• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Can ships change their real space vector in Jump?

.....except.... the jump duration is .... 168 +/- 10% hours.
And that right there is some creepy canon.
Then there's the bit about bigger ships (or objects) "stepping on" the jump origin point to drag the jumping ship back to the starting point a week after departure, at any time during that week.

Justifies huge dreadnoughts. Also allows sending a 1-bit (yes/no) message across the Xbox Xboat network at up to Jump-28 speed (if no error-correction is included) by recalling the Xboat that's just about to arrive somewhere. On phone so can't link easily, but I discuss this on the ansible thread.

Then there's the bit about bigger ships (or objects) "stepping on" the jump origin point to drag the jumping ship back to the starting point a week after departure, at any time during that week.

Justifies huge dreadnoughts. Also allows sending a 1-bit (yes/no) message across the Xbox Xboat network at up to Jump-28 speed (if no error-correction is included) by recalling the Xboat that's just about to arrive somewhere. On phone so can't link easily, but I discuss this on the ansible thread.
I was unaware of that rule.
Is it in a book or a thread?
I could make use of such a thing
Although... It does imply that the jumping ship is in an indeterminate state until the Jump bubble wave function collapse
An

I was unaware of that rule.
Is it in a book or a thread?
I could make use of such a thing
It's in T5 -- I'd have to look up exactly where. Also, the J-28 thing is an unintended consequence of that rule, not an official rule.

Edit to add:
Description here

Elaborated on slightly, here

Edits done.

Last edited:
Jump blockage, T5.1, Book 2, p. 120.

Straight reading of text indicates that it can only happen at the moment of jump initiation. It's in an extended parenthetical, so it might have been something tweaked between 5.0 and 5.1.

Pretty sure that's canon except for very early jump tech. :)
I also allow any length of jump up to the maximum distance permitted by the drive. That is, you can jump in-system from say an inner planet to an outer one so long as you are out of a gravity well. In addition, I allow jumps between systems where the aim point is not the primary planet (eg., to other points using expanded systems filled out), so long as the crew has sufficient experience (2 or better skills in navigation and piloting) and more than the basic navigation program. They can do it if they want without that, but the misjump probability increases.

Is there anything after '77 where this isn't canon, except for pre-standard-TL drives in T5?
There's nothing, if I recall, about jumping to non-standard locations having die modifiers like I use. I do that because I assume the standard stuff, and basic training / skill in this is a jump between known and documented locations, that is, the primary planet.

Jump blockage, T5.1, Book 2, p. 120.

Straight reading of text indicates that it can only happen at the moment of jump initiation. It's in an extended parenthetical, so it might have been something tweaked between 5.0 and 5.1.

T5.09, single file, p333:
Blockage. The presence of an object (or the 100 D sphere of that object) on a jumpline. Blockage occurs if the object is larger than the ship in jump

In T5.10 it adds text of "at moment jump begins" which removes the ansible option, but does support the physics argument I made earlier that jumps are instantanious, but it takes time for the jump bubble to collapse.

Jumping into empty space is allowed by canon - see A3 Twilight's Peak and The Traveller Adventure. You don't need a planetary body et al at the destination.

Jumping into empty space is allowed by canon - see A3 Twilight's Peak and The Traveller Adventure. You don't need a planetary body et al at the destination.

Yep, you can navigate to empty space if you're (a) jumping the last 10% of your drive's rating or (b) your drive has a jump governor

The issue is if you're using an experimental J-3 that does not have a jump governor, and you want to go one parsec...then you need a "stopper"

Zero inertia relative to what? From what you have written it appears to mean zero inertia relative to the planet you are heading for.
Zero inertia meaning absolutely no velocity or inherited motion. Dead stop. Pops into normal space and will not go anywhere until acceleration is applied or some large object exerts gravitational influence.

Also, why we're supposed to transit at a dead stop.
Yea, that never made much sense to me. JTAS 24 suggests that commercial ships do that, but military ships do not, in terms of general practice.

Zero inertia meaning absolutely no velocity or inherited motion.
But velocity is relative to ... something.

My velocity relative to the Earth is zero. My velocity relative to the Sun is 30km/s. My velocity relative to the star at Alpha Centuri is "I don't no, but unlikely zero".

You're suggesting the jump "extra magically" (since there's implied jump magic) resets your velocity to zero relative to...what? The primary?

Yea, that never made much sense to me. JTAS 24 suggests that commercial ships do that, but military ships do not, in terms of general practice.

But velocity is relative to ... something.

My velocity relative to the Earth is zero. My velocity relative to the Sun is 30km/s. My velocity relative to the star at Alpha Centuri is "I don't no, but unlikely zero".

You're suggesting the jump "extra magically" (since there's implied jump magic) resets your velocity to zero relative to...what? The primary?
Zero to everything. So you may have to jump ahead of the target planet and start accelerating to match course and avoid being passed or run over.

If you want to start incorporating system velocity, you’re going to need to know what direction and velocity each star system is relative to each other. So individual star system vectors plus galactic rotation in addition to the preserved vector relative to/from planets. I fail to see the play value in that.

Zero inertia meaning absolutely no velocity or inherited motion. Dead stop. Pops into normal space and will not go anywhere until acceleration is applied or some large object exerts gravitational influence.
So the rest of the universe is in motion around you... the galaxy is moving away from you at 552km/s

a 1g ship will take 15 hours to catch up.

Back