• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Consolidated T4 Errata

Possible errata for Consolidated T4 Errata v 0.01 12/23/11

On page 8 of Consolidated T4 Errata v 0.01 12/23/11 is the following entry in red:

Page 130, World Creation, Technological Level [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](omission): The Technological Level Tables were omitted from the book .
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I have a softcover and a hardcover copy of Marc Miller's Traveller Book 1 both have Technological Levels tables which is found on page 134. Both books have a copyright of 1996

If the errata really means the table is missing then I recommend that the current entry be removed.

T4 Book 8 Pocket Empires Chapter 4 Economics

Hello Donald McKinney,

T4 Book 8 Pocket Empires Chapter 4 Economics Infrastructure on page 36 states that the Infrastructure Score cannot be greater than either the Resources Score or the Tech Level without, in my opinion, indicating what to do if the Infrastructure Score is higher than Resources Score and/or Tech level score.

Page 36, Generating the Economic Extension, Infrastructure, left column, last paragraph last sentence (clarification/correction): The sentence [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]"However, the result cannot be greater than the Recourses score nor the Level score." indicates that the Infrastructure score can not be greater than either the Resources score or the Tech Level. Unfortunately, there is no indication of what to do if the Infrastructure Score is higher than either the Resources score or the Tech Level.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Change the sentence to read: [/FONT][/FONT]"However, the result cannot be greater than the Recourses score or the Level score. The final Infrastructure Score will be equal to the lowest score. For example if the calculated Infrastructure score is 11, Resources score is 12, and the Tech Level is 10 the final Infrastructure Score is 10. "

T4 Marc Miller's Traveller Book 1 and QSDS 1.5e

Hello Donald McKinney,

I am working through the QSDS 1.5e and discovered that the USP data card does not have an entry for the Communicators. I also checked in T4 Book 1 USP and communicators are not part of the USP card there either.

Unfortunately, I cannot contact the individual who did QSDS 1.5e.

Any suggestions? While QSDS itself is a whole errata chunk, I had not thought of errata for it specifically. Suggestions on handling this would be useful...

Hello Donald McKinney,

Any suggestions? While QSDS itself is a whole errata chunk, I had not thought of errata for it specifically. Suggestions on handling this would be useful...

My suggestion is to forward possible QSDS 1.5e errata to get Guy Garnett's review and if he approves then add the errata to the Consolidated T4 Errata.

I may have discovered a couple of more bits of errata associated with communicators in T4 Book 1 Marc Miller's Traveller, Book 2 Starships, and Book B Fire, Fusion, and Steel.

In T4 Book 1 p. 84, QSDS 1.5e, Book 2 p. 73 and SDSD by David Golden list the communicator ranges as 3,000 and 300,000 km in Book B Table 190 on page 109 ranges or rating are 5,000 and 500,000 km. The numbers listed in T4 Book 1, QSDS 1.5e, Book 2 and David Golden's SDS are using ranges or ratings from TNE Fire, Fusion, and Steel.

The next item is that T4 Book 1 p. 84, QSDS 1.5e, Book 2 p. 73 and SDSD by David Golden all indicate that maser communicators replace laser communicators along with the radios. T4 Book B does not have a table or any instructions for maser communicators.

How to fix these possible items I haven't really considered any suggestions.

My apologies for dumping these items on you without suggestions.

T4 QSDS, SSDS, and FF&S spaceship/starship weapons

Morning Donald McKinney,

I am having trouble verifying the weapons and related characteristics associated with combat.

1. Standard Military Laser Batteries T4 Book 1 QSDS and QSDS 1.5e

In T4 Book 1 the QSDS (original or 1,5e) Standard Military Laser Batteries do not appear to be standard based on Volume when comparing the table with the QSDS Civilian Laser Batteries table or the standard empty turret sockets listed in T4 Book 2 Starship page 98 and T4 Book B FF&S Table 5: Turret Sockets page 85.

The QSDS shows the Standard Civilian Laser batteries all have one weapon 3 displacement ton mount installed which the missile launcher description on T4 Book 1 page 94 and the Military Missile Launchers table of the QSDS would be a turret and a 6 displacement ton mount is a barbette.

The Standard Military Laser Batteries table has varying displacement tons for one weapon for each listed tech level.

TL-11 5.9 displacement tons
TL-12 5.3 displacement tons
TL-13 5.3 displacement tons
TL-14 4.6 displacement tons
TL-15 4.1 displacement tons

The closest to standard I see is at tech levels 12 and 13 which still do not match the standard 3 or 6 displacement ton mounts described in T4 Book 1, Book 2, or Book B FF&S.

Another indication, in my opinion they are not standard is that if one TL-11 laser mount is 5.9 displacement ton two should be 11.8 displacement tons.

The table needs to be reworked to standardize the mounts displacement tons which will also change the total surface area and probably alter the power and cost.

2. Military Bay Weapons T4 Book 1 QSDS and QSDS 1.5e

The total surface area for the 100 and 50 displacement ton bays are not in line with T4 Book B FF&S Table 6 page 85. The surface area of an one hundred ton bay is 150.4 m^2 and a fifty displacement ton bay is 91.2 m^2.

Unfortunately, using the T4 Book B FF&S Design process does not match the Table 6 specifications. However using TNE FF&S Mk 1, Mod 1 (January 1994) Bay Mount calculations on page 116 I can match the T4 Book B Table 6; Bays page 85 area and length. Note that the TNE surface area is calculated using the short dimensions unrounded length not the rounded to the nearest 0.5 meters.

From TNE FF&S page 126:

Each bay has a single long dimension and 2 shorter dimensions.

The long dimension, in meters, is found by taking the bay's volume in cubic meters, extracting the cube root, and multiplying by 1.4, rounding to the nearest whole number. The formula I used is round(1.4 x Volume in cubic meters^(1/3),0)

50 displacement ton bay long dimension:
Long dimension in m = round(1.4 x 700^(1/3),0)
Long dimension in m = round(1.4 x 8.8790,0)
Long dimension in m = round(12.4307,0)
Long dimension = 12 m

Divide the bay's volume in cubic meters by the long dimension, extract the square root of this result, rounding to the nearest 0.5 meters. This is the approximate length of the bay's short dimensions. The formula used is round((volume/long dimension)(1/2),1)

Short dimension in m = round((700/12)^(1/2),2)
Short dimension in m = round(58.33^(1/2),2)
Short dimension in m = round(7.63,1)
Short dimension in m = 7.6 m rounded to nearest 0.5 is 7.5 m

Multiply the long dimension by the short dimension to get the surface area of the bay in square meters my formula is round(Long dim. x Short dim.,1)

Surface Area m^2 = round(12 x 7.6,1) or round(12 x 7.5,1)
Surface Area m^2 = round(91.2,1) or round(90.0)
Surface Area = 91.2 m^2 or 90 m^2.

T4 Book B Table 6 surface area for a 700 m^3 bay matches 91.2 m^2.

Using the process detailed above the QSDS/QSDS 1.5e Military Bay Weapons Surface Area column should be changed to the following:

50 displacement ton bay surface area = 91.2 m^2
100 displacement ton bay surface area = 150.4 m^2
125 displacement ton bay surface area = 171.7 m^2
200 displacement ton bay surface area = 236.0 m^2

3. Space Combat Ranges are not, that I can find, are not clearly defined in T4 Book 1 QSDS/QSDS 1.5e, T4 Book 2, or T4 Book B either in kilometers or hexes as was done in TNE. Can you pass this one to someone who can clear this up for me.

4. T4 QSDS does not appear to allow the installation of empty weapon mounts. I would recommend using CT rules for empty mounts and T4 Book B Tables 5 and 6 for the specifications.

The above is material is what I have found so far in T4 Book 1 QSDS/QSDS 1.5e that I believe needs to be checked and added to the errata if I'm on the right mark.

Last edited:
Another errata (I guess just a typo):

In page 101, the USP for the patrol cruiser rates it as 200 ton, but its volume (5600) and other entries (like the picture in page 103) rate it as a 400 ton ship (coherent with earlier versions, as other ships are).

Last edited:
Oops I just noticed a typo

From TNE FF&S page 126:

Each bay has a single long dimension and 2 shorter dimensions.

The long dimension, in meters, is found by taking the bay's volume in cubic meters, extracting the cube root, and multiplying by 1.4, rounding to the nearest whole number. The formula I used is round(1.4 x Volume in cubic meters^(1/3),0)

50 displacement ton bay long dimension:
Long dimension in m = round(1.4 x 700^(1/3),0)
Long dimension in m = round(1.4 x 8.8790,0)
Long dimension in m = round(12.4307,0)
Long dimension = 12 m

Divide the bay's volume in cubic meters by the long dimension, extract the square root of this result, rounding to the nearest 0.5 meters. This is the approximate length of the bay's short dimensions. The formula used is round((volume/long dimension)(1/2),1)

Short dimension in m = round((700/12)^(1/2),2)
Short dimension in m = round(58.33^(1/2),2)
Short dimension in m = round(7.63,1)
Short dimension in m = 7.6 m rounded to nearest 0.5 is 7.5 m

Multiply the long dimension by the short dimension to get the surface area of the bay in square meters my formula is round(Long dim. x Short dim.,1)

Surface Area m^2 = round(12 x 7.6,1) or round(12 x 7.5,1)
Surface Area m^2 = round(91.2,1) or round(90.0)
Surface Area = 91.2 m^2 or 90 m^2.

T4 Book B Table 6 surface area for a 700 m^3 bay matches 91.2 m^2.

The number highlighted in bold type should be 91 m^2 not 90.

Howdy McPerth,

Another errata (I guess just a typo):

In page 101, the USP for the patrol cruiser rates it as 200 ton, but its volumen (5600) and other entries (like the picture in page 103) rate it as a 400 ton ship (coherent with earlier versions, as other ships are).

Nice catch I haven't gotten to the point of verifying the ships using either T4 Book 1 QSDS or QSDS version 1.5e

T4 Book B FF&S page 7

Hello Donald McKinney,

T4 Book B FF&S page 7 Standards/Units of Measurement/Length/Second paragraph.

Interplanetary distances are frequently measured in astronomic units (abbreviated AU). One AU is 145,900,000 kilometers.

One AU is 149,598,000 kilometers per www.universetoday.com/41974/1-au-in-km/ or 150,000,000 kilometers per http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/5-8/features/F_Solar_System_Scale.html.

My recommendation is to either make an entry changing 145,900,000 kilometers to 150,000,000 kilometers or 149,600,000 kilometers or 149,598,000 kilometers.

T4 Book 1 QSDS andT4 Book 2 SSDS

Hello Donald,

T4 Book 1 QSDS Sensors do not give any solid range information which I can compare with either T4 Book 2 or Book B to check out the characteristics listed in the sensor table.

I'm a bit confused looking at the details for Step 8 Select Controls and Electronics on page 73 and T4 Book B. The ranges in T4 Book 2 appear to be identical to the ranges used in TNE. IN T4 Book B the ranges are 5, 50, 500, 5,000, 50,000, etc. up to 500,000,000,000.

T4 QSDS mentions high-resolution thermal, PEMS, radar, AEMS, and LADAR. Of the four T4 Book B does not mention high-resolution thermal, has LIDAR not LADAR, and appears to combine radar and AEMS into one table.

T4 SSDS also mentions high-resolution thermal and LADAR.

Can you have someone contact me to figure out some of the above.

May I send you my best guess for a T4 QSDS TL 9 Standard Basic Sensor system using T4 Book B?

T4 Book B FF&S Errata

Evening Donald McKinney,

The Consolidated T4 Errata version 0.01 (12/23/11) page 19 notes the Gauss Weapon Mass equation on page 36 of Marc Miller's Traveller Book B Fire, Fusion, & Steel (1720, 1997) needs correction.

On page 91 of Marc Miller's Traveller Book B below Equation 23: Burst Recoil and above Table 63: Ammunition Cost is an untitled equation, which is the Gauss Weapon Equation found on page 26.

My recommendation is to copy the correction from Consolidated T4 Errata page 19 and add the title of Gauss Weapon Mass Equation on page 25 of the Consolidated T4 Errata between the entries for Page 88 and Page 93.

I am working on a Word document covering pages 83 to 112 trying in integrate the Consolidated T4 Errata entries.

In the Consolidated T4 Errata there are notes that the equations do not match those in the "FF&S Equations" document.

Is the document referred to above the one associated with Stuart C. Squibb?

Are the equations in the "FF&S Equations" document the same as the ones found in the Fire, Fusion & Steel (T4) Errata and Addendum compiled by Chris Cox?

May I send you a page of my document that shows how I am handling the tables and equations via email?

T4 Book B FF&S minor errata

Hello Donald McKinney,

I believe I have found some minor errata in two tables that are easy for me to post here for review and possible inclusion in a future update to the Consolidated T4 Errata document.

Page 102, Table 159: Basic Hull Size (correction): [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Tables 134, 137, 141, and 146 have a column header of Displacement (TD). Table 159 has the column Header as Displacement (Td). The recommendation is to change Table 159's Displacement (Td) to Displacement (TD) to match the headers in the other four tables.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Page 106, Table 174: Maximum Speed in Atmosphere (correction): [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The third line under the column header of Acceleration is shown as 10 < Acceleration (20. The entry, per the second and fourth lines, should be 10 < Acceleration x 20.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Update: T4 Book B FF&S page 7 column 2 Volume: "Spacecraft volume is also described in displacement tons (abbreviated dton or TD).

I'm not sure which one is the best to use.

Hello Donald McKinney,

I believe I have found some minor errata in two tables that are easy for me to post here for review and possible inclusion in a future update to the Consolidated T4 Errata document.

Page 102, Table 159: Basic Hull Size (correction): [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Tables 134, 137, 141, and 146 have a column header of Displacement (TD). Table 159 has the column Header as Displacement (Td). The recommendation is to change Table 159's Displacement (Td) to Displacement (TD) to match the headers in the other four tables.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Page 106, Table 174: Maximum Speed in Atmosphere (correction): [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The third line under the column header of Acceleration is shown as 10 < Acceleration (20. The entry, per the second and fourth lines, should be 10 < Acceleration x 20.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

T4:FF&S2 - p.65 - Reactionless Thrusters

T4:FF&S2, p.65 - Reactionless Thrusters (Right Column):

FF&S2 notes that Reactionless Thrusters have a "cut-off" (i.e. drop to .01 efficiency) at 2000AU. T4: Starships, on the other hand, notes that Reactionless Thrusters have a "cut-off" at 2000 solar radii (= 1000 diameters).

Based on later Traveller publications, it would seem that the "2000 solar radii" cut-off is the correct reading.

Harmonization Suggestion: Perhaps Reactionless Thrusters have a "cut-off" (i.e. drop to .01 efficiency) at 2000 radii, but stop functioning completely beyond 2000 AU.

Hello timerover51,

It looks like Don's T4 Errata website is no longer up.

Donald McKinney's Traveller page no longer exists since his passing in December 2015. Marc Miller has been notified that the link on the FFE errata page is pointing to dead link. Hopefully he and Michael McKinney, Donald's son, will have the errata up on FFE.

Hopefully, someone will try filling Donald's shoes on all the Traveller errata pages.

Hello saundby,

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, my experience is that all of the links for dmckinne.winterwar.org return the message Server Not Found.

Donald McKinney's family returned the his account to the winterwar.org. Far Future Enterprises (FFE), www.farfuture.net, has part of the errata Donald had up on his web site. Unfortunately, the T4 links, like archive.org, on FFE are still pointing to winterwar.org.

Back