• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Choosing a 'flaw' for your character

Hey! That's me your talking about

Addicted/Recovering
Cynical
Arrogant
Prideful

I wouldn't even have to role play these, just be myself :devil:.

Of course I may not last long in the group that way :rofl:.

This whole thread reminds of the FATE system...of which I am going to review the SFRPG Starblazzers for Freelance Traveller. Essentially, I see many things in FATE that should be ported into Traveller but many things we did anyway. What both Travelller and Starblazers have in common is that they are huge toolkits that are in danger of becoming unwieldly. Traveller with all its Tables & Charts. Starblazzer with all the clunky application to role playing rather than just letting people free form it. But, I am willing to keep an open mind - as I am only on page 50...

But, the art is simply amazing and wish that the basic rules of Traveller looked this good.

I wrote this list up ages ago, and I thought I'd share.

stofsk,

Great list! It's detailed enough to make you think and general enough not to handcuff you!

That's a nice balance you struck there.

The best indies (in terms of writing, play, and sales) enforce roleplaying of disads... by use of reward mechanics.

Wil,

Enforcing the play of disads is, IMHO, where GURPS continues to fail.

The systems you mention entice the player to roleplay a disad within the game by providing a reward for doing so. The only reward associated with disads in GURPS, however, is extra points for character building outside the game.

The SJGames GURPS forum is full of threads with people asking how they can get their players to actually roleplay the disads they selected, disads they selected quite frankly only for use as "power ups".

Regards,
Bill

Back