• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Coda Duello (long)

gardclan

SOC-12
Dueling has long been a part of MTU, in practice as well as background. The only problem with this is that there is not a set of cannon rules for governing the practice.

SO, I set about composing a set of rules. What follows is a work in progress. It has probably still has lots of holes. Let me know what ya think.

--Darth.

Coda Duello
The Imperium maintains the practice of dueling as a means of preventing more serious crimes, relieving the burden of the court system, and providing a means of legal vengeance when other recourses have been exhausted. It should be noted that the principle purpose of the duel is to seek redress for offense, usually in the form of an apology. Imperial Edict 58 provides the legal impetus for this practice, and is often referred to as The Coda Duello. In theory, any Imperial citizen may challenge another to a duel at any time. There are, however, certain restrictions on how this is done.

Firstly, the challenge must be issued in public and in front of witnesses or cameras. Should the challenged refuse the duel, no recourse exists for the challenger to try again. The challenged, upon refusing, is considered to have publicly admitted guilt or wrongdoing and is required to public remit a formal apology within one week’s time, unless physical evidence can be provided to prove innocence. In most cases, this is little more than a public speech, which may or may not be delivered on the spot. There is no social stigma attached to the issuance of an apology, nor is there any loss of honor. It is where an apology is refused, or when the issuance of an apology could lead to self incrimination or admission of guilt that problems arise.

Refusal of a duel without making an apology is considered to be an act of cowardice. In the case of nobles, such a failure may be grounds for dismissal from court… depending on the offense and the outcome of the resulting investigation. The only exception to this is the Emperor himself, whom may only be challenged by a member of the moot (and then only under extreme circumstances) in the rite of assassination.

Secondly, the offense must be grave enough to warrant the duel. Implications in the death of a friend or family member, unmitigated libel or slander, and publicly besmirching of one’s honor are considered to be acceptable causes… as are any offenses for which a lawsuit may be filed. In such cases, the combatants are advised that the duel and its results are final and carry the legal force of the court.

The process of challenging is, in and of itself, a simple one. The challenger simply confronts the challenged in a public place, identifies him or herself, states the offense, and issues the challenge. The process is quite formal and very abrupt. Traditionalists will also carry a black leather glove that is used to slap the face of the challenged person. In any event, witnesses must be present and personal lawyers are often retained for this purpose. The duel is then registered with the local authorities and a date is set. In all cases, the challenged may choose the location and time, where the challenger chooses the protocol.

The dueling parties are forbidden by law from contacting each for the duration of the waiting period. For the express purpose of making the necessary arrangements, each party will name a “Second” to act on their behalf. The second is responsible for registering the offense and arranging the duel itself. It is also the principal duty of the Second to make concerted efforts to get the two parties to reconcile and avoid the duel. The challenger’s second is also required to retain a physician and a lawyer to act as witnesses of the event and to certify the results of the duel. In practice, the combatants will pay all fees or at least reimburse their seconds.

The duels are conducted publicly, and in full view of the local police force. All worlds with class B or better starports have dueling-grounds on base for this purpose. Some worlds have prohibitions against dueling, and the practice will be banned outside the starport proper. Nonetheless, the challenge may be issued anywhere on any Imperial world and the local authorities are required to register the complaint before referring it to the Starport Authority. Duels conducted on Starport facilities are given over to the purview of either the Imperial Marines (if any are based there) or the Starport security detail.

There are two protocols that are used for dueling, and either may be selected based on the preferences and capabilities of the persons involved. One protocol exists for swords and one for revolvers. In general the revolver protocol is shunned as being “less civilized”, but is retained to allow persons whom lack the training or physical ability to properly defend themselves with a sword. While the challenger has the right to select the protocol, the challenged does have the right to protest that decision with the governing authorities. If the authorities view the complaint as genuine, they have the right to change the protocol in favor of the defender. This seldom happens, and is almost always to favor the revolver in stead of the sword (in the case of disabled persons, or persons with no skill at the sword). This change often reflects badly on the courage of the challenger, and all but the most uncouth challengers take steps to avoid it.

The preferred method, or Hoffmann protocol, uses swords in single combat. The participants may use any single handed bladed weapon, although the foil is generally preferred. As of 870 Imp, the Katana has also been allowed, despite its technically being a two handed weapon. Since each combatant brings his own weapon, mismatches in weaponry are common. Instructors and master swordsmen have written entire treatises on how to best engage an opponent with any of the myriad of combinations. Most nobles will select the foil exclusively as a matter of tradition and pride. If an individual cannot provide his or her own weapon, then the challenger is required to provide a weapon identical in quality to his own.

Under this protocol, the duel is constrained to a circular area 40m in diameter. Neither combatant may leave the ring without conceding defeat. Opponents begin on opposite sides of the ring and proceed to enter only upon command from the supervising authority. The combatants will engage in sword combat until one party is injured, at which point, the injured party has the option to concede defeat (and honor is considered to have been satisfied). Should the injured party refuse to concede, then combat continues with no consideration given to his injuries.

The less common form, or the Kerensikov protocol, uses revolvers. Regulation revolvers are 10mm conventional caliber, having a six shot cylinder, and use hollow point slugs. These revolvers are inspected prior to the duel itself, and are often masterwork weapons. Additionally, the revolvers are equipped with a radio safety interlock which allows the authorities to safe the weapon at a distance. Under this protocol, the challenger must provide both weapons, and the challenged may select which one they wish to use on the dueling grounds.

The Seconds will load each revolver with government provided ammunition, and provide the weapons to the duelists only when ready. The two combatants then proceed to walk to the designated stopping points, some fifty meters apart. They turn, and await the command to fire. Weapons at this point are off safe, and pointed at the ground. Upon the command to fire, both combatants raise their weapons and begin firing at their opponents. The combatants each fire one round, and return to the guard position. If either party is injured in the exchange, the duel is ended and honor is satisfied. As with the Hoffmann protocol, the wounded party has the option to continue the duel, but is not required to do so. If neither party has been hit, or if the duel continues, then the combatants are again given the command to fire and again exchange rounds. This process continues until one party concedes, one party is dead, or the ammunition is expended.

hhhhhmmmmmnnn.....wonder what Cleo The Stupid thinks of this.....gives me an idea!!!!
file_23.gif
:eek:

I have been thinking about working up a duelist prestige class for nobels, but rather than the public spectical you propose I was thinking that this would be a "Secret" organization with only nobels in attendance and a large amout of wagering involved.

In terms of your more formal rules have you thought of including rules for a champion to take the place of a duelist.

Very nice. On my (long) list of things to do for my campaign, codifying this was fairly near the top. It doesn't work quite that way IMTU, of course, but I'll be using your protocols as a base to work from.

Thanks!

thom

Originally posted by Rover:
In terms of your more formal rules have you thought of including rules for a champion to take the place of a duelist.
I haven't quite gotten that far yet. IIRC the existing Duella from Europe (particularly Ireland and France) prior to 1800 allowed for the eldest son to take his father's place ONLY if the father was the challenged party and was infirm with age or illness.

I was also considering adding a clause which made it illegal for hired champions to call out (and therefore legally assassinate) persons for their employers. But again, I hadn't gotten that far just yet. (That might just run contrary to what you're looking for though.)

As for the prestiege class, D&D has a class which might be to your liking in one of its class supplement books: either "Sword and Fist", or "Song and Silence" IIRC. You may want to check it out... it may be adaptable for what you're looking for.

Let me suggest to you Vincentio Saviolo's Of Honor and Honorable Quarrels, 1594.
One chapter is available on line, http://www.musketeer.org/manuals/saviolo/second.rao.html
All injuries are reduced to two kindes, and are either by wordes or deedes. In the first, he that offereth the injurie ought to bee the Challenger: in the later, hee that is injuried: Example, Caius sayth to Seius that hee is a traitour: unto which Seius aunswereth by giving the lie: were uppon ensueth, that the charge of the Combat falleth on Caius, because hee is to maintaine what hee sayd, and therefore to challenge Seius. Now when an injurie is offered by deede, then do they proceed in this manner. Caius striketh Seius, giveth him a boxe on the eare, or some other waie hurteth him bu some violent meanes: Where with Seius offended, saith unto Caius, that hee hath used violence towards him, or that hee hath dealt injuriouslie with him, or that hee hath abused him, or some such manner of saying. Whereunto Caius aunswereth, Thou lyest: whereby Seius is forced to challenge Caius, and to compell him to fight, to maintaine the injurie which he had offered him.
This minimizes the risk of being bullied into a duel by pro. Just don't hit him or call him a liar, and he can't call you out.

Darth, excellent stuff!
Uncle Bob: (again bows) Remarkable resources! I wish I had this at hand for the duel we had online this evening!( My PC was an appointed second, and my principle did dishonor himself, twice.).

Question-- on conduct that breaks the coda? If swords were chosen, and say the challenged draws a firearm (of any type), what are the duites of the dishonoring party's second (where I found myself at before having to leave to go to work?)

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Question-- on conduct that breaks the coda? If swords were chosen, and say the challenged draws a firearm (of any type), what are the duites of the dishonoring party's second (where I found myself at before having to leave to go to work?)
You mean like the defender showing up wearing armor, or producing a laser carbine to shoot the offended party when swords were drawn?

That depends on where you were and which code you were operating under. The Irish and French both required the combatants to doff their coats and bare their chests to show a lack of armor. To refuse this was to display cowardice and therefore loose the duel.

IMTU, being that the duel holds the force of law, wearing armor or producing an unselected weapon would be a violation of law and forfeiture of the duel. Attempting to use the extra weapon to injure the opponent would be tantamount to attempted murder and would result in charges being filed by the attending authorities (whom, by the way hold the power to arrest the offender on the spot!).

Originally posted by Darth Sillyus:
You mean like the defender showing up wearing armor, or producing a laser carbine to shoot the offended party when swords were drawn?
That depends on where you were and which code you were operating under. The Irish and French both required the combatants to doff their coats and bare their chests to show a lack of armor. To refuse this was to display cowardice and therefore loose the duel.
IMTU, being that the duel holds the force of law, wearing armor or producing an unselected weapon would be a violation of law and forfeiture of the duel. Attempting to use the extra weapon to injure the opponent would be tantamount to attempted murder and would result in charges being filed by the attending authorities (whom, by the way hold the power to arrest the offender on the spot!).

Under most codes the seconds are obliged to restrain their principle from dishonoring him/yourself. After one such incident you would be justified in demanding that your principle appologize and withdraw or you will withdraw as his second. As his second what he does affects my honor, and it is easier to get a new friend than restore my honor.

If things were patched over there was a second incident I would shoot my principle myself.

Note: me/my refers to me personally but only some of my characters. Is my brass hat showing?

Darth Sillyus – To be honest I first began reading over your proposal looking for loopholes. You know the players are going to look for them and get every inch of wiggle room out of them that they can find (like the KODT D&D cartoon characters).

I can envision a PC deciding to select the career of professional duelist. There are several sci-fi novels following this line of business so I can see where a PC might be tempted to try this out.

Of course I assumed that the PC would only pursue this profession for riches. But, then why not for fame (their mug on a ‘WANTED’ poster in every nearby starport would certainly impact the party’s chances in certain adventures, both for good and for bad)? Or maybe as a paid assassin on someone’s payroll? They could be paid to seek out certain citizens and set them up and then make the challenge (or better yet force the other party to issue the challenge) and then try to play it to the death. This might also give the bounty hunter class someone to be on the lookout for.

The fact that first blood can stop the duel is one check and balance. The parties must be Imperial citizens cuts the non-citizens from the pack. Of course the slap to the face assumes that the party has a face! Playing out the duel under the watchful eyes of the local law could ensure the legalities (unless they can be bought off). Same goes for the seconds (yours and the other guy’s).

Possibly the planet’s law level might also present a check and balance. However, amongst the corsairs, pirates and brigands I would imagine that you would re-write the duello rules to make for more death and chaos. :D

Perhaps the large corporations would also develop a form of coda duello to whittle down the turf incursions by smaller business rivals. Good grief Darth. You may have opened the Pandora’s Box on this concept in some player’s Traveller universe. Excellent concept!
file_21.gif

In the GURPS:Traveller supplement Rim of Fire, there is world in the Solomani Rim on which a dueling culture has developed. I'll take a look at it when I'm at home to find more information.

I've thought of creating a character who grew up on that world. Could be interesting.

Paraquat Johnson - Good call! Page 76 in ROF and page 131 under "Exiles and Resisters"? :D

There is likely more but these two spots jumped off the page.

Yeah, I was specifically thinking of the description on p. 76 for Eleusis. Doesn't give too much detail on duelling itself, but establishes its importance in the culture and society. Most people wear a sword in public. There are specific rules as to how to wear a sword, when it can be drawn, etc. Swordmanship schools hold an important place in society. There are many swordmanship terms used in everyday conversation, literature makes heavy use of metaphors from swordmanship and duelling, there is even a school of poetry devoted to the qualities of fine swords. The swords made on the planet are renowned throughout the sector and highly sought.

Hello fellow Travellers,

The Honor Harrington books has a good version of duels in them. Basicly you get a 10mm Auto Pistol & trade shots with the other person until either one dies or gives up.

The closest in SF to what we are talking about is in Alexie Panshin's Anthony Villiers novels. Especially The Star Well, where Viscount Charteris (otherwise known as Tony Villiers) fights a duel with exotic weapons.

H. Beam Piper wrote a paratime novellette called "Last Enemy" in which a society which really believed in reincarnation had an advanced code of duelling (as well as a very public Society of Assassins).

We need to remember that most duelling codes have extensive safeguards to prevent people from being forced into unfair duels. I know of no legal system, anywhere, anytime that allowed real penalties for refusing a duel. The only penalties are social and apply within the group which accepts duelling.

We, as moderns, view "honor" as something internal and cannot be affected by outside words or action. During the age of dueling this was called virtue, and Honor had more to do with how others percieved you. In otherwords, reputation or respect. To a duelist, dishonor is synonymous with disrespect.

So when a ruffled duellist says that you "have besmirched my honor, I demand satisfaction," that is the functional equivilent of a gang-banger with a red bandana and gold chain saying "Yo disin' me I'm gonna bust a cap in yo *ss." And society at large treats both the same way.

Dancing with knives is a little different. A good fencing bout is much like a dance with an expert but unfamiliar partner and random changes in music.

A liberal use of duels is perhaps more suited to a cinematic style. A realistic view of duels, as in Panshin or Piper, had best be used sparingly.

Hmmm. Place and setting of said duels:
In a traveller Game, Methinks aboard ship in front of ship's company might be a bad thing. Not having a few cooler heads present may have changed things, might not have(shrugs).

Still, in the roleplaying sense, if two nobles fall to blows, and a duel is called for, well, things can get kinda hairy. Especially in the heat of game play-the niceties of a *proper form* can be overlooked.

ANd in our case the losing party drew a laser weapon after a perceived breach of etiquette, and was subdued, secured, and medicated after losing the front half of his foot. The offended party deemed the duel not over; the challenger deemed it expedient to put the player's PC off the ship.
All of this done in character.

Why? To avoid the bloodshed of a PC killing another PC. The challenged had in roleplaying, portrayed a noble second son who had by his own hand (and PC description) been set aside & sent elsewhere to cause no trouble at home. He had used his station as an excuse to get into/ out of trouble. He roleplayed it brilliantly! It also painted himself(the PC) into a corner.

As you say Uncle Bob, the perceived concept of Honor is really a Status issue among peers. In the crunch, the challenged dithered and jabbered away, stalling, rather than see he had indeed boxed himself into a corner(some 45 minutes worth). Up until the time was called to "lay on" he was offered three chances to apologize, and back down.
IN Character, he refused to see he had offended the other party. His logic might have been faulty, aye. But it was HIS perception of the facts, vis a vis the perceived notionsof the offended/ challenger.

Boils down to the fact his life was spared despite his breaching of the rules of the duel, and was ordered off the ship (and out of game play). As the challenger is the captain of the ship, this was a direct order (Imp Navy).

But then, we run a campaign of cause & effect. This is as unbiased as can relate it.(and I was the challenged party member's second).

The out of game repercussions...thats a different story. thanks for the topic! more later as we work this out.

Mike Rourke,
ISS URSULA
aka in these parts as

Back