• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

All Things Vargr

7c61e5d60b183c42d8bd678df1dd3373.jpg

Santa Claws is coming to Trin.

Last edited:
Vargr: Going a-Vargring

1. What makes a Vargr go a-Vargring?

2. I think you could narrow it down to three things.

3. Environment - the Vargr chose poorly, colonizing resource poor worlds.

4. Culture - your father was a Vargr, his father was a Vargr, and his father was a Vargr.

5. Genetics - it's just in their blood.

6. They could be very bad resource managers, using them up, and not attempting to balance it off with a sustainable economy.

7. They could be raping their environments, making them unlivable.

8. Extensive civil wars, achieving about the same results.

9. Population bombs.

Vargr: Going a-Vargring

A. Fight or flight.

B. They either run away from a problem, or solve it with violence.

C. Or, they find a common enemy.

D. So communications is not necessarily a well developed skill, at least in it's nuances.

E. Negotiation might involve a pay off of some kind, or a distraction.

F. The pay off might be tribute, rather than direct submission; the trick would be not to be so demanding, that the other side decides you're asking for too much.

It's also an interesting question what exactly the Vargr industrial base is capable of, or if it ever managed to scale up.

I've don't recall them fielding any large starwarship, and I believe the Zhodani have donated a couple of old cruisers.

It's also an interesting question what exactly the Vargr industrial base is capable of, or if it ever managed to scale up.

I've don't recall them fielding any large starwarship, and I believe the Zhodani have donated a couple of old cruisers.
From the wiki, and from the Fifth Frontier War game counter set, the polities are capable of operating large warships - they may not all be built by the Vargr (or that Vargr polity) but they definitely operate them. Some of those polities are both large and old.

It's expand or die; sometimes, expand and die.

Also, that raiding tendency works better against weaker opponents than the Imperium, and time and distance would tend to towards your immediate neighbours, not a six month trek across the sector.

I'm not particularly enthused about the series, but as I was watching it, I thought that's how Vargr behave.

Not so much Alexander the Great Dane, but William the Basset Hound.

Back