Commentary:
Begin Hour 13; it's 1902 Sidereal Time.

Dame Irshinri is just about to call.

We'll get a surprise bogey in about 15 minutes (they were waiting for us to take off, but didn't expect we'd jump the gun).
This is the part where it gets "interesting..."

I'd have written both of these into this post but the coffee is wearing off... will pick it up in the morning.

-------
Reference (footnote)
* The original course plot assumed takeoff 30 minutes later. The planet will rotate -- or rather, will have not rotated -- 7.5 degrees in those 30 minutes (assuming a 24 hour day). Inclining the original course by 7.5 degrees to the west will mostly correct for that, and the course can be refined while in flight as well.

To be really picky, Jon would have described it relative to the galactic reference frame (coreward/rimward or spinward/trailing) but I'm glossing over that.

Last edited by a moderator:
_____

Story
_____

Hour 13

090-1106 Imperial
1905 Shipboard time
Feri/Regina
Approaching Orbit

Smithe adjusted the Navigation (Normal Space) plot to bring the ship 7.5 degrees Rimward/Spinward to account for the early Liftoff. "The new plot is on the board. It'll bring us to the ANNIC NOVA in less than 2 hours. Less than an hour to turn and burn." Smithe said.

A Dragon class System Defense Boat showed up on the Passive EMS. Pulling away from the ship at high speed. "And they didn't even say hi," Smithe said when he saw it. Passive Scan identified it as the Wyvern.

A 1,000 Freighter showed inbound at far orbit on the Passive Scan. Smithe didn't wait for it to be identified.

_____

Commentary
_____

No apology necessary. There's no hurry here.

And I liked it!

I'm looking through Starship Operator's Manual, MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia and Referee's Companion for ideas, but I'm going to leave the calculations alone. I suck at Math.

What exactly is Sidereal Time?

Also:
Why do you have to wait so long on Runways?

Last edited:
What exactly is Sidereal Time?
A side effect of having a point of view on a rotating sphere that is also orbiting through space.
The easiest way to explain this is with a picture.
Solar-and-sidereal-day.png

A sidereal day lasts as long as a complete rotation relative to an extremely distant object, so a body such as a planet is pointing in the same direction relative to distant stars. For all intents and purposes this is a 360º rotation of the planet.

A solar day lasts as long as a complete rotation relative to the local star, which due to orbital motion means that a planet needs to rotate more than 360º in order for the local star to be viewed at the same location in the sky.

The differences between a sidereal day and a solar day are important concepts for timekeeping, astronomy and orbital navigation as well as interstellar astrogation (in the Traveller context).

A side effect of having a point of view on a rotating sphere that is also orbiting through space.
Reference:
Pretty much that. I've been using it as a placeholder for "Imperial Standard Time", or as a more official designation for "Ship's Time".

I think I've seen references in canon to ships adjusting their clocks over the course of the week in Jump to match those of the destination world (maybe it was just internal gravity though). If so, I'm pretty sure this would only extend as far as tweaking the "day/night" illumination cycle and perhaps displayed clocks in the passenger areas.

The ship itself would remain on Imperial Standard Time for operational purposes.

Last edited:
Story:
Hour 13

090-1106 Imperial
1910 Sidereal Time
10 minutes out from Feri/Regina
Aboard NOVA I

"Skipping Stone calling ANNIC NOVA I," says the radio.
"Skipping Stone, Nova One. Go," I reply.

"Dame Irshmiri would like to speak with Captain Puch. Is he available?" It's her driver -- James, I think it was.
"That's me. How can I be of service?"
"We'd like to contract for a cargo shipment and passenger accommodations to Roup. I'll put her on."

"Dame Irshmiri, it's a pleasure to hear you again. Your timing is a little off, though -- we've already lifted."
"This will not be a problem, Captain. What I want shipped is my small craft. It can be at your ship by the time you get there in yours. You mentioned that you have an unused small craft bay, is this correct?"
"We do. It may not fit exactly, but we'll make it work. Worst case, we can lash it to the hull. How many passengers?"
"Four, including myself. I assume you have room for us?"
Nigel and Sleeping Beauty back there go in the spare stateroom, the passenger shuttle has four slots... "We do. It'll be slightly awkward since the rooms are in our passenger shuttle -- don't worry, they're full-sized -- but you'll have the run of our lounge and we have a first-rate concierge bot."
"That will more than suffice. James will contact your ship shortly to work out the details."
"Thank you, ma'am. On behalf of my crew, let me welcome you in advance to the Annic Nova. We hope you enjoy your trip."
"Tomos -- may I call you Tomos? After dealing with the Viscount here, the barest minimum of competence will be a pleasant change of pace."

Story:
Hour 13

090-1106 Imperial
1950 Sidereal Time
30 minutes out from Feri/Regina
Aboard Ship's Boat Skipping Stone

Spoilered so these posts get read in sequence. Start with
090-1106 Imperial
1910 Sidereal Time
"Lishbii, I've got Sir Gaaradelii on the line; Captain Puch is on the other line, muted," James announced.
"Thank you," acknowledged the Dame. "Put him through."

"Sir Gaaradelii, your local government has somewhat complicated my travel plans with their System Defense Boat."
"Dame Irshimri, you should have expected that when you booked passage with known criminals."
"With all due respect, I did not know they were 'known criminals' until about ten minutes ago. Neither did they. And I'm pretty sure you didn't either."
"I'm just the Starport Administrator. This is a local matter, and I don't have jurisdiction outside the starport. I'd advise you to direct all four of them to surrender as well as to turn over the individual they have in custody, and then you can be on your way."
"I have Captain Puch on the line here -- perhaps you can ask him yourself." She gestured to James, who touched his comms display.

"Oh. Very well then. Captain Puch, you and Scout Smithe must surrender to the SDB, remand your prisoner to their custody, and have your ship stand by to turn over individuals Jones and Thompson. This will minimize any possible adverse impacts."
"Sir, with all due respect, I'd prefer not to. And I have been directed by the Scout Base to not allow our prisoner to fall into Windsorian custody under any circumstances. It's apparently quite important to them. Maybe they'll tell you why, since they won't tell me. Unless you can force the SDB to land at the downport -- and it doesn't look like could if you wanted to -- surrender is not acceptable."
"Captain Puch," the starport adminstrator replied angrily, "you're outgunned. It doesn't appear you have much choice in this matter."

"This is true. But you do. Or at least the Viscount does." He's going there? Lishbii thought. Well, I guess he has to, doesn't he? I hope he can pull it off.
Gaaradelii sounds like he's taken aback. "Excuse me?"

"The Annic Nova is leaving this system in a few hours, with or without me. I'm just a starship captain, not an Imperial noble. How you manage Feri for the Imperium wouldn't normally concern me. Unfortunately, it's personal now."

"Oh, really?" Condescension dripped from his voice.

"Really. Dame Irshmiri back there is too dignified to bring this up, but I'm not -- especially when the liberty and lives of my crew are on the line. I have complete documentation of everything, from the Princess P to our trip outside the perimeter -- including the logs from the air/raft -- to what you told Dame Irshimiri on her way here. And frankly, it looks to me like you got rolled by the Windsor security forces. I'll bet you didn't even know the terrorists were Windsor natives until she told you." He didn't, she thought. Good guess.

"That's not important." He paused. "Dame Irshimiri, you gave them that data?"

"Of course," she replied. "They're the only ones who've been both forthcoming and honest with me since I arrived." Would have been nice if you'd been, too, she declined to add.

"Still, Captain Puch, what's important is that you surrender immediately," the starport administrator insisted.

"No sir, what's important is that you're dangerously out of touch with what's happening on your own world. And Duke Norris on Regina might be very interested in knowing that. And we're in a position to let him know." Yep, he went there.

"That sounds like blackmail."

"I suppose you could say that. Me? I'd say that my usual discretion is being... tested. Sorely tested. Though for the record, we haven't told anyone that didn't have a need to know. I just assumed Dame Irshimiri would have been included." I assumed that too, thought Lisbii, but we were both mistaken, weren't we?

"Hmmn. That isn't a particularly wise course of action. It's a long way to Regina, and this part of space is dangerous. Pirates. Vargr raiders. Zhodani infiltrators. Anything could happen. And your ship has some unique vulnerabilities."

"That sounds like a threat."

"Not at all. Just pointing out some facts."

"Very well then," replied the captain. "If you know it's uniquely vulnerable, you should also know its unique capabilities too, right? Old Annie can be pretty elusive when she wants to be -- doesn't have to call on a starport or skim a gas giant to refuel. She can be anywhere. I like her chances." So do I, thought the Dame. In fact, I was counting on it myself.

There is another pause, much longer than lightspeed lag could excuse.

"I'll see what I can do."

"That's all we ask. Get them to leave us alone and it stops here."

Commentary:
It's 30 minutes out of Feri for the Skipping Stone, but 50 minutes for Nova One at this point.
(This is a proxy for distance.)

Last edited:
Back