• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Player Orientation Speech

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I haven't allowed concern for sensitivity to muddle the message, have I?
(wipes away a tear) it's beautiful, man. (sniff) </font>[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by chshrkt:
Ah'ma gonna modify-ify this speech for myself. See'ins how I aint a lawyer-type and all, but it pretty much sums up how I am gonna run my next game... hehehe
Originally posted by Chucky the Hammer:
Wow, that was really moving. And accurate. Very similar to my GMing style.

I award Ty his next level of Rhetoric skill.
You guys are too kind. <sniff> It's great to find out that others like to run the kind of campaign I do.

I would imagine that a Lawyer is, by definition, Rhetoric-3+ ("Persuasive communication" is to "lawyer" as "healing" is to "Doctor"). I bet no one left that speach wondering what to expect - just fearing it.
file_21.gif

I don't know if we actually get Persuasion-3+, but most of us probably *think* we do.

However, I often wonder if we'd do better by knowing the difference betwixt arguing and persuading. I'm sure no one has noticed, but I struggle with that at times...

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I haven't allowed concern for sensitivity to muddle the message, have I?
(wipes away a tear) it's beautiful, man. (sniff) </font>[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by chshrkt:
Ah'ma gonna modify-ify this speech for myself. See'ins how I aint a lawyer-type and all, but it pretty much sums up how I am gonna run my next game... hehehe
Originally posted by Chucky the Hammer:
Wow, that was really moving. And accurate. Very similar to my GMing style.

I award Ty his next level of Rhetoric skill.
You guys are too kind. <sniff> It's great to find out that others like to run the kind of campaign I do.

I would imagine that a Lawyer is, by definition, Rhetoric-3+ ("Persuasive communication" is to "lawyer" as "healing" is to "Doctor"). I bet no one left that speach wondering what to expect - just fearing it.
file_21.gif

I don't know if we actually get Persuasion-3+, but most of us probably *think* we do.

However, I often wonder if we'd do better by knowing the difference betwixt arguing and persuading. I'm sure no one has noticed, but I struggle with that at times...

Originally posted by kafka47:
I usually say something like this:

Imagine any Science Fiction film, novel or computer game. That is Traveller. However, it is up to you to create your role in this universe. You are not big name heroes but ordinary smoes who are on the way to becoming heroines. The future ain't pretty either, some planets are virtual paradises, some are living hells. You are the few who decide to make their way between the stars for trade, profit and most importantly adventure. That helps pay the way. Don't neccessarily think about Star Trek or Star Wars think Firefly. The future is mean and gritty. The future is also in your hands. Build it now!
Well, your version is rather blunt and lacks the subtlety and understatement of my speech, but I guess it gets the job done.
file_23.gif

In all seriousness, though, I like it. It clearly communicates what kind of campaign to expect.

And I really think that clearly communicating the tone and expectations of a campaign can go a long way towards making the game enjoyable. I'm sure we've all been in (or ran) games where the game master and players were not on the same page. Yuck.

Originally posted by kafka47:
I usually say something like this:

Imagine any Science Fiction film, novel or computer game. That is Traveller. However, it is up to you to create your role in this universe. You are not big name heroes but ordinary smoes who are on the way to becoming heroines. The future ain't pretty either, some planets are virtual paradises, some are living hells. You are the few who decide to make their way between the stars for trade, profit and most importantly adventure. That helps pay the way. Don't neccessarily think about Star Trek or Star Wars think Firefly. The future is mean and gritty. The future is also in your hands. Build it now!
Well, your version is rather blunt and lacks the subtlety and understatement of my speech, but I guess it gets the job done.
file_23.gif

In all seriousness, though, I like it. It clearly communicates what kind of campaign to expect.

And I really think that clearly communicating the tone and expectations of a campaign can go a long way towards making the game enjoyable. I'm sure we've all been in (or ran) games where the game master and players were not on the same page. Yuck.

Originally posted by SirKerry:
tbeard1999, your player orientation speech rocks
SirKerry, just fyi. What he says in his orientation speech is about 180 degrees from what you can expect in my game. He's got a whole different style of play. If you start playing with us, my group is about as far from Big Damn Heros, going in, gunz a-blazin', that you can get. You saw my combat rules. If you do that in my game, you'll be Big Damn Dead.

Just to let you know, my game is more the new Battlestar Galactica and much less blaster-bolts flying Star Wars. Is there action? Sure. But, it's not a gunfight every night. And, when guns are used, real people die.

My game is much more focussed on roleplaying and story. It's not an adreneline action-movie like Mission Impossible II. It's more like Spy Game or Three Days of the Condor. The characters aren't pulp fiction bigger-than-life heros. They're real people caught up in hyper-real sci-fi events. Think less James Bond and more Jason Bourne.

...I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page as to what to expect.

Originally posted by SirKerry:
SirKerry, just fyi. What he says in his orientation speech is about 180 degrees from what you can expect in my game. He's got a whole different style of play. If you start playing with us, my group is about as far from Big Damn Heros, going in, gunz a-blazin', that you can get. You saw my combat rules. If you do that in my game, you'll be Big Damn Dead.

Just to let you know, my game is more the new Battlestar Galactica and much less blaster-bolts flying Star Wars. Is there action? Sure. But, it's not a gunfight every night. And, when guns are used, real people die.

My game is much more focussed on roleplaying and story. It's not an adreneline action-movie like Mission Impossible II. It's more like Spy Game or Three Days of the Condor. The characters aren't pulp fiction bigger-than-life heros. They're real people caught up in hyper-real sci-fi events. Think less James Bond and more Jason Bourne.

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SirKerry:
SirKerry, just fyi. What he says in his orientation speech is about 180 degrees from what you can expect in my game. He's got a whole different style of play. If you start playing with us, my group is about as far from Big Damn Heros, going in, gunz a-blazin', that you can get. ...

Just to let you know, my game is more the new Battlestar Galactica ...

Is there action? Sure. But, it's not a gunfight every night. And, when guns are used, real people die.

My game is much more focussed on roleplaying and story. ...

</font>[/QUOTE]A few comments:

1. You're absolutely correct to point out differences between your campaign and others. This keeps players from being surprised.

2. Re: Galactica. I hope you don't force male characters in your campaign to be as whiny, codependent, angst-filled and wimpy as those in Galactica.

3.I'm not sure I agree with your (apparent) inference that action, excitement and heroic adventures is somehow incompatible with "roleplaying" and "story". Both can be found in spades in a well-run Big Damn Heroes campaign (or "story" campaign). Similarly excrutiating boredom can be found in poorly-run campaigns, regardless of excitement level and regardless of their purported focus on "story".

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SirKerry:
SirKerry, just fyi. What he says in his orientation speech is about 180 degrees from what you can expect in my game. He's got a whole different style of play. If you start playing with us, my group is about as far from Big Damn Heros, going in, gunz a-blazin', that you can get. ...

Just to let you know, my game is more the new Battlestar Galactica ...

Is there action? Sure. But, it's not a gunfight every night. And, when guns are used, real people die.

My game is much more focussed on roleplaying and story. ...

</font>[/QUOTE]A few comments:

1. You're absolutely correct to point out differences between your campaign and others. This keeps players from being surprised.

2. Re: Galactica. I hope you don't force male characters in your campaign to be as whiny, codependent, angst-filled and wimpy as those in Galactica.

3.I'm not sure I agree with your (apparent) inference that action, excitement and heroic adventures is somehow incompatible with "roleplaying" and "story". Both can be found in spades in a well-run Big Damn Heroes campaign (or "story" campaign). Similarly excrutiating boredom can be found in poorly-run campaigns, regardless of excitement level and regardless of their purported focus on "story".

Originally posted by tbeard1999:
He may come play with us. I just wanted to make sure he knew what he was in for.

Acutally, I think, and all my players think, that the new Galactica is the best science fiction show to ever hit the airwaves. Heck, it's probably the best TV show I've ever seen.

To say that we like the show is an understatement.

Sure. I meant no slight to your game at all. I absolutely love the D6 Star Wars game, and when I run that, my players are Big Damn Heroes, larger than life, going in full throttle, Darth Vader on their heels, a Princess on their hip, swingin' across a chasm with 50 cloned sharpshooters blastin' at 'em.

Yep, that style of play is certainly fun. I'm not "downing" it at all. You might have read me wrong on that.

It's just that, when it comes to Traveller, we take a more realistic, serious approach.

I wanted to make sure Kerry knew he wasn't in for Star Wars. It's more like Alien, Aliens, or Outland.

S4

Originally posted by tbeard1999:
He may come play with us. I just wanted to make sure he knew what he was in for.

Acutally, I think, and all my players think, that the new Galactica is the best science fiction show to ever hit the airwaves. Heck, it's probably the best TV show I've ever seen.

Sure. I meant no slight to your game at all. I absolutely love the D6 Star Wars game, and when I run that, my players are Big Damn Heroes, larger than life, going in full throttle, Darth Vader on their heels, a Princess on their hip, swingin' across a chasm with 50 cloned sharpshooters blastin' at 'em.

Yep, that style of play is certainly fun. I'm not "downing" it at all. You might have read me wrong on that.

It's just that, when it comes to Traveller, we take a more realistic, serious approach.

I wanted to make sure Kerry knew he wasn't in for Star Wars. It's more like Alien, Aliens, or Outland.

S4

Understood. I just thought he had a good orientation speech.

I'm in a 100% agreement with you guys about the new BG.

Which is fine with me, I'm just looking for a Traveller game to play, the actual flavor isn't that big of a deal to me. I've played many different flavors of Traveller of the years from space opera, science fantasy, science horror, soft science fiction, hard science fiction, etc. They all have their merits and were enjoyable to play.

Kerry

Understood. I just thought he had a good orientation speech.

I'm in a 100% agreement with you guys about the new BG.

Which is fine with me, I'm just looking for a Traveller game to play, the actual flavor isn't that big of a deal to me. I've played many different flavors of Traveller of the years from space opera, science fantasy, science horror, soft science fiction, hard science fiction, etc. They all have their merits and were enjoyable to play.

Kerry

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tbeard1999:

</font>[/QUOTE]Well, it takes all kinds. You know, I really wanted to like the new Galactica. The retro-tech look appealed to me and I had high hopes.

But I got so tired of the pissy, whiny men that I started actively rooting for the Cylons by the end of the miniseries.

While the cliched butt-kicking chicks were tedious, at least some of them were good looking. And to be fair, if the men are gonna be as whiny, weak and feckless as Apollo & Co., then the women *have* to step up if the race is to survive. So although Starbuck in particular is a really cheap imitation of Ellen Ripley and Zoe Washburn, I cut the BG women some slack. I did enjoy Baltar, because he was (a) funny; and (b) the only weaselly, whiny male who was entertaining, rather than annoying.

Oh, and the War on Terror symbolism was (a) so heavy handed as to constitute symbolic overkill; (b) poorly analogized; (c) agonizingly predictable and (d) stupifyingly cliched.

Words are inadequate to describe my horror that Edward James Olmos turned into as much a wimp as the other BG sissies. To do this to Lt. Castillo -- a man who scared the heck out of Crockett and Tubbs -- is a crime against humanity.

And of course, let's not forget the SANCTIMONIOUSNESS and preachifying. Gack.

My favorite episonde to hate was the one where the Cylons could have been destroyed by a virus. At the last moment, the BG woosy-boys decided that it would be *immoral* to annihilate a bunch of machines that had murdered 99.999% of the human race.

People that pathetic don't deserve to live. Which is of course why I root for the Cylons.

To be fair, Jean-Wimp Picard did exactly the same thing with the Borg and did not get a well earned courtmartial and execution for treason. But at least Picard's perfidy was slightly surprising. Anyone with the IQ of a stale donut knew as soon as the plot point was disclosed that the BG whiny-boys would never pull the trigger. And of course, that they would bore us to *death* with sanctimonious moralizing.

Oh...and get a steadycam Ronald. That jittery camera thing is so NYPD Blue 1992. And you might ask Joss Whedon to show you how to write strong women who are not caricatures of men.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />3.I'm not sure I agree with your (apparent) inference that action, excitement and heroic adventures is somehow incompatible with "roleplaying" and "story". Both can be found in spades in a well-run Big Damn Heroes campaign (or "story" campaign). Similarly excrutiating boredom can be found in poorly-run campaigns, regardless of excitement level and regardless of their purported focus on "story".

</font>[/QUOTE]Apparently so. Sorry about that.

S4
I wouldn't think that Aliens would qualify for your type of game. It's a nonstop bughunt with awesome amounts of shooting...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tbeard1999:

</font>[/QUOTE]Well, it takes all kinds. You know, I really wanted to like the new Galactica. The retro-tech look appealed to me and I had high hopes.

But I got so tired of the pissy, whiny men that I started actively rooting for the Cylons by the end of the miniseries.

While the cliched butt-kicking chicks were tedious, at least some of them were good looking. And to be fair, if the men are gonna be as whiny, weak and feckless as Apollo & Co., then the women *have* to step up if the race is to survive. So although Starbuck in particular is a really cheap imitation of Ellen Ripley and Zoe Washburn, I cut the BG women some slack. I did enjoy Baltar, because he was (a) funny; and (b) the only weaselly, whiny male who was entertaining, rather than annoying.

Oh, and the War on Terror symbolism was (a) so heavy handed as to constitute symbolic overkill; (b) poorly analogized; (c) agonizingly predictable and (d) stupifyingly cliched.

Words are inadequate to describe my horror that Edward James Olmos turned into as much a wimp as the other BG sissies. To do this to Lt. Castillo -- a man who scared the heck out of Crockett and Tubbs -- is a crime against humanity.

And of course, let's not forget the SANCTIMONIOUSNESS and preachifying. Gack.

My favorite episonde to hate was the one where the Cylons could have been destroyed by a virus. At the last moment, the BG woosy-boys decided that it would be *immoral* to annihilate a bunch of machines that had murdered 99.999% of the human race.

People that pathetic don't deserve to live. Which is of course why I root for the Cylons.

To be fair, Jean-Wimp Picard did exactly the same thing with the Borg and did not get a well earned courtmartial and execution for treason. But at least Picard's perfidy was slightly surprising. Anyone with the IQ of a stale donut knew as soon as the plot point was disclosed that the BG whiny-boys would never pull the trigger. And of course, that they would bore us to *death* with sanctimonious moralizing.

Oh...and get a steadycam Ronald. That jittery camera thing is so NYPD Blue 1992. And you might ask Joss Whedon to show you how to write strong women who are not caricatures of men.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />3.I'm not sure I agree with your (apparent) inference that action, excitement and heroic adventures is somehow incompatible with "roleplaying" and "story". Both can be found in spades in a well-run Big Damn Heroes campaign (or "story" campaign). Similarly excrutiating boredom can be found in poorly-run campaigns, regardless of excitement level and regardless of their purported focus on "story".

</font>[/QUOTE]Apparently so. Sorry about that.

S4
I wouldn't think that Aliens would qualify for your type of game. It's a nonstop bughunt with awesome amounts of shooting...

Back