• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Are You Planning to Purchase T20?

Are You Planning to Purchase T20?

• Definately No! I have no interest in T20 or the supplementary material

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Zolomion Shoul:
I see no interest in adapting a new system to the world : I play game for their setting and atmosphere, not for their dice system !
As much as some designers (and players) would like to deny it, the mechanics and atmosphere are closely related. Some sets of mechanics are just not suited to certain settings, while others were obviously meant for each other. As much as I dislike most of the World of Darkness, I consider its mechanics a decent match to the setting and atmosphere. The original Star Wars D6 system was a very good match as well.

By comparison, consider trying to accomplish deeply psychological RP in a setting like WoD or Call of Cthulhu, then having to resolve a conflict with Phoenix Command. I'm also not so sure Star Wars and class-and-level advancement are a good match unless you toss any kind of measured EXP rates.

That said, Traveller has always been class-and-level to some extent (service-and-term), though without the drive to advance that most C&L systems have. Traveller has also changed mechanics several times already, what with CT/MT, TNE, T4 and GURPS.

T20 is less of a shock to Traveller, frankly, than it would be to most other settings...

Am I planning on buying a copy? Very likely.

Hmm, can't change my vote, oh well, little difference between the "YES! And if you make the damn thing available for preorder on the site I'd buy it! " and my current status "YES" since I pre-ordered it. Might be nice to know how much to pack for my vigil at the post office

No wait, I need to use the time to shanghai some new crew, er players, did I say shanghai, I meant recruit, yeah that's it, recruit. Now where's my recruiting stunner?

Hi Hunter or other board runners can I vote in this poll I'm getting I do not have permission to vote in this forum I would appreciate it thanx

I'm not exactly buying it, tho' I said I would... I am supposed to get it free as a playtester. I may or may not use it, but I will have it, and use parts of it.

I'd buy it even if I wasn't getting a comp copy. I've bought every Traveller Core Rule edition I've encounntered except non-english versions and Starter Traveller (My favorite CT Basic set, BTW, TTB is right next).

I'm definitely buying it. The group I play d20 D&D with want to have a campaign. And I'm the one with the 40+ Traveller books. Although my friend says he wants to get a copy, too.

Scout

I've voted 'no,' since, to me, it isn't "really" Traveller. To me, CT was Traveller (the best). But, I also bought a good amount of MT, and a fair amount of T4 (in both cases, to expand on CT). I completely avoided TNE and GT, however, since they weren't "really" Traveller (IMHO). The next Traveller line I currently plan to fully buy is T5 (if and when...).

I guess the issue is that, to me, Traveller stands on its own; it doesn't need to defer to any other RPG system to try to fit in as a series of expansions for it. Traveller is strong enough to be both its own rules system and its own milieu - I guess that's why CT has remained my favorite since I started playing in 1980.

However, I mean no disrespect to the new developers. I certainly will look at the upcoming T20 Light and make a final decision based on that (I'm already a 12-issue subscriber to the Traveller's Aide PDF line, since it includes CT support). If T20 lives up to my standards for Traveller, I'll be more than glad to get on board. It's just that I tend to view Traveller as something more than a set of supplements for any other game system. That's just how I feel - everyone has his own opinion, of course.

While I currently and have played CT since '78, I do have all the other versions and have already pre-ordered T20. I certainly will give it a good go, though I don't see it 'replacing' my CT games. More an augment if you will.

Shiara

I won't be buying it... not with money.

A year of my life writing and editing the damn thing, well, that's different.

But I just can't wait to see the finished book.

Like most gamers, I have tried a lot of game systems, and while the system itself can lend to the flavor of the game (deadlands by pinnacle) I am of the oppinion that with only slight modifications the system isn't nearly as important as the players and the GM, I have no real opinion on T20 being a better or worse system then clasic (I love the LBB's)but I have it on order and can't wait to get it. I have a group that would be more than eager to play, it's just finding time with everything else in life that makes it hard.

In answer to the question posed: Probably not, but it sure is good to see the traditional UWPs, TLs and use of the metric system in T20Lite!

Probably not. I began playing Traveller in 1978 and have done so (off and on) since then. I like the pure simplicity of the CT rules, it's interesting that RPG's started off with basic rules like this, then progressed through the era of 'a table for everything' and are now heading back to more basic 'open interpretation by GM' type rules. I've tried several other sci-fi RPGs and CT is still my favourite.

Originally posted by Takei:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MJD:
But I just can't wait to see the finished book.
Do we have any sort of release date yet?</font>[/QUOTE]Dittos. When I first learned about T20 the release was spring 2002. Then it was moved to July 2002.

In terms of the poll I may not actually run it as I really don't want to learn another set of game mechanics at this time. Though I will at least get the books for resource material.

Also I was planning of buying a copy as a birthday gift for a friend that has played Traveller in the past and is currently running D20 with his kids and friends. I know they will definitely have fun in the Traveller Universe.

So what is the ETA?

Hunter has posted some details in an article on the COTI website, which spell out the situaiton. Baciallyy layout is more or less complete, but it'll be 5 weeks at the printers.

On the plus side, the PDF will be available long before that, and I'm halfway through writing the Gateway book.

Originally posted by MJD:
On the plus side, the PDF will be available long before that, and I'm halfway through writing the Gateway book.
Do I correctly interperet your reference to PDF to mean something different than the Lite rules we already have? If so, HUZZAH!!!! :eek:

I know there has been speculation that it would be great to have a PDF of the main rule book, but I didn't think you were going to do it because of the potential for copy violation.

I'd pay money for a PDF of the main rules - IIRC, the nominal price being kicked around was $25 - seems fair to me.

If I am incorrectly interpreting your PDF reference, let me know and I'll apologize to the rest of the board for getting everyone's hopes up and go off into the corner and sulk.

Indeed! Time to start clamouring for the pdf!!!

*clamour clamour*

Any rough ideas of when? Obviously post-layout.

I'm in the same position at the moment with my own game, and it's disappointing when it's not ready when you hoped it would be- I wanted to release it for Gen Con but- ah well. Quality is more important...

Back