• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Carbine

M16s are called "Rifles" by the U.S. Army, but are often considered carbines. I deliberately put the break at 50 cm (20 inches) because of the ambiguity. Much shorter is definately a carbine, longer is definately a rifle.

The Kar 98 may have been called a Karbiner, but it had a 60 cm barrel, compared to 61 cm for a M1903 Springfield or M1 Garand. The SMLE no 4 was 64 cm, but French rifles, Moisin Nagants, the FN FAL, and the M14 have barrel lengths between 50 and 60 cm. I think the 98s designation as "Karabiner" as an aberation.

The AR18 and the G3 are between 45 and 50 cm, so 50 cm may be a bit high. The American M1 carbine has a 46 cm barrel, the SKS 52 cm, SMGs ("Machine carbines") 20-30 cm. The StG 44 and the AKM 42 cm, the American M4 37 cm. Lever-action Winchester rifles had 60 cm barrels, Winchester carbines 50 cm (Trapper Carbines, IIRC, 33 cm.)

That 50 cm division is looking less arbitrary the harder I look at it.

This could be a Traveller Carbine, but using TL7 engineering and materials
KelTec SU-16CA empty weight of 2.1 Kg. 30 rd of 5.56 and a 41 cm barrel.

SU-16CA.jpg

CA stands for "California". Fixed not folding stock, 10 rd magazines for people living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Hmm, recoil aside, what would the muzzle flash from this thing look like?

It looks quite futuristic though.
Bet it appears as a prop in a sci-fi TV show or movie before too long...

Recoil about like a 3 lb .45 ACP, not bad at all. Muzzle flash and blast horrendous. The friend who told me about it wants one. He has enough disposable income he might do it. I will report if he does. :D

Back