• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Book 2 and Mayday non-OTU

Dragoner

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award 2022
Per LBB3'81, fusion power starts at TL-7.
HG'80 maneuver drives (up to 2G) start at TL-7, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a direct carry-over from '79.
But grav tech starts at TL-8!

So, what exactly is a TL-7 "maneuver drive" supposed to be?
This made me remember Mayday, the drives were 2G on the starships. Thinking about that and the fact Mayday uses a hex map, maybe it would be interesting to mix the two. I know I have heard people doing it before, and I have memories of us messing around with it, same as using Snapshot. Anyone feel free to chime in, I started this as to not clutter up the other thread. Now time to go dig into Mayday, re-read it.

Indeed that was my first thought is that it is 300,000km per hex, and 100 minute turns.

My current flavor of Mayday is to use the High Guard variant as mentioned in the rules. Basically Mayday movement with Book5 combat resolution.

Nope, played straight. At the fleet level the scale feels right.

Though for Adventure Class Ships and Smallcraft a small scale feels better.

I've used mayday movement and bk2-81 combat and scale (1G 1Turn = 100mm = 1 hex)
I've used mayday movement and 10min turns with MegaTraveller vehicular combat.
I used mayday movement with MGT1E draft 3.2 combat. (which is somewhat different from 1E release.)
I used it with MGT1E release combat mechanics, as well.

The 3-markers-per ship is the best method I've seen for doing vector movement on grids... but next time I use it, it will be 2 hexes per g-turn of burn... Why? better for the T20 draft 12 derivative combat system I plan to use...

This made me remember Mayday, the drives were 2G on the starships. Thinking about that and the fact Mayday uses a hex map, maybe it would be interesting to mix the two. I know I have heard people doing it before, and I have memories of us messing around with it, same as using Snapshot. Anyone feel free to chime in, I started this as to not clutter up the other thread. Now time to go dig into Mayday, re-read it.
The drive are a mixture of 1g and 2g for the starships, smallcraft could go up to 6g depending on type, standard missiles are 6g. Missiles and smallcraft are limited duration due to fuel - the 6g6 missile for example has enough for 6 burns, each burn being 1g.
Scale used is light second hexes and 100 minute turns.

Damage is a critical hit system, a hit to the M-drive for example knocks it out and you can not use it until it is repaired. Repairs are very important for the following reason.
A ship is mission killed if it takes 4 or more hits in a single turn, or if it takes three hits in three consecutive turns.
Lasers cause 1 hit, missiles cause 2 hits if proximity detonated and 3 hits if contact detonated.
Missile hits are not automatic if you maneuver the missile into the same hex as the target, they still have to roll to hit, and you can fire missiles at missiles :)

There are rules for sandcasters, computer programs (note that evading costs you M-drive capacity), damage control, and building missiles during combat itself :)

The three token movement system is a good way to map the simplified displacement system - but if you want to modify it to truly reflect Newtonian movement you should only move half your displacement vector due to acceleration, with the full displacement being mapped in subsequent turs (that's why Aramis is opting for the 2 hex scale he mentions above).

The three token movement system is a good way to map the simplified displacement system - but if you want to modify it to truly reflect Newtonian movement you should only move half your displacement vector due to acceleration, with the full displacement being mapped in subsequent turs (that's why Aramis is opting for the 2 hex scale he mentions above).
No, it's not; that's a hassle-factor I tried once and abandoned. It's for relative weapon ranges.

Missile hits are not automatic if you maneuver the missile into the same hex as the target, they still have to roll to hit, and you can fire missiles at missiles :)
That was the part that threw me. You can have missiles whose danger space covers all possible paths of a target, that can't score hit in-game because the target has enough velocity to pass through the danger space in a single turn.

One thing realistic, is that at 2G's, GLOC is not as much an issue as say with 6G's; in my home game I have thought about converting all movement over 3G's into an agility value of 1 through 3. Normal travel would always be at 1G, and 2 or 3 would be strapped in for combat.

I've used mayday movement and bk2-81 combat and scale (1G 1Turn = 100mm = 1 hex)
I've used mayday movement and 10min turns with MegaTraveller vehicular combat.
I used mayday movement with MGT1E draft 3.2 combat. (which is somewhat different from 1E release.)
I used it with MGT1E release combat mechanics, as well.

The 3-markers-per ship is the best method I've seen for doing vector movement on grids... but next time I use it, it will be 2 hexes per g-turn of burn... Why? better for the T20 draft 12 derivative combat system I plan to use...
Which MGT1E also might be good for Cepheus Engine, and that would be nice to be able to mix them together. One thing I have thought is to just give a range factor. Also screens though, maybe giving a damage reduction number much like armor.

Back