• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Could spray coating for water proofing be protection against other things?

s-l960.jpg

Everything is printed, but all material needs to be recycled.

Nano-diamond seems to be a favorite SF buzzword. A thin layer of a single artificial diamond bonded to the surface of whatever you're dealing with. Not very flexible, but chemically inert, resistant to normal wear, what's not to like.
Differential thermal expansion characteristics, leading to internal stress, possibly deformation, and material failure...

But this is sci-fi, so... :)

I remember from way back, Larry Niven was postulating "paper" clothing. It was meant to be worn once or twice then tossed or recycled.
It wasn't postulation. It was historical and contemporary fashion for Larry Niven. It was not perfectly comfortable, but it was a '60s craze. Till the hippies ruined it.
  • During/after WWI due to wool shortages, paper clothing was developed by Germany and later used in many countries until the everyone could afford wool clothing again during the "Roaring '20s". Paper clothing was then considered cheap and fell into disuse. Paper was pulped or recycled into long fiber which was put on the same spindles used for wool. Anything that wool was used for in weaving and such could then be clothing.
    Smithsonian Magazine - When Paper Clothing Was the Perfect Fit
  • During the 1960's, paper dresses was a "thing". The Scott Paper Company, started selling paper dresses as a first as a promotion and later as the fashion brand "Paper Caper". Everyone got into the act, even the Cambell Soup Company. Then thos wild-eyed hippies ruined everything with their crazy ideas of "conservation".
    The Henry Ford - “Pulp Fashion”: Paper Dresses of the 1960s CambellSoup Dress.jpg

Last edited:
It's where I got the idea from.

In fact, it's the only thing I recall from the movie, besides the plot of replacement quarterback, and secondary story, about the cheerleader trying to seduce him, as she perceives he's the only ticket out of a one horse town.

Back