• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Day In The Life

Curiously enough, using a colorblindness simulator, the difference would seem to be even greater for people who have either form of red colorblindness.
Depending exactly what the site is simulating, it's demonstrating that magenta is not a spectral colour but is anti-green, created on screen by equal parts of red and blue. Maroon is a shade (a semi-darkened value) of red. Have a look at Wikipedia's RGB values. This, by the way, makes magenta seem vivid, popping or vibrant - it's actually hurting the viewer's eyes to try to focus both wavelengths simultaneously.

Hmmm...

Marines in magenta battledress, with white cat's-head-shaped helmets decorated with a magenta bow...
At first I was thinking of this helmet, and the train of thought goes something like, 'What's worse than being attacked by Imperial Marines? Dullahan Marines. Yes, that's almost certainly worse."

Attachments

• helmet.png
    helmet.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 1
Depending exactly what the site is simulating, it's demonstrating that magenta is not a spectral colour but is anti-green, created on screen by equal parts of red and blue. Maroon is a shade (a semi-darkened value) of red. Have a look at Wikipedia's RGB values. This, by the way, makes magenta seem vivid, popping or vibrant - it's actually hurting the viewer's eyes to try to focus both wavelengths simultaneously.

Yes, in general Maroon should look like a Dark Red to slightly Brownish-Red (i.e. Dark Blood Red). Magenta is a Burgundy-like color, a shade of Purple-Red. Getting a computer screen (LCD or otherwise) to simulate it correctly for the human eye may sometimes be a challenge.

(The same way as when I am buying an article of clothing online that I like the color of that I think will go fine with other articles of my wardrobe, and then when I actually get it I find the shade is completely different from what I had expected). 😒

At first I was thinking of this helmet, and the train of thought goes something like, 'What's worse than being attacked by Imperial Marines? Dullahan Marines. Yes, that's almost certainly worse."
Reminds me of a one-shot I played with non-canon Imperial grav bike troopers being a feature. Designed for mobility and firepower in lower-tech areas without ready access to grav belts/PGMPs/battle dress.
I don't know if it was realistic, but it was cool.

Magenta also arises from someone having a brain fart, like I did :D

the answer is Maroon.....
Next, I'll take flying into a star for all the marbles, Alex...

Don't feel bad. For years I have found that even though I know what Maroon is, whenever I imagine Imperial Marine "Maroon" (whether it be uniform, beret, sunburst, etc.) my mind immediately goes to picturing Magenta for some reason, and I have to internally slap myself and say "NO, NO, NO !!" :)

And yet, when you think Shock trooper ...

hello-stormtrooper.jpg

Also colors like these are a big deal when converting from RBG to CMYK, because you don't know what you are getting until you see the proof.

Also colors like these are a big deal when converting from RBG to CMYK, because you don’t know what you are getting until you see the proof.
Yup — RGB is additive (colored light sums), and CMYK is subtractive (colored reflection differences). That’s why ICC profiles are so critical to accurately simulate printed colors on displays.

And yet, when you think Shock trooper ...

hello-stormtrooper.jpg
All my troopers were standing there, slack jawed at the appearance of the Imperial troops...
Until they started shooting, of course....

We all knew they were coming, so there shouldn't have been a shock value.......still, there was.
The Imperial troopers had several seconds to mow us down as we shifted from "shock at what we were seeing" to "Crap! Shoot back!" mode

All my troopers were standing there, slack jawed at the appearance of the Imperial troops...
Until they started shooting, of course....

We all knew they were coming, so there shouldn't have been a shock value.......still, there was.
The Imperial troopers had several seconds to mow us down as we shifted from "shock at what we were seeing" to "Crap! Shoot back!" mode

Gives a whole new meaning to "Set for stun . . . "

Infantry battles from people I have talked to say that you are shooting at a tiny dot initially, which disappear quick, then it is two dust clouds firing at each other, unless something happens, and then the heavier stuff is incoming. Afterwards, there is the horrible e-duty, esp if you are the screw up, to get out of your hole and check things out. Probably anything on your helmet would be bad, or a strange color.

Edit: Generally surprise/ambush by rules, then -5 by cover, is how I have run it.

Infantry battles from people I have talked to say that you are shooting at a tiny dot initially, which disappear quick, then it is two dust clouds firing at each other, unless something happens, and then the heavier stuff is incoming. Afterwards, there is the horrible e-duty, esp if you are the screw up, to get out of your hole and check things out. Probably anything on your helmet would be bad, or a strange color.

Edit: Generally surprise/ambush by rules, then -5 by cover, is how I have run it.
Well, that's modern (1990-2020) fighting. In the future, there are drones and other detection systems, heads-up displays, image magnification, tactical maps, and of course the Battle Dress, itself. Fighting probably takes place at much larger distances than they did in 'modern' wars. Which the Imperium's not going to just issue Battle Dress to every person who makes it out of boot camp. In my headcanon, at least, marines don't get the chance to wear the standard marine battle dress gear until at least their second tour, by which time they've (hopefully) proven they're not too stupid.
My coworker who hunts and shoots competitively claims to be able to kill a deer with a shotgun slug at up to 800 yards. This is with scopes and such, but modern gear, not 3rd Imperium TL12-15 stuff. I haven't seen him do it, but he seems legit and I have no reason to doubt him. I think a lot of scifi underplays how much future advances will change warfare.

Back