• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

From the early Adventures of Jon Smithe, Imperial Scout - Using ChatGPT

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
After reading CyborgPrime's thread about a Virtual GM, I thought I'd try ChatGPT again. Wow, this was fun. The only things it got wrong was that it wasn't Shadows like I ask and I wasn't in my Vacc Suit at one point, but ChatGPT thought I was. I also don't think it understood the Attributes of my character, but wow, it got everything else right and in a ton of detail.

I'm going to ty this again very soon.

_____
User
Hi ChatGPT, can you run a role-playing adventure from the Mongoose Publishing game Traveller called Shadows, with me as a Detached Scout Character, with appropriate skills and equipment, and you as all of the other characters?

ChatGPT
Of course! I'd be happy to run a role-playing adventure for you in the Traveller universe. As a Detached Scout character, you'll have access to specialized skills and equipment that are ideal for exploration and reconnaissance missions. Before we begin, let's start by creating your character. Could you please provide me with some details about your Detached Scout character, such as their name, background, skills, and equipment?

User
Detached Scout
97A8C5
+1 STR +1 END +1 EDU -1 SOC
Age-34 Cr37,160
Pilot/Astrogator
Regina A788899-C

Carouse-0, Electronics-0, Engineer-0, Flyer-0, Gun Combat-0, Gunner-0,
Medic-0, Melee-0, Navigation-0, Pilot-0, Recon-0, Science-0, Streetwise-0
Electronics (Computers)-1, Electronics (Sensors)-1, Engineer (Jump Drive)-1,
Jack-of-all-Trades-1, Mechanic-1, Science (Xenoogy)-1, Vacc Suit-1
Astrogation-2, Survival-2
Pilot (Spacecradt)-3

Unarmed (1D) +1 STR
TL-2 Blade (2D) +1 STR
TL-10 Stunner (2D+3) 5m 100 chrgs Stun Zero-G

TL-13 Gauss Pistol
20m Damage: 3D Armor Piercing 3, Auto: 2
1kg Cr500 40 round magazine
Shoulder Stock, Secure Weapon, Laser Sight, TL-10
High-Capacity Magazines (80) Cr20
Alternate Ammunition: Armor Piercing 6, Incendiary (Fire)
pg. 126 (2022 Update)

Vacc Suit
TL-12 Rads-90 Protection-10
Thruster Pack, Magnetic Grapplers, Self-sealing, Emergency Repair Kit

TL14 Computer/5 0.5kg Cr5000
Portable (Hand) Computer (Comms, Data Display/Recorder, Data wafer, HUD)
Software: Intelligent Interface, Agent, TL-11, Personal Trainer, Translator/0,
Security/0, (Navigation) Expert/1, /Expert/1, Intrusion/1

Backpack Survival Kit
(PLUS: TL-13 rope, signal flare, TL-7 thermal smoke, electric torch, duct tape, PRIS Binoculars, TL-11 MedKit, Excavation Tool Set)

Breathing Apparatus (Respirator, TL-10, Filter Mask)

Various Smart Fabric Clothing, TL-10 Wrist Watch, Remembrance Hologram

Detached Scout Ship Penumbra Mystic
Ship's Commander

ChatGPT
Excellent! You have created a Detached Scout character with the following details:

Name: N/A (Please provide a name for your character)
Attributes:

Strength (STR): +1
Endurance (END): +1
Education (EDU): +1
Social Standing (SOC): -1
Skills:

Pilot/Astrogator: 3
Electronics (Computers): 1
Electronics (Sensors): 1
Engineer (Jump Drive): 1
Jack-of-all-Trades: 1
Mechanic: 1
Science (Xenology): 1
Vacc Suit: 1
Astrogation: 2
Survival: 2
Pilot (Spacecraft): 3
Equipment:

Unarmed (1D) +1 STR
TL-2 Blade (2D) +1 STR
TL-10 Stunner (2D+3), 5m range, 100 charges, Stun Zero-G
TL-13 Gauss Pistol (20m range, Damage: 3D, Armor Piercing 3, Auto: 2), 1kg, 40 round magazine, Shoulder Stock, Secure Weapon, Laser Sight
High-Capacity Magazines (80 rounds), Cr20
Vacc Suit (TL-12, Rads-90, Protection-10), Thruster Pack, Magnetic Grapplers, Self-sealing, Emergency Repair Kit
TL-14 Computer/5 (0.5kg), Portable (Hand) Computer with various software
Backpack Survival Kit
Detached Scout Ship: Penumbra Mystic
Now that we have your character established, let's begin the adventure. You are currently aboard your Detached Scout ship, the Penumbra Mystic. As the ship's commander and sole crew member, you have been assigned a mission to investigate a mysterious anomaly detected in a remote sector of space. The anomaly is believed to be a potential gateway to unexplored regions of the universe.

You receive a message from your superiors at the Scout Service, providing you with the coordinates of the anomaly and instructing you to gather data, conduct scans, and report back any significant findings. The journey to the anomaly will take several weeks, during which you'll have time to prepare and plan.

What would you like to do next, Commander?

EDIT: Here's the full game.

Attachments

• ChatGPTScout.txt
    32.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
After reading CyborgPrime's thread about a Virtual GM, I thought I'd try ChatGPT again. Wow, this was fun. The only things it got wrong was that it wasn't Shadows like I ask and I wasn't in my Vacc Suit at one point, but ChatGPT thought I was. I also don't think it understood the Attributes of my character, but wow, it got everything else right and in a ton of detail.

I'm going to ty this again very soon.

_____
User
Hi ChatGPT, can you run a role-playing adventure from the Mongoose Publishing game Traveller called Shadows, with me as a Detached Scout Character, with appropriate skills and equipment, and you as all of the other characters?

ChatGPT
Of course! I'd be happy to run a role-playing adventure for you in the Traveller universe. As a Detached Scout character, you'll have access to specialized skills and equipment that are ideal for exploration and reconnaissance missions. Before we begin, let's start by creating your character. Could you please provide me with some details about your Detached Scout character, such as their name, background, skills, and equipment?

User
Detached Scout
97A8C5
+1 STR +1 END +1 EDU -1 SOC
Age-34 Cr37,160
Pilot/Astrogator
Regina A788899-C

Carouse-0, Electronics-0, Engineer-0, Flyer-0, Gun Combat-0, Gunner-0,
Medic-0, Melee-0, Navigation-0, Pilot-0, Recon-0, Science-0, Streetwise-0
Electronics (Computers)-1, Electronics (Sensors)-1, Engineer (Jump Drive)-1,
Jack-of-all-Trades-1, Mechanic-1, Science (Xenoogy)-1, Vacc Suit-1
Astrogation-2, Survival-2
Pilot (Spacecradt)-3

Unarmed (1D) +1 STR
TL-2 Blade (2D) +1 STR
TL-10 Stunner (2D+3) 5m 100 chrgs Stun Zero-G

TL-13 Gauss Pistol
20m Damage: 3D Armor Piercing 3, Auto: 2
1kg Cr500 40 round magazine
Shoulder Stock, Secure Weapon, Laser Sight, TL-10
High-Capacity Magazines (80) Cr20
pg. 126 (2022 Update)

Vacc Suit
TL-12 Rads-90 Protection-10
Thruster Pack, Magnetic Grapplers, Self-sealing, Emergency Repair Kit

TL14 Computer/5 0.5kg Cr5000
Portable (Hand) Computer (Comms, Data Display/Recorder, Data wafer, HUD)
Software: Intelligent Interface, Agent, TL-11, Personal Trainer, Translator/0,
Security/0, (Navigation) Expert/1, /Expert/1, Intrusion/1

Backpack Survival Kit
(PLUS: TL-13 rope, signal flare, TL-7 thermal smoke, electric torch, duct tape, PRIS Binoculars, TL-11 MedKit, Excavation Tool Set)

Detached Scout Ship Penumbra Mystic
Ship's Commander

ChatGPT
Excellent! You have created a Detached Scout character with the following details:

Name: N/A (Please provide a name for your character)
Attributes:

Strength (STR): +1
Endurance (END): +1
Education (EDU): +1
Social Standing (SOC): -1
Skills:

Pilot/Astrogator: 3
Electronics (Computers): 1
Electronics (Sensors): 1
Engineer (Jump Drive): 1
Jack-of-all-Trades: 1
Mechanic: 1
Science (Xenology): 1
Vacc Suit: 1
Astrogation: 2
Survival: 2
Pilot (Spacecraft): 3
Equipment:

Unarmed (1D) +1 STR
TL-2 Blade (2D) +1 STR
TL-10 Stunner (2D+3), 5m range, 100 charges, Stun Zero-G
TL-13 Gauss Pistol (20m range, Damage: 3D, Armor Piercing 3, Auto: 2), 1kg, 40 round magazine, Shoulder Stock, Secure Weapon, Laser Sight
High-Capacity Magazines (80 rounds), Cr20
Vacc Suit (TL-12, Rads-90, Protection-10), Thruster Pack, Magnetic Grapplers, Self-sealing, Emergency Repair Kit
TL-14 Computer/5 (0.5kg), Portable (Hand) Computer with various software
Backpack Survival Kit
Detached Scout Ship: Penumbra Mystic
Now that we have your character established, let's begin the adventure. You are currently aboard your Detached Scout ship, the Penumbra Mystic. As the ship's commander and sole crew member, you have been assigned a mission to investigate a mysterious anomaly detected in a remote sector of space. The anomaly is believed to be a potential gateway to unexplored regions of the universe.

You receive a message from your superiors at the Scout Service, providing you with the coordinates of the anomaly and instructing you to gather data, conduct scans, and report back any significant findings. The journey to the anomaly will take several weeks, during which you'll have time to prepare and plan.

What would you like to do next, Commander?
Hmmn. Probably want to validate the character against the chargen system (could it have resulted from the process?) unless you gave it that as part of the prompt.

Pretty impressive-looking though (which is exactly what it's good at). Remember that it does not actually know the rules -- it's just coming up with text that is consistent with what its algorithms think a valid response looks like.

:)

Hmmn. Probably want to validate the character against the chargen system (could it have resulted from the process?) unless you gave it that as part of the prompt.
I made the Character in RPGSuite. I copied and pasted it into ChatGPT. Which part is wrong?

Back