• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Anybody still playing M0

AndreaV

SOC-13
Like it says on the can, is anybody still running games set in M0 (regardless of ruleset)?

I still run a game set in the Ley/Fornast sectors (and yes I still use T4 rules too).

Not me, I run a pre interstellar war period, but do use T4 and FF&S 2 custom designs for all Terran equipmemt. Imperial designs get whatever cannon sourses I can find, and the imperials get ONE innovation for the entire period: Fighters.
With this campaign the Terrans start out at TL 9 (progressing rapidly) and the imperials at TL 11 (enforced stagnation).
At TL 9 starship operations are, ahem, somewhat challenging. Just getting to orbit takes 6 hours with an antigrav unit, or 20 minutes with a strap on million ton liquid fuelled rocket booster. once in orbit you can fire up your expermental Fusion Rocket or your Daedaelus drive or Bussard ram to get to 100d for jump.

Like it says on the can, is anybody still running games set in M0 (regardless of ruleset)?

I still run a game set in the Ley/Fornast sectors (and yes I still use T4 rules too).

Same here while, I admit T-4 had it's problems with errata it is no worse than many other games from that time period.

Last edited:
Same here while, I admit T-4 had it's problems with errata it is no worse than many other games from that time period.

T4 actually has some very interesting concepts in it and I've found it plays quickly. The much maligned task system works well (with the IHTIT rule) once you get used to the idea that the target doesn't change, just the number of dice. Even the hated half die can be made to work relatively easily. I find it a lot closer to CT than MT, TNE or even MgT.

Milieu 0 is one of those great unrealized dreams of mine. Currently, planning something for Traveller Now. The world as we know it, Travellerized...had I not. I might give M:0 another kick at the can. Many good things can be said about the milieu just not the presentation of T4.

Wide open frontiers, power politics, squadrons who really go where no sophont has gone before or at least not for a very long time. Strange aliens. Great stuff.

Milieu 0 is one of those great unrealized dreams of mine. Currently, planning something for Traveller Now. The world as we know it, Travellerized...had I not. I might give M:0 another kick at the can. Many good things can be said about the milieu just not the presentation of T4.

Wide open frontiers, power politics, squadrons who really go where no sophont has gone before or at least not for a very long time. Strange aliens. Great stuff.

The setting itself has huge potential. No longer do you have the huge 800 pound gorilla sitting stagnant surrounded by 500 pound gorillas. You've got Imperium light, Imperium dark, Imperium dry and Imperium extra crispy all around you. Dead worlds to explore, hot and cold running wars, politics galore, scouts actually scouting. Its one of the few era's you can realistically justify the classic traveller mercenary adventure.

The setting itself has huge potential. No longer do you have the huge 800 pound gorilla sitting stagnant surrounded by 500 pound gorillas. You've got Imperium light, Imperium dark, Imperium dry and Imperium extra crispy all around you. Dead worlds to explore, hot and cold running wars, politics galore, scouts actually scouting. Its one of the few era's you can realistically justify the classic traveller mercenary adventure.

The blurb read that way. The maps didn't.

Warning these last few threads is getting close to T4 bashing...

We are here to discuss the merits of Milieu 0 which could be used with any ruleset...and just because the ruleset (including maps) were flawed does not make it possible to retro-connect once the Atlas of the Imperium is complete.

Personally, I like the Small Imperium of M:0 and there is no reason why we should be slaves to the timeline there is lots of space (pardon the pun) to alter events. What if Artemeus was more than what he seemed - he could have been a Vilani spy befriended Cleon with the dreams of resurrecting the First Imperium. I would be interested in using MgT Dynasty to rebuild M:0 thus introduce more factions than Pocket Empires then gradually allow Pocket Empires to creep in with a more exploration campaign.

Warning these last few threads is getting close to T4 bashing...

We are here to discuss the merits of Milieu 0 which could be used with any ruleset...and just because the ruleset (including maps) were flawed does not make it possible to retro-connect once the Atlas of the Imperium is complete.

Personally, I like the Small Imperium of M:0 and there is no reason why we should be slaves to the timeline there is lots of space (pardon the pun) to alter events. What if Artemeus was more than what he seemed - he could have been a Vilani spy befriended Cleon with the dreams of resurrecting the First Imperium. I would be interested in using MgT Dynasty to rebuild M:0 thus introduce more factions than Pocket Empires then gradually allow Pocket Empires to creep in with a more exploration campaign.

I actually wrote a little app to regenerate canon sectors. I think it has an M0 option (if not I must add one), you can find it on my website.

Yes I like the setting. My own take is slowly being put together (the two fiction stories I put up last week are part of it) and will hopefully appear in Freelance Traveller eventually. Complete with regenerated maps :devil:

We are here to discuss the merits of Milieu 0 which could be used with any ruleset...

The OP asked if anyone was using the setting. It said nothing about the merits.

...and just because the ruleset (including maps) were flawed does not make it possible to retro-connect once the Atlas of the Imperium is complete.

Maps are part of the setting, not the rules. ISTR that they had some continuity problems (The map of Core subsector, anyway; I don't really recall any other M0 maps).

Personally, I like the Small Imperium of M:0 and there is no reason why we should be slaves to the timeline there is lots of space (pardon the pun) to alter events.

'Slaves' is a strong term and quite inappropriate. There's a very good reason to stick to an official setting (as long as it's selfconsistent), namely to promote compatibility of material produced by different people. That doesn't mean individual referees can't have even better reasons to ignore the common setting, but when they do, any material they produce becomes less useful to those who stick to the setting.

To answer the question posed in the OP, I'm not running an M0 campaign, but I've authored several adventures set in M0 and also an M0 setting (the Sword Worlds during the Five States Era).

Hans

The OP asked if anyone was using the setting. It said nothing about the merits.

Maps are part of the setting, not the rules. ISTR that they had some continuity problems (The map of Core subsector, anyway; I don't really recall any other M0 maps).

'Slaves' is a strong term and quite inappropriate. There's a very good reason to stick to an official setting (as long as it's selfconsistent), namely to promote compatibility of material produced by different people. That doesn't mean individual referees can't have even better reasons to ignore the common setting, but when they do, any material they produce becomes less useful to those who stick to the setting.

To answer the question posed in the OP, I'm not running an M0 campaign, but I've authored several adventures set in M0 and also an M0 setting (the Sword Worlds during the Five States Era).

Hans

Most people probably know by now, but I really like the M0 small Imperium setting. Yeah, think we can all agree it suffered VERY badly from Imperiumgames atrocious production values. More subtly also from the idea that the Long Night left a wasteland of dead worlds.

One of my long term goals is to 'reimage' the setting, redoing maps as I go is part of that. And I'm not only throwing out the badly flawed (read virtually unusable) first survey data. But also I'm largely throwing out Marc's own redone data for the setting as it follows the howling wasteland Long Night rather than the collapse of the Imperium into smaller states line.

The first product of that is the two stories I just put up, but there's a lot more coming :) (puts on his tacky 90s Eurodance and J-pop and goes back to drawing subsectors)

Last edited:
I'm looking at giving a variant of M0 a whirl in some future campaign. The material in the T4 core book is attractive, The pre-explored and inhabited great mass of space described elsewhere will have to go, of course.

Personally, I want some actual frontiers and then the "dead" worlds from prior collapse may not be as dead as they seem. They're just not talkative or engaging in interstellar flight. But they are the little folk, they... ;)

Back