• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Day in the Life of a Traveller Gamestory

_____

Story
_____

A Day in the Life of some Travellers

Hour 15

090-1106 Imperial
2126 Sidereal Time
Jump Limit Distance from Feri/Regina
Aboard Annic Nova

The long way up to Hydroponics went faster than he thought it would. "She couldn't have gotten the virus that fast, Cap'n. Could she?" Smithe looked around Hydroponics.

"Shouldn't she be in sickbay? Why did we bring her to Hydroponics?

_____

Commentary
_____

That was very cool! And Happy Hallowe'en as well. A little late.

Wow, every turn is exciting in some way. I never expected this to go as far as we have.

It's alright, we don't need to go back. Once we get done with this scene, I want to work towards the ending. If we can.

_____

Story
_____

Hour 15

090-1106 Imperial
2126 Sidereal Time
Aboard Annic Nova

The long way up to Hydroponics went faster than he thought it would. "She couldn't have gotten the virus that fast, Cap'n. Could she?" Smithe looked around Hydroponics.

"Shouldn't she be in sickbay? Why did we bring her to Hydroponics?

_____

Commentary
_____

That was very cool! And Happy Hallowe'en as well. A little late.

Wow, every turn is exciting in some way. I never expected this to go as far as we have.

It's alright, we don't need to go back. Once we get done with this scene, I want to work towards the ending. If we can.
Commentary:
I was writing up the second round of negotiations with the Starport Administrator (Hour 14, 2035 ship time), but I like this and I'll roll with it before rewinding to kick that out. :)

Story:

Hour 15

090-1106 Imperial
2127 Sidereal Time
Aboard Annic Nova

I ask Jon, "Did you say anything to her about the Death Room?"
"Of course not, why would I have?"
"Neither did I."
Nigel interrupts with suspicion, "What do you mean, 'Death Room'?"
I snap, "Dead bodies. I'll explain later -- start CPR!" I then yell toward the drive bays, "Zaz! Turn the gravity back up!" Chest compressions aren't going to work in half-gravity, I think.

We regain our normal weight, Nigel sets to work on Melissa, and there's a thud and cursing back down the gangway. Doc must have misstepped when the gravity changed... "Kurt! Get back there and help Doc with his gear!" I order; he takes off at a dead run through the shrubbery towards the ramp.

Nigel suddenly realizes what Doc's involvement will mean, and glares up at Jon and I, not missing a beat with the chest compressions.

"Jon, I told her about the Death Room, didn't I." I wasn't asking a question. I continue firmly, "It was a panic attack, and she's still rattled from the missile hit." Jon nods in agreement, but I'm not sure he's figured it all out yet.

I turn to Tenya. "Please don't ask, and don't say anything. It's important."

Doc and Kurt rush through the hydroponics bay to where we are. "Wasn't she supposed to be in a coma?" Doc demands, breaking open his medkit.

Reference:
This Post. First spoiler hides the deck plans, under that one there are two others. The second one of those two explains most of this.

Commentary:
Whether it had been a panic attack (the cover story) or some kind of psionic remnant effect (which it was), in either case the best move would be to get the victim as far away from the triggering location as possible. If Annic Nova had a medical bay, it would probably have been in that particular room anyhow because the crew avoids it otherwise (see reference note, above).

If Miss Ketonic had even one PSI point left when she entered the room, her natural psionic shield would have blocked the psychic echoes of that poor little girl's terrified last moments. Unfortunately, she'd used everything she had (and everything granted by the Psi drug) to wreck what turned out to have been the missile's detonator circuitry, and was defenseless.

This raises the question of how one can effect an exorcism using Traveller game mechanics and canon technological items. . . It probably involves a modified psionic shield helmet and some insane amount of energy, used like a degausser.

Last edited:
I was wondering why she didn't try to turn the missiles against each other. Two birds with one stone type of thing.

I've been using Mongoose v. 2 the whole time. I guess we're winging it, but not much longer. Sorry that was hard for you. Thank you.
Commentary:

1. Missiles were outside of Telekinesis range until well into the terminal attack run. Melissa's Clairvoyance allowed her to track her missile inbound so she could employ Telekinesis during the last few seconds before impact, in the form of brute-force ripping at the missile's circuit boards (the "claws" attack). She doesn't have machine empathy (it's not in LBB3).

2. I'm doing space combat using LBB2 for the turn sequence, to-hit values, and general positioning/vectors, but somewhat handwaving the ranges by using the principle of LBB5 range bands rather than getting out butcher paper and a tape measure.

Basically, it went like this:
With respect to Wyvren:
Turn 1 (approaching): Boats at Close range, AN (Decoy) beyond Reserve range. Launch 4 missiles, have them delay terminal attack.
Turn 2 (passing): Boats at Long range (and moving away), AN (decoy) at Reserve range. Launch six missiles in a lateral spread.
Turn 3: (approaching decoy): Boats at Reserve range, AN (decoy) at Long range, launch six missiles straight ahead, missiles from turn 1 finally engage boats after antimissile fire takes two of them out. One targets the decoy Skipping Stone and destroys it. One targets Nova 1 and is disabled with telekinesis, but is stuck through the craft's hull.
Turn 4: (at decoy): AN (decoy) at Short range, boats beyond Reserve range, Annic Nova (actual) at Reserve range, undetected. Missiles from second salvo contact decoy, lasers fired at decoy. Reloading missile turrets.
Turn 5: (passing decoy debris): Annic Nova beyond Reserve range. The six missiles from the first salvo are spread out in a wide circle centered on Wyvren's course. Two of them are in position to engage Annic Nova (actual position) and are destroyed. The delay into this turn is because they were accelerating laterally, instead of parallel to Wyvren's vector.
Turns 6-7: Wyvren decelerates

Turn 8: You Are Here (or at least the narrative is here, at about 2130 sidereal time).

Turns 9-12: Wyvern finally comes to a stop at about 200D distance from Feri.
Turns 13-14: Wyvren accelerates toward Annic Nova (actual) -- IF it chooses to attempt a second attack. Otherwise, it's just accelerating towards Feri and will flip to decelerate at the 100D distance.
Turn 15: Wyvren could be at Long range of Annic Nova again, about two hours (at about 2220 sidereal time) after blowing past it the first time.

Last edited:
Doc and Kurt rush through the hydroponics bay to where we are. "Wasn't she supposed to be in a coma?" Doc demands, breaking open his medkit.

_____
Story
_____

Hour 15

090-1106 Imperial
2130 sidereal time)
Aboard Annic Nova

"That's what I thought." Smithe said.

"Cap'n, with your permission, I'd like to get started on calculating the Jump to Roup. The Jump Tapes still have to be input in to Generate and I'd like to be ready if anything else 'exciting' happens."

The Captain nodded. He was too busy to talk.

Smithe made his way to the Bridge, grabbing the Jump Tapes on the way.

He had already set up the Tape Adapter.

_____

Game Mechanics
_____

Plotting a Standard Jump:
Easy (4+) Astrogation check (1D x 10 minutes, EDU), with DM- equal to the Jump distance.

I don't know how much Jump Tapes add to the roll, so I'm going to give it a Boon.
DM -2 equal to Jump Distance, no EDU bonus
So a 6+(Routine) Difficulty

Rolled 2 + 2 + 5 (Boon dice) plus my Astrogate-2, and -2 Jump Distance = 7. Success!
Rolled a 2 for time and it's 20 minutes

_____

Story
____

When he's done, he goes to find the Captain.

"Generate program is all set up Cap'n. Were ready to Jump when you give the word. Me personally, I'd like to leave this system as soon as possible." Smithe said.

_____

Commentary
_____

I like the Turn by Turn.

If I calculated right, a Space Combat Turn is about 16 minutes.

Jump Tapes may have negated my need to roll the dice, but I wanted to try it out. First time I did a Boon.

Just FYI, Mind Shield is always on with no Point cost. It's there even if you don't have Psi Points.

Commentary:
You'll need to do another course plot: Boughene.
We had fifteen minutes notice that it was an option.

Also, if you want to write up any or all of the prep steps (pre-Jump checklist) during the final 25 minutes before we hit the Big Red Button (the Jolly, Candy-Like Button!) you're welcome to do so.

Story:
Hour 16

090-1106 Imperial
2205 Sidereal Time
Aboard Annic Nova

The bridge is still a little odd-looking from back here in the command chair, and crowded. Zaz is over at the far left, head-down over the jump controls. Dame Irshinri is center-left, her acceleration couch spun to face me. Jon's center-right at the nav station, and Doc's over in the right corner running comms -- he has Starport Control on the line for the Dame.

"We've met Captain Puch's price for silence. What's yours?" asks Sir Gaaradelii over the comms. Oh yes, I think, they were more than fair. They dropped the charges, they'll replace the two drones, cover the repairs to Nova I, and comp us at a nice margin for the cargo their lockdown kept us from taking on. Assuming we live to collect it.

The main tactical display shows Wyvren inbound and closing fast -- fifteen minutes from firing range.

"At this point, a guarantee of safe passage for my yacht and its crew will suffice," she answers. "That trumped-up impound is preposterous."

"That's a local enforcement matter that could be resolved quite quickly if you return to Feri to address it in person. You still have a few minutes to change your mind." Administrator Gaaradelii is almost smug. I look at the display again and mentally plot vectors for Skipping Stone and Wyvren. Jon catches me -- he's doing it too, only faster. He shakes his head "no". He's right -- she doesn't have those few minutes, because the SDB is moving fast enough that it'll overtake her boat within half an hour.

Sarcastically, she asks,"And you can guarantee me safe passage back to Feri despite that battlewagon bearing down on us? Nevermind, I should know better than to even ask. Fortunately, Sir Gaaradelii, that 'local enforcement matter' has already been resolved -- Highport security should be calling you momentarily, if they haven't already. My crew are now outbound passengers aboard the Scout/Courier Spinward Poni, bound for Boughene courtesy of the Scout Base. You can keep the yacht, but I expect compensation."

"Dame Irshinri, you seem quite confident, but you should be aware the Viscount has the authority order that ship to turn back."

"Oh, he has the authority. I don't think he will, though. I'll know in a week whether they made it back to Boughene, and it's two weeks to Regina from there if they don't. You didn't think I'd waste my fast ship on this business, did you?"

"Boughene?" asked the Administrator. "You're on a ship headed for Roup. Puch has cargo and a contracted prisoner to deliver."

I interrupt. "You know we don't have freight -- you paid us off for the cargo we didn't get, right, along with the damages? And about that prisoner... Scout Security Coordinator Abernathy's direct quote to me fifteen minutes ago was, 'Just get her to a Scout Base, wherever. She's your problem now.' So, I guess this is me, filing an amended flight plan."

Dame Irshmiri declares, "Sir Gaaradelii, in parting, I stand by what I agreed to during our conference a few hours ago, despite your host government's appallingly rude actions since then: I'll tend my hydroponics, you tend yours. And if my crew meets us back at Boughene in a week, and if I am fairly compensated for the Island Two, none of this... mess... gets back to Regina. If you act in good faith, I'm not the one you need to worry about. Worry about what the Windsor government isn't telling you, and worry that they attempted to assassinate an Imperial Knight. The time may come when they don't limit that to offworlders."

"Very well then. That's all I asked," he replies, deflated. The Dame and I share an eyeroll: Like hell it was.

"Sir, I'm not among the elites as you two are, but I like to think of myself as a man of my word. If the checks clear, this all stops right here, no hard feelings. You know what? I'm not even going to check the tactical display for incoming missiles -- I don't want to spoil the moment." I leave the mic open, and call out to Jon: "Navigator, is the Jump plot for Boughene complete?"

"Yes, Cap'n. Looks good, and we're lined up. No orientation change required." He points to the display, and yep, incoming missiles. Eighteen minutes to impact, but it doesn't matter. What's important is that nothing is within one hundred diameters of the ship.

"Chief Engineer, are the drives ready?"

"Captain, the drives are ready." I expected Vargr confidence, but get Vargr sincerity instead.

I call out to Doc at the comms console, "Safe the sensors and comms for Jump."

"Electronics safed, Captain," he replies.

Back to Chief Doen: "On the Navigator's mark, activate the Jump drive, two parsecs, destination Boughene."

"Now," Jon declares.

Last edited:
Game Mechanics (Preceding post):
LBB2 really doesn't present any way for a properly-maintained and staffed ship to misjump from outside 100D, especially a collector-drive ship. (What would 'unrefined starlight' even be?)

Making this interesting requires going with MgT or T5. I'll rewind to about 2145 or so (5 minutes before the end of your previous scene) to set up my most recent one (2205). That scene introduced a couple of factors that might merit a bit of exposition.

Commentary:
Also, the dialogue in that scene (and the precursor events in the 2105-2145 time frame) could have been underwritten by the Personals rules from T5, and I should tackle that. Mostly I flowcharted it (what are the goals of each person/organization, and what leverage do they have? What are the countermoves?) and "roled" it out.

The continuity "fixed events" are that at 2130, Smithe doesn't know that Roup isn't the destination, and Puch doesn't interrupt the calculations. This strongly suggests that Puch doesn't have confirmation that they can/should change destinations until shortly before then. Also, Puch refers to a conversation with Abernathy "fifteen minutes ago" (placing that at 2050) -- which was (though I haven't mentioned it yet) driven by Melissa feeling compelled to find the dead little girl's father (after she recovers consciousness/sanity at about 2045), and requesting permission to travel with Annic Nova to Victoria/Lanth.

Last edited:
The continuity "fixed events" are
Commentary:
I may write some of this out; you're welcome to fill in anywhere.

Timeline:
2015-2030 (Post 131): Boats go after missiles, and vice versa.
2020-2035 (Post 133): Decoy pretending to be Nova V (pinnace) flees impending missile attack from Wyvren, is destroyed.
2030-2045 (Posts 134, 135, 138) Battle damage repair on Nova I. This adds 15 minutes to the trip to the ship.
2035-2045: Missiles engage Annic Nova, are destroyed.
2050: [Events implied by post 146] Sir Gaaradelii calls Dame Irshinri back, informs her that her yacht Island Two has been impounded at the request of the Windsor government. The crew might be taken for "questioning" by the locals (this would be a violation of extraterritorial neutrality, but the gloves are coming off now) if they attempt to exit the ship into the highport docking concourse. This is a "minor local matter" that could be quickly resolved if Dame Irshinri returns to Feri to clear it up. [Subtext: we've taken your crew hostage. Return, counting on our (nobility) assurances of safe passage and they may remain unharmed. He doesn't know that the missiles targeted her boat too.] [Covert motive: we're hoping to put you in a situation where the Windsor security goons can take a shot at you; we'd like you gone but don't want our fingerprints on it.] This goes over like a lead balloon, and he realizes this when she tells him they shot at her already.
2055: [Implied by 146] Puch calls Coordinator Preston. Offers to pay off the remaining damage to the Air/Raft (out of the High Passage and cargo payments from Dame Irshinri). Asks if Preston can help Dame Irshinri in any way. He'll check.
2100: [off-stage] Preston gets authorization to use Spinward Poni and a pilot. No feedback to PCs yet.
2115: Nova I and Skipping Stone arrive at Annic Nova.
2125-2130: Ghost Story
2130: [off-stage] Spinward Poni launches for Feri Highport. Still no feedback to PCs.
2130-2150 Jon computes course to Roup
2140: [Implied by 146] Island Two's crew contacts Dame Irshinri about the Scout/Courier knocking on their back airlock. Hello cavalry!
2140: [Unstated in Ghost Story aftermath] Melissa asks to go ghost-hunting. Nigel contacts scout security for guidance.
2150: Jon directs Puch how to aim ship at Roup for Jump
2150: [Implied by 146] Confirmation that Island Two's crew are aboard Spinward Poni, outbound from Feri Highport.
2150: [Stated in 146] Nigel gets a return call from Abernathy: "she's your problem". (Ok, we can go to Boughene.)
2150-2210: [Necessary prerequisite for 146] Jon computes the jump to Boughene, provides rough estimate of ship aim point for Boughene. Turns out to be right on the money, at least close enough that thrust-vectoring the Jump Drive exhaust can correct it without needing to swing the pinnaces around.
2150-2210: Retune Jump Drive for the Jump to Boughene, as it was set for the trip to Roup.
2205: [Post 146] Call to Starport Admin Sir G. We enter the conversation after Sir G has "bought off" Captain Puch.
2215: Jump.

Holy cow, I managed to fit everything I implied in Post 146 into the time available. I thought I'd accidentally "overbooked" everyone!

Last edited:
_____

Story
_____

Hour 16

090-1106 Imperial
2156 sidereal time)
Aboard Annic Nova

"I don't know if I can reprogram fast enough, Cap'n! If everyone could be quite, please?" Smithe said a bit too sharply.

_____

Game Mechanics
_____

Hastily Plotting a Jump:
Routine (6+) Astrogation check
(1D Minutess, EDU),
with DM- equal to the Jump distance.

There's no Jump Tapes for Boughene, so no Boon.
DM -2 equal to Jump Distance, no EDU bonus

Rolled 4 + 6 plus my Astrogate-2, and -2 Jump Distance = 10. Success!
Rolled a 4 for time and it's 4 minutes.

_____

Story
_____

"Whew! Made it! And with time to spare. We're ready, Cap'n." Smithe said excitedly.

_____

Commentary
_____

The Difficulty gets bumped up one level when you decrease the timeframe one level. That could have gone very wrong.

Last edited:
Commentary:
I really like the idea of Jump Tapes providing a bonus. I'm thinking that in the MgT framework, they should provide a limit to how severely an Astrogation roll can fail by. That is, with a cassette you can never get a worse result than "marginal success" (rolling exact target number) regardless of the actual dice roll and mods. If you roll higher than that, you get better precision than the pre-computed flight plan.

This only applies to the astrogation skill check for a normal jump. The engineering and pilot checks are separate matters.
If you're not starting the jump from where the cassette expects you to be (out of position after a space combat, or a failed Pilot skill check), failure is possible, but the tapes still provide a +1 DM in that case.
If you're attempting a jump from inside the 100D line, good luck (in MgT it's a really bad idea; in CT the survival odds are almost decent, if you can finish the jump with J1 fuel afterwards to save yourself).

Yeah, house rule -- but MgT doesn't include them so they're house-ruled in anyhow. :)

Where was I? Oh, right.

I need to shift the start time of your post -- Jon would have started calculating at 2156, as soon as we knew of the change of plans.
He's done by 2200, and Puch needs to bring the ship around to the new heading.

Game Mechanics:
Engineering:
2000: Setting drives for jump to Roup after 2100, assuming Nova I and Skipping Stone arrive on schedule.
Easy (4+), 1Dx10 minutes.
+DMs: Int (+2), Skill (+3). The only question here is how long it takes and the degree of success!
Success roll: [5,6] +2, +3 = 16. Beat it by 12!
Duration roll: [3] = 30 minutes. Doesn't even need to shift timeframes to beat the incoming missiles!

2030: Resetting drives for postponed jump to Roup (jump called off because they chose to shoot down the missiles). Deadline: 2215, when Wyvren will be back at the edge of firing distance.
Since this is a repeat of the previous task, base duration will be identical, and (2D-2)% of the previous effort can be applied toward this one.
Also, the high success roll of the previous attempt provides a +2DM because it's effectively a chained task.
Success roll: [5,5] +2, +3 +2 =17. Beat it by 13!
Duration (credit) roll: [1,2] (and I'll allow a +2DM from the effects of the success roll) : 4; that is, 40% of the task was already done in the first attempt.
30 minutes * 60% = 18 minutes.
2050: Drives are ready again for the jump to Roup, and holding for the boats and drones to get back home (at 2115-2130).

2055: Captain Puch calls Annic Nova, tells them to hold off on jump prep until he hears back from Coordinator Preston.
2100: Captain Puch calls again, tells them to prep for jump at the last possible minute (2215) pending whatever Preston can pull off (he's got the use of the Type S and a pilot for it, but operational security concerns limit him to saying only that "help is on the way").

2115: Slow, methodical reset for another go at bringing the drives up for the jump to Roup. Not even going to roll success, just duration.
Roll: [2]. Drives are ready again and holding at 2135... but they can defer the final capacitor top-off until it's needed.

Commentary:
2140: And there's the cavalry at Island Two's far-side airlock. The crew starts wiping storage drives and incinerating crypto stuff, then boards Spinward Poni for the trip to Jump Limit and Boughene. We'll need to hang around as long as possible to see if they're followed.

2150: Security Coordinator Abernathy returns Scout Denius' call. We don't have to take Scout Ketonic to Roup, just any Scout Base. They'll figure out what to do with her there -- in particular, whether she can take ghost-chasing leave (she wants to travel with Annic Nova in hopes of finding the dead girl's father or other relatives, in order to get some closure).

There's a Scout base at Boughene. This means we can accomplish the "prisoner transport" tasking along with the "verify safe passage for Dame Irhinri's crew" objective by going there. And we don't have any generic freight (contracted Cr1000/jump stuff) that's headed to Roup so we're free to shift destinations.

Cue your post 149, but starting at 2156, not 2206. Calculations complete at 2200, hand off the required bearing to Captain Puch, and the required jump drive power level to Chief Doen at 2201.

I'm surprised that MgT doesn't use Pilot skill in the Jump task chain. This implies that it doesn't matter which way a ship is pointing when it Jumps (or maybe only that the required maneuvers are trivial).

I want to show off the ship's weird maneuvering, so I'll include it anyhow.

Last edited:
Commentary:
Re-reading that... that poor Engineering crew! You'd think setting up a Jump would be a simple matter, but no.

1000 ship's time: Configure Jump Field settings for J2, 480Td, no pinnaces (Nova I heads for Feri)
1030-1430: Fix the Collector Drive faults
1630: Configure Jump Field settings for J2, 520Td, pinnace on starboard pylon (Nova V returns)
1900: Prep to configure Jump Field settings for J2, 560Td, both pinnaces (apply new settings when Nova I returns at 2100)
1910: Drop that, prep to configure Jump Field for J2, 590Td, both pinnaces and a Ship's Boat in the cargo bay docking port.
1950: Prepare Jump Drive for J2, 590Td, estimated departure time 2115, not 0600 tomorrow. (SDB threat)

At which point, we're into the previous post's Game Mechanics section. Whew!

Last edited:
Commentary:
Story:
Hour 16

090-1106 Imperial
2200 Sidereal Time
Aboard Annic Nova

"Stand by for maneuvering," says the captain over the intercom. "You two in the pinnace, avoid the airlock. Despite what it's going to sound like, we're not cutting you loose, just swinging the boats around on their docking connections. Should be an interesting show out your front windows, but don't look if you get space-sick easily."

Tenya turns to Chief Engineer Doen. "Can you spare us for a few minutes? Kurt hasn't seen this yet."
The Vargr thinks a moment. "Certainly. I'll need you back here as soon as possible though. Once the calculations complete, we have a lot of adjustments to make and not much time."
"Thanks!" she calls over her shoulder as she and Kurt sprint out of the drive room. Kurt stops at the forward end of the hydroponics bay and looks up at the pinnaces, already sweeping in opposite directions like the legs of some giant dancing robot to start the ship rolling. Tenya passes him and keeps going -- out the aft bay door, down the hall, and into the observation dome. She's not concerned with the boats, she just wants to see her beloved stars dance.

As Kurt watches through the windows over the ship's garden, the starfield overhead slides slowly to the right. The boats swing to their opposite positions -- now, starboard down and port up -- and the drifting stars come to rest. Then, the pinnace to Kurt's left swings up also and both boats' drives engage. An infinite ocean of stars rises beyond the plants to high overhead as the ship pitches up.

The pinnaces swing down and light up their drives again, bringing the star-rise to a gradual end. "Maneuvers Complete," announces Captain Puch. The boats swing down again to lay parallel with the ship, secured in place again with a barely-perceptible "thunk".

"Let's get back to work!" Tenya calls cheerfully from the far end of the hydroponics bay, jogging towards her still awestruck co-worker. "Can you see how the stars watch over us, now?"

"Well," Kurt replies, turning back toward the drive bays, "it was pretty spectacular. Weird, but spectacular. I'll get used to it."

Last edited:
_____

Commentary
_____

Sounds like a plan.

I was surprised about Pilot skill not being part of Jump, too.

MegaTraveller had the Pilot skill involved in the calculation. The Engineer did everything after that.

I changed the timestamp for my post..

_____

Commentary
_____

Sounds like a plan.

I was surprised about Pilot skill not being part of Jump, too.

MegaTraveller had the Pilot skill involved in the calculation. The Engineer did everything after that.

I changed the timestamp for my post..
Commentary: Thanks! Now to finish the previous post...

Done editing.

Last edited:
Commentary:
Anything else to fill in? I've got some ideas for describing Jump initiation, and for an epilogue.

The "watching stars" thing is part of Tenya's religion (Church of Stellar Divinity).

Not sure who hits the button. Pilot arms it, but the rules make it seem like it could be the navigator doing final last-second tweaks (like a bomber pilot turning control over to the bombardier for bomb aiming). Have at it!

Commentary:
Minor edits to post 156 (my reply). Jon is welcome to hit the button if you want to write it that way.

Take us out of here! :)

_____

Commentary
_____

I'll punch the button, if you want to do the Jump Space and Epilogue. Then I've got one last post.

_____

Story
_____

Smithe reached over and tapped the last little correction.

"We are go for Jump, Cap'n" Smithe said.

The Captain said, "Take us out of here, Jon."

Smithe lifted the 'glass' over the Big Red Button and started the count-down. "Ten... Nine... Eight... Seven... Six... Five... Four... Three... Two... One..."

He pressed the Button and the universe turned to...

Story:
Hour 16

090-1106 Imperial
2216 Sidereal Time
Annic Nova

Sheets of lightning course over the hull, arcing between the pinnaces and turning the pitch-black Collector to a glowing white mass. Suddenly, the sheet lighting snaps away from the hull, forming a faintly glowing bubble around the ship. Within, reality exists. Outside, created by the unimaginable energy flowing through the Jump Drive, is Something Else. A brief kick from the blinding jump drive exhaust pushes the Annic Nova in a direction that literally did not exist mere moments ago -- and, fortunately, cannot not exist within the bubble.

The Something Else follows the starship in that impossible direction, as spacetime rushes back in to fill the void it leaves behind.

Minutes later, half a dozen missiles detonate in the empty space where a starship had been.

Last edited:
Minutes later, half a dozen missiles detonate in the empty space where a starship had been.
_____

Commentary
_____

That's so cool!

It was a lot of fun doing this with you. You are very good at this. You should start your own Play-by-Post. I'd love to see what you'd come up with.

I wish The Pakkrat had stuck around. I wonder what happened. I don't think his character went the way he wanted. That's something I should have worked on better, I think.

I'm going to put my last post up. It shouldn't interfere with your Epilogue, I wouldn't think.

Thanks so much for playing along. It would have been so different if you didn't.

_____

Story
_____

A few minutes later, as Smithe was walking out from the galley with a couple packets of groat jerky and a juice pouch, he noticed a little pile of wrappers and pieces of food and crumbs on the floor.

He looked up into the darkened corner above the cabinet and saw something shuffle along the water pipes.

"What the hell are you?" he said softly.

"I'm sorry, Sir. Should I activate the floor cleaner?" Buddy said to him.

"Not just yet, Buddy," he said looking at his jerky packets. He took a piece out and held it up, next to the cabinet.

A small tentacle slowly reached out from the corner to the jerky and wrapped around the top of it, avoiding his fingers. When he let go, it quickly pulled the jerky back into the dark.

"Dang it... it's a Tree Kraken."

Last edited:
Back