• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Cepheus Engine Piper-Norton Sector

Looking through my various downloads for Cepheus Engine, I came across Zozer Games Fast Magic supplement, which I had picked up earlier, and had slipped my mind. Between that, and The Sword of Cepheus, there are two possible ways to approach magic in the Out Rime sector. Fast Magic strictly focuses on magic, while The Sword of Cepheus is a full fantasy role-playing game which includes magic in various and creative forms. One or both systems could be used, or I might try to come up with my own version, or add to the fun by recommending all versions to be used. The Sword of Cepheus system probably could be used independently of the rest of the game, but I need to run some tests on that. It does have the concept of three forms of Magic: White, Gray, and Black. Black has a strong tendency to have nasty side effects if used a lot.

I had worked up some magic potions and a magic item for Fast Magic and I will need to see if they would work for the other system. I have some ideas for additional magic items, but need to convert ideas into text on computer.

Then there is the Metamorphosis Alpha material to work in as well. Where that may show up is something for the readers to look back a couple of posts. But there is always the possibility of something for those rules popping up elsewhere. After all, this is the Rim.

Last edited:
Sword Sub-sector Planets

I have been working on the Sector off and on, and have most of the sub-sectors finished, at least for planet locations, names, and planetary profiles. I am still working on some, but here is the Sword Sub-sector, which is sub-sector A on a sector chart. The Space Vikings are based on H. Beam Piper. I am still tweaking the planets, so some of the given data could, and likely will, change. Paragraph planetary descriptions will follow.

0106 Claymore: B454553-B Space Viking World

0108 Curtana: B766653-A Space Viking World

0203 Hundingsbana: A865653-C Space Viking World

0204 Head: B987653-B Space Viking World

0207 Culverin A766653-A Space Viking World

0209 Rodman D575474-9

0302 Iarn-greiper B988673-B Space Viking World Both a Space Viking naval base and multiple military bases are present. The high hydrographic percentage has led to Balkanization among the fiercely independent Space Vikings, so that the ground fighters have a tendency to practice on each other. They will cooperate against outsiders however.

0306 Portobello B656533-B The Space Viking trading emporium, with allegiance towards none. A military base is present to aid in the independence effort. If it can be found, it will likely be found here. Occasional shipments of supercow meat from New Texas are highly prized, as is leather from El Paso.

0310 Dahlgren C868574-4

0407 Olifant B554653-A Space Viking World

0502 Haulteclere A768753-C Space Viking World

0505 Megin-giord C000573-A While not a Space Viking world, the residents maintain good relations with the Space Vikings as they are major purchasers of metal ore and refined metals and rare earths. A Rim Scouts exploration base is maintained here, assisting the Belt residents in exploring the Belt and serving as a training site for the Scouts.

0506 Vinland C868534-4 An agricultural planet with a low Technology level, but highly productive with the very long growing seasons resulting from the planet’s long orbital period with respect to the A primary. The Mennonites that settled the planet take the attitude that men have to eat, regardless of what they do, and trade actively through intermediary traders with the Space Vikings, along with Megin-giord. Much of the agriculture is carried out using horses and oxen. The settlements are concentrated on one of the larger continental islands that has a good water transportation system.

0601 Flamberge B989753-C Space Viking World

0609 New Britain D769474-4 (Named for the island of New Britain located in the Southwest Pacific. That should give you some idea as to the general climate.)

0610 Wit’s End E756324-3 Settled by a Utopian group that despises technology, the colony struggles to survive on its cold planet. The scattered settlements are concentrated in the warmer equatorial regions, which have a climate similar to Ireland and England, moderately warm to cool and wet. The inhabitants have discovered that the northern forested regions are the home to several fur-bearing animals, which are their primary source of interstellar trade goods. Trade is intermittently carried out with El Paso and New Texas.

0701 Morglay B989674-B Space Viking World Morglay’s inhabitants will cooperate to the extent of fielding a small number of Space Viking ships, but the limited land surface combined with the dense atmosphere has resulted in a number of somewhat isolated populations. The Rim Scouts maintain their primary base for the sub-sector here, on an island separate from the Space Viking settlements. Its presence on one of the main trade routes into the sub-sector contributes to the existence of the B-class star port.

0705 Nagegling B567653-A Space Viking World

0708 Machu Picchu D678223-9 Machu Picchu represents an enigma to investigators. In the jungles and vegetation covering its lower elevations, ruins have been discovered, but the presence of a combination mold and fungus taint from the high humidity makes investigating them quite difficult. The planet’s population is concentrated around the small Rim Scout base which maintains the star port. They survive by providing equipment to the intrepid adventurers probing the lowlands. At the higher elevation of the plateau where the base is located, the taint is no longer a problem. Trade with El Paso, Nagegling, and Olifant is carried out on a sporadic basis, with the primary source of trade being El Paso.

0810 El Paso D766444-4 Trade Classification: Non-Industrial Gas Giant present, along with asteroid belt. No bases, Hazard Potential: Moderate-Amber Zone (The local population has been known to “shoot first and apologize later”.)

El Paso was settled about 100 years ago by a disgruntled group from New Texas. Feeling the independent spirit of the Texan was being eroded by the frivolities and glitter of higher Tech civilization, this group wished to return more to the spirit of the Old West (of North American Earth circa 1880, as they perceive it). As such, the population represents the most independent of an already highly independent group. They are choosing to live at Tech Level 4, although they are aware of what higher Tech Levels have to offer, and have strong restrictions on what can and cannot be imported.

They have been raided three times by Space Vikings. The last raid, 5 years ago, resulted in the destruction of the small Space Viking raider.

Last edited:
Iverdahl system, Warlock Subsector, Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector

There is consider disagreement about the present of an inhabitable planet in this system. The initial Rim Scout survey reported the presence of an inhabitable planet in the system, albeit orbiting in the opposite direction of the other planets in the system. A follow-up survey ship found no inhabitable planet in the system, but did report a large gap in the planetary system with respect to no planet in the habitable zone. The Rim Scouts were sufficiently confused by this to order a third survey ship out, a larger ship fulling equipped for an extended system survey. This ship mysteriously disappeared after sending a message torpedo upon entering the system which reported a planet in the habitable zone orbiting in the opposite direction to the rest of the planets. With the loss of this ship, the Scouts listed the system as a Red Zone, extremely dangerous to enter, and discontinued any more surveys. The initial planet survey is on file, and can be obtained upon special application to Rim Scout headquarters on Baldur.

You have been warned.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Potion of Cuppachino in response to a question from Mike Wightman and in looking the thread over, I appear never to have said what said potion is or does, at least here. I put it together using the ideas found in Zozer Games booklet, Fast Magic, which is a very good thing to have it you want to add magic to a campaign. Here is how you make the Potion of Cuppachino.

Potion of Cuppachino: The potion requires the use of the rare beverage, coffee, or the
use of coffee beans, properly prepared. Upon drinking, the potion increases the
drinker’s endurance temporarily by 6 points for a period of 12 hours, also temporarily
increasing the damage that the drinker can take. At the end of the 12 hours, the user is
totally exhausted, and will fall into a deep sleep for between 1 to 3 days, 1D6 + 2
rounded up, from which they cannot be awakened. The material cost varies based on
the availability of coffee or coffee beans, and the potion takes two days to brew. The
cost to purchase is 200 Credits or Gold Pieces.

Hopefully, Mike will see this and maybe brew up some Cuppachino himself.

Back