• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Converting famous Science Fiction to Traveller

It may not be the best known example, but lately in my quest to create a campaign setting during one of the "false dawns" of the Long Night, I've found a lot of inspiration from a related pair of 1970s Saturday morning live-action kids' TV shows, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command. (Much awesomeness snipped)

I love this idea! I too watched those shows back in the day and, while I agree that the source material is very Saturday Morning Cartoon, I really like your take on how to adapt the basic concepts of the shows to Traveller. It also sets up possibilities for peaceful exploration and contact in addition to the more typical conflict-based Traveller scenarios. I love to hear more about it as you develop it.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using Traveller to create a campaign directly set in any specific well known Science Fiction setting, and how well the campaign went.
Madmax;

Did you end up doing your conversion and if so, how did it go?

Did you find any real issues you didn't already expect?

Did the fact players could know a lot about the background help or hurt?

I ran a campaign mixing Morrow Project with Traveller and the whole campaign was set on a single planet. I had to rework some fo the classes and adjust skill lists to reflect a single planet setting. I did let the tech level be higher than the 1980's morrow project rule book was based on.

I did have to remind players several times the planet was not Earth and so some of their assumptions woudl not be true. But for the most part it seemed to go well.

I am real curious to hear about your efforts now that a year or so has past.

Anyone here ever tried to port Mass Effect to Traveller, or at least take inspirations from it?

I did find it refreshing to see a visual scifi space opera (other than Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, and it was made before the Expanse became a TV show), actually realize antimatter was more useful as propulsion than as a reactor, that heat in space is a big thing (thus radiators), and infrared sensors are probably some of the best passive sensors out there.
As one of maybe four people on a 100+ team who really wanted to have the science nailed down, I had to recognize that I was fighting a losing battle. The artists and system designers (the guys who designed the weapons behavior, equipment, and general gameplay) would come to me with things they wanted to do, and my job was to try to find a way to rationalize it.

The primary means of getting a "truthy" feel was consistency. Something may be complete hokum, but if the hokum operates according to consistent rules, with reasonable drawbacks and limitations, and is logically exploited throughout the IP, people will buy into it.

The primary example is the mass effect. The unobtainium can be used increase or decrease the mass of a volume of spacetime. This explains not only the FTL drive, but artificial gravity, inertial compensation, projectile-repelling "shields," mass drivers with absurd accelerations, materials science (armor sheets are compressed to high density by "baking" in a high-mass field), architecture (impossible load-bearing), and tactics. Tanks can be dropped at high speed and soft land while the ship scurries clear of any ground fire. Soldiers can wear mass-decreasing backpacks to "super jump," and wield devices that project short-lived microsingularities.

My model was how Star Wars "feels" more realistic to me than Star Trek. Star Wars is just fantasy with chrome paint, but Star Trek, for all its technobabble, treated its tech base and its world so inconsistently and illogically it's impossible to believe in it for long. Matter-energy conversion is used to save transit time, play games, and make hot tea, but isn't used as a weapon or in construction. Sensors can scan for "lifeforms" from orbit, but can't detect a "cloaked" enemy a few kilometers away. When the ship gets hit aft, consoles on the bridge explode into sprays of rocks. Ships never run out of ammo and are always spotlessly clean - even after being "at sea" literally for years.

Last edited:
Madmax;

Did you end up doing your conversion and if so, how did it go?

Did you find any real issues you didn't already expect?

Did the fact players could know a lot about the background help or hurt?

I ran a campaign mixing Morrow Project with Traveller and the whole campaign was set on a single planet. I had to rework some fo the classes and adjust skill lists to reflect a single planet setting. I did let the tech level be higher than the 1980's morrow project rule book was based on.

I did have to remind players several times the planet was not Earth and so some of their assumptions woudl not be true. But for the most part it seemed to go well.

I am real curious to hear about your efforts now that a year or so has past.
I didn't have any particular conversion in mind, I was just curious about what advantages/disadvantages there were to doing one, in case I ever did decide to do one.

I've used CT for Star Trek - once - I was totally unsatisfied with it, especially since I had FASA Trek.

I used CT for Tron, again, once. I was satisfied, no one in the group was.

I've more often ported the other way; OTU in: GURPS (before the official port), Vampire, EABA, 2300
I used CT to do Star Trek in H.S. Then FASA Trek came out in 1983/84 and CT Trek was abandoned!!!

Back