• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Can ships change their real space vector in Jump?

It's why astrogators are paid the big bux.
I can picture the astrogator having all these holographic charts floating about him, doing the Minority Report style swapping data with hand flicks, and the young newbie pilot asking "How do you understand all that?"

"It's why astrogators are paid the big bux, lad."

You can't go anywhere without astrogation, and apparently, they have to be an intelligent being, not a computer programme.

Though I bet you could bribe dolphin with fish.

OIP.TEcAHwVlDrSnTgI4fwrjAwHaHa

Except in a 100-199 ton starship...
I forget, did the that set of rules give a reason?
No they don't. IMTU (and clearly I think it's reasonable) it's that the risk tolerance for small ships is greater. Pilot skill usually is good enough, most of the time.

Out-of-universe, it's a carve-out that allows the Scout/Courier to be flown single-handed. Might be the case in-universe too, but not stated explicitly.

Jump cassette may require actual intelligent sophont, since essentially it's likely a copy of their calculations transferred to a USB stick.

You could have a boiler room full of low paid astrogators in the starport, pounding out calculations as a service.

Pilot skill includes basic navigation IIRC.
Not in CT or T5 (I picked those two because nearly every ship discussion is CT based but the rules for altering vector in jump are T5) that I can find.
In CT I would usually grant a pilot Navigation 0 if they lacked the full skill.

Jump cassette may require actual intelligent sophont, since essentially it's likely a copy of their calculations transferred to a USB stick.

You could have a boiler room full of low paid astrogators in the starport, pounding out calculations as a service.
To write a generate program requires computer 3 and navigation 4.
The cassette carrier navigator must then use the Navigate program, which requires computer 3 and navigation 3 to write.

I suppose you need a conscious entity to make sure the cassette is put in the right way round :)

To write a generate program requires computer 3 and navigation 4.
The cassette carrier navigator must then use the Navigate program, which requires computer 3 and navigation 3 to write.

I suppose you need a conscious entity to make sure the cassette is put in the right way round :)
Pilot covers routine aspects of interstellar flight, like knowing which way the jump tape fits into the slot in the dashboard, and how to get to the precise spot and vector that the tape expects.

Navigation lets you correct for cases where you don't (or can't) quite hit that starting point exactly. Generate should be able to fix that in real-time, but maybe can't?

Last edited:
SPECULATION:

"Generate" creates the correct equations for any "Origin-Destination-Time" pair (so is specific to a limited "launch window") and a Navigator enters the DATA into the equations [Mass of ship, exact time of departure, energy curve from the Jump drive, etc.]. Thus a better Navigator enters more accurate input and obtains a more optimal solution of the equations. A very good navigator may know a trick to tweak the energy flow rate (the power vs time) curve from the Jump Drive to obtain a minimum time Jump.

Navigators are also not just math savants, they're versed in the environmental issues of navigation, as well as the legal and regulatory structure surrounding the motions of ships in public spaces. Smaller ships have lesser problems just due to size and less potential damage to others if things go awry.

Simply put, another aspect of both Pilot and Navigator is official Responsibility.

Except in a 100-199 ton starship...
I forget, did the that set of rules give a reason?
It's not an issue because that's not the rule, at least in any ruleset that I have.

You do not need a sentient being diddling switches at the astrogation console in order to make the jump; you just need a sentient being on board the starship during jump in order for the jump to be successful. Forrest Gump and a jump cassette will do the trick, as long as the ship is small enough and automated sufficiently.

Relative to whatever you chose to measure it to prior to jump.
Thanks for providing this nice spreadsheet. But I do have a question. Is this just a list of ALL the members of the forum staking out their claims to being Nobles in "their systems" or is this derived from the canon?

Back