• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Betty or Serenity?

• Thread starter Black Globe Generator
  • Start date
Browncoat here; Betty is more useful to me as a plot device (and a scary one to be aboard if you're not the crew, no?).

Mal...Bad in th origional latin....

B..b..bad to the bone!!!

I'd accompany Mal's crew to Kick Elgyn's crew's a$$es and free the prisoners any day!!!

I only wish they had saved Jubal Early's ship for me to fly CAP with >

Believable, beschmeavable... it's just a fun time, and everyone gets to take turns getting shot.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Whilst, I am a big fan of Serenity & Firefly, it is sometimes too much like a Western. So, I would have to opt for the Betty as those are tropes on a much more vast scale even most parts of the sucked just because of the inclusion of Ripley. A more interesting story, would be if the Betty, found the lab ship without Ripley, sort of replaying Alien & Aliens capturing the best of both worlds.

But, then again, I am also partial to the William Gibson script, I guess that I just like my Dark Space Operas...
So, let me get this straight, you play TRAVELLER (shotguns in space) but you think Serenity is too much like a Western???????
file_21.gif

Five minutes into "The Train Job"; the first episode to air on Fox, and I turned to my son and wife and said "THIS is Traveller!"

I still think so.

Originally posted by Plankowner:
So, let me get this straight, you play TRAVELLER (shotguns in space) but you think Serenity is too much like a Western???????

Five minutes into "The Train Job"; the first episode to air on Fox, and I turned to my son and wife and said "THIS is Traveller!"

I still think so.
That is certainly part of Traveller. If you ever played the adventures like Murder on Arcturus, Secret of the Ancients, Warden Enigma, The Flaming Eye or Anomalies...Traveller is much more.

I rather like the idea Traveller being like Asimov's Second Foundation with a good measure of some of Elizabeth Moon's SF thrown in.

Although, I do not deny the Western influences IMTU, I would prefer if the shotguns are locked up and sidearms (usually a self contained laser pistol aka blaster) are limited to a sheethed sidearm.

I was going to point out the oddly coincidental and anachonistic use of revolvers in both Traveller and Firefly/Serenity, but if you're going to drag this whole thing down to the level of a serious discussion, I'll just keep my mouth shut.
file_28.gif

Oh. Too late.
file_22.gif

No, not really a serious discussion.

I played back in the day when Laser Pistols were not in the rules, so everyone carried Auto Pistols or Body Pistols.

Having watched some of Firefly again, I noticed that the guns they used LOOKED like pistols and shotguns, but they didn't SOUND like normal guns. I am no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if the intent was to have it be laser pistols that looked like slugthowers. They sort of had a whine to them when they were fired.

Now, I would have to say that my players would be Gauss Pistol people!

Yes, I noticed the same thing about Firefly/Serenity but we are still a long way from something like this:
241663694_1bcb4bc421.jpg

240610189_d32cc5fdda.jpg

Whereas, this comes closer to MTU.
fifth_l.jpg

Just swung by a local electronics store and picked up the 4 Aliens films for $40.00 and another one that ought to be the quintessential Traveller film and I don't know why I never thought of it...Armageddon. Save, there would be no way, in hell that the Imperium, IMTU, would not allow the PCs to avoid taxes for life.

Betty, as long as I can play Dominique Pinon's character. Brad Dourif & Ron Perlman were good as well. I am partial to Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies I admit. Betty seems more what Traveller parties turn into, Serenity is more what I aspire to. Both are fun.

But, then again, I am also partial to the William Gibson script, I guess that I just like my Dark Space Operas... [/QB]
Gibson only did a very early treament for Alien III, only the barcode tattos survive from it. He had nothing to do with Alien IV, which was mainly Joss Whedon in writing at least.

ought to be the quintessential Traveller film and I don't know why I never thought of it...Armageddon.
Armageddon? :eek:
file_28.gif
Sweet & Sour Hiver Corndog onna stick with extra Hiver Joe's Hot Sauce on it no! Not even Steve Buscemi, not even Liv Tyler rolling around in a summer dress could save that film.

1154564042862yh4.jpg

Originally posted by Casey:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kafka47:
ought to be the quintessential Traveller film and I don't know why I never thought of it...Armageddon.
file_28.gif
Sweet & Sour Hiver Corndog onna stick with extra Hiver Joe's Hot Sauce on it no! Not even Steve Buscemi, not even Liv Tyler rolling around in a summer dress could save that film.
</font>[/QUOTE]I don't know, IMTU, characters are rarely superheroes or stiff like in Star Trek they are just regular folk called in to do a job that leads them out of the humdrum existance that you & live and into the realms of adventure.

Like the original Alien crew or indeed the crew from Armageddon called in by a variety of patrons and usually have to ask for the most from them. however, in most cases, getting the very short end of the stick. Thereby, becoming heroes in the process of becoming.

IMTU, characters are rarely superheroes or stiff like in Star Trek they are just regular folk called in to do a job that leads them out of the humdrum existance that you & live and into the realms of adventure.
So in your TU oil drill workers can suddenly accomplish miracles while bouncing around on a spiky asteroid and better than astronauts (who all seem to be total chumps) and in almost no time at all? Hear that? That's my suspenders of disbelief still breaking clear in half almost a decade later.

I have no problem with working joe characters, I prefer them. I like adventure. But I do have a problem with Bruce Willis sleepwalking through a bad Bay script along with other cardboard cliches in a terrible flick. Surely you can do better than that for the ultimate Traveller movie.

P.S. and FWIW I *do* like Fifth Element

Ok, maybe, I can retract a few of my words, perhaps Armageddon is the ultimate premise for many of my Traveller adventures where a bunch of misfits get called in to do something the "experts" be they Military, Paramilitary, Merchant, Noble or Other cannot accomplish.

Serenity definitely. My scout/diplomat character Manax Darkhstarr spends a lot his clandestine time dealing with 'Bettys'. My wife's pirate captain Bette Noire has a large extended family of 'Betty' victims she's putting through school. She also tends to space 'Betty' types in their underwear. She understands the Serenity crew reasoning, though she better at picking her fights than Mal's bunch.

Tossing my wife's two cents in. She reminded me that Bette would have another, less altruistic motive to whacking the Betty. Think about it, the meatsicles delivered by the Betty would include people nobody would miss-pirates & free-traders would be included on that list.

Casey wrote:
file_28.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif

Don't hold back Casey, you don't have to sugar coat it for us ;) Tell us how you really feel about that film.
file_23.gif

Ok, maybe, I can retract a few of my words, perhaps Armageddon is the ultimate premise for many of my Traveller adventures where a bunch of misfits get called in to do something the "experts" be they Military, Paramilitary, Merchant, Noble or Other cannot accomplish.
I call those the typical RCES uplift bootstrap missions myself...
file_22.gif