• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Babel...

BitKnot

SOC-9
Just rereading Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and came across the Babel fish...

Its a leech like creature that attaches to a host brain and feed off the 'brainwave' energy of those around the host, and as a byproduct passes the thoughts onto the host - a sort of psionic assistant that makes language translators unneccessary.

This concept could prove usefull - creatures which symbiotically can augment a characters abilities and skills...

Anyway, back to the book
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BitKnot:
Just rereading Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and came across the Babel fish...

Its a leech like creature that attaches to a host brain and feed off the 'brainwave' energy of those around the host, and as a byproduct passes the thoughts onto the host - a sort of psionic assistant that makes language translators unneccessary.

This concept could prove usefull - creatures which symbiotically can augment a characters abilities and skills...

Anyway, back to the book
biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After your done with the first two books try to find the tapes of the original BBC radio series. They are a total hoot. There are also the TV show but they aren't quite as wonderfull except in a cheesy sort of way. Although the opening shot of the first episode is probably the most impressive use of a sixty watt light bulb in a special effect.

Oh and don't forget where your towel is.

David "the not quite so hoopy frood" Shayne

Thanks - I looked at the front of the book and was shocked to find there are FOUR other Hitchhiker books (1995 book)!

I first read this book, oh, in the early eighties - never thought (complete sentence!) to look for sequels...

On the topic, I started thinking of all the neat things that can be done with symbiotic creatures and organisms like the Babel fish -

Underwater breathing [esophagal worm*]
Pressure equalization (deep water/outer space) [giant pressure film*]
High G reinforcement (combat pilots and large planet landings) [tauwater microbugs]
Radiation protection [gamma fungi]
Laser protection [crystal mites]

Granted only the * ones might be considered 'beasts'...

Back