• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

D&D Monsters as T20 Aliens

If there is any race from the Monstrous Manual that should be used in Traveller20, it is the Slaad. Of course, you must make a few modifications (no Summoning and such in my Traveller universe) but for the most part I think slaads can be used as is.

Make their planet of origin a hostile one, perhaps geological unstable and in a wierd orbit, thus explaining their somewhat chaotic metabolism and powers. This could be the result of a hit from one of the Ancients weapons, or some side effect of having a few Ancient artefacts around.

How about that?

To Heck with all of the muscle monsters from the DnD books.

Just give the beauties ie Nymph, Dryad and the Succubus.
file_23.gif

Those three up against the average Traveller Players would be most interesting.
file_21.gif

It would only work if your were using the rules with take into account the "special" powers of the three above.

What rules you say....that is for another post. :eek:

Originally posted by Ellros:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Casey:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kafka47:
Wasn't there a Roger E. Moore article ("Dwarves in Space") that addressed this whole issue of conversion?
Yes Dragon#70, February 1983 (gah almost 20 years ago :eek: ) has the smith NPC and a fantasy Aztec adventure in it. My first Dragon. I still have it, no cover alas.

Best legal bet is the excellent (and cheap for what you're getting) Dragon Magazine Archive, esp. if you also like D&D. The whole archive is probaly less expensive than some of the issues around this number.

I'm sure it's also out there somewhere.

Main suggestions are no magic items or spells, expand the range of archaic weapons, use custom-made environments when needed. The main problem he ran into was converting AD&D stats to Traveller, which is largely avoided with T20. Still the article is worth reading.

And the old Fantasy Games Unlimited games, a Judges Guild ad with Traveller Dice depicted, What's New? and Wormy comics, and a GDW ad for The Traveller Book are great nostaliga.

Casey
</font>[/QUOTE]$39.99 at Amazon.com

Dragon Magazine CD archive
</font>[/QUOTE]Well I have Stategic Review 1-4, and Dragons 1-300 stored away and the Dragon Archive CD also.
:cool:

I remember reading somewhere about someone running a game with the Neogi as a minor fringe race, slavers of course.. Sounds like an idea...

RV

Originally posted by RabidVargr:
I remember reading somewhere about someone running a game with the Neogi as a minor fringe race, slavers of course.. Sounds like an idea...

RV
Neogi, in Traveller, likeable? NOPE! Useful slavers in borderlands regions, AYE!

Originally posted by Sinbad Sam:
To Heck with all of the muscle monsters from the DnD books.

Just give the beauties ie Nymph, Dryad and the Succubus.
file_23.gif
And the various planetouched from Planescape. :cool: Well at least the ones mostly resembling human.
file_28.gif
There has to be at least one door to the Traveller Universe from Sigil.

I plan on sprinkling planetouched in a few places around my T20 game. Including three half sisters currently wreaking havoc in a Freeport campaign of mine.
file_23.gif
One's a Tiefling Wizard, another (whatever the name for Chaos Touched is) is a CN Chaos Magic Sorceress, and I just intro'd the third, a warrior of some sort. Who knows who the father is, mebbie Grandfather himself?
file_21.gif

Slaad would be a great addition. Along with Githyanki and have some Mind Flayers frying and dining here and there :eek: .

Have to keep them few and far between, except for the Gobbers (civilized goblins by Privateer Press) which will be annoying and tinkering with everything mechanical in at least one starport.

Finally, I have to figure out some way to put in at least one rogue modron somewhere. Probably as some bio-robot gone off his program.
Free Modron Stats from WotC

BTW, here's the place to go for your fix of old D&D monsters converted to 3rd Edition stats that might be used as T20 Aliens:
http://www.enworld.org/cc/index.php

The site also has new beasties, where to look for a specific monster, the Dragon article on how to create monsters for D&D, etc.

And the Tome of Horrors (not the old module) has a bunch of the old monsters in hardcover book form. Looked good at my FLGS but a little $$ for me at the moment. And the art's b&w* unlike the current WotC stuff.

As always, Free is Good(tm) and YTMMV,

Casey

*though in the Sword & Sorcery/White Wolf style. I don't mind it, like some of it, but YMMV.

I have been thinking converting some dnd monsters myself. The only problem I am having is with travellers lifeblood damage system, is what to do about monsters with Damage Reduction. Do I just get rid of it or what?

Does anybody know what to do or am I missing something.

If there is a conversion I would seriously think about using the Lifeblood version in a standard d20 fanatsy game. More deadly and realistic.

Regards

Izzy

Originally posted by Izzy:
I have been thinking converting some dnd monsters myself. The only problem I am having is with travellers lifeblood damage system, is what to do about monsters with Damage Reduction. Do I just get rid of it or what?

Does anybody know what to do or am I missing something.

If there is a conversion I would seriously think about using the Lifeblood version in a standard d20 fanatsy game. More deadly and realistic.

RegardsIzzy
A troll, 6+6 hd. (Thats a plus 1 per hd, or at least a 12 LB/ 12 CON (+1). Now fer unusual criters, say 4+2 hd, Giant Lizard, thats 1pt per two hit (stamina)die. Say a 10 COn/ 10 LB. ye get the idea?
Now if it was per hit/ stamina die. well, the Lb goes up!
Mr Troll then has a 22 LB/ 22 CON.
Mr Lizard has a 14 LB/ 14 Con.

Note, one of the more powerful Psionic creatures, the illithid/ Mindflayer is 8+4 hd., and is AC 15 (old AC 5). Its what they can do to you psi-wise that makes em fearsome. They do resemble the Drakh of B-5 somewhat...Hmmm. ideas!!!

I dissagree that the monsters won't fit into traveller. If you read through the 3rd edition Monster Manual you'll see some in-depth descriptions. Not all the monsters have magic, and even some of the special powers are accepted in T20 creature creation.

And, to be honest, Psionics is just as magic as magic. I mean, what's the difference between teleporting yourself and sending an exploding ball of fire down-range?

I think that nearly all (if not 100% all) of D&D magic spells can be described in a psionic manner.

The only thing I have a personal issue with is the undead. But then, there is complete precedence for that in many, many sci-fi stories.

I also think that a good number of D&D monsters are excellently suited as aliens in Traveller, and have used them as such. I mean, they're more realistic than the 4-armed guy......

posted February 22, 2003 10:19
Liam Devlin
A troll, 6+6 hd. (Thats a plus 1 per hd, or at least a 12 LB/ 12 CON (+1). Now fer unusual criters, say 4+2 hd, Giant Lizard, thats 1pt per two hit (stamina)die. Say a 10 COn/ 10 LB. ye get the idea?
Now if it was per hit/ stamina die. well, the Lb goes up!
Mr Troll then has a 22 LB/ 22 CON.
Mr Lizard has a 14 LB/ 14 Con.

Note, one of the more powerful Psionic creatures, the illithid/ Mindflayer is 8+4 hd., and is AC 15 (old AC 5). Its what they can do to you psi-wise that makes em fearsome. They do resemble the Drakh of B-5 somewhat...Hmmm. ideas!!!
Thank you Liam Devlin, that expained something I was missed.Your example makes it a lot easier to convert now.

I am wondering though if damage reduction should be divided by 3 as the Ar is done and add it to the AR. The like damage Reduction a instead of silver bypasses it. it could be Electricity, steel(sword), laser etc. Otherwise if the object is not avaible all the dies are reduced or lost until the weapon or equalivent is used. HUMMMM! Something to think about.

Regards

Izzy

Issue #3 of Gaming Frontiers (a roughly quarterly publication that tends to pull in "extras" from various publishers) has an article on re-interpreting some of the classic D&D monsters as "aliens", generally by ignoring the original artwork and coming up with another appearance for the stats. The Mind Flayer in the article was a large starfish-oid, not humanoid at all...

The article does serve as concept for T20 adaptrion of the entire MM (give or take a few), however. It's a big book of *critter statistics* to dip into at need. With the old Star Trek standby of a funny head-knob or an extra pair of eyes, the two appendices on Animals and Vermin are instantly useful with no justification required. The Dire Animals and Dinosaurs likewise.

As for some of the other, more interesting critters, it is occasionally a case of "returning home", as it were. The Mind Flayer is clearly Cthulhu-inspired, while the Displacer Beast started life as the Couerl, in the pages of classic SF by A.E. Van Vogt...

Originally posted by Izzy:
Thank you Liam Devlin, that explained something I was missed.Your example makes it a lot easier to convert now.
Yer welcome Izzy! Besides, be a shame fer me to toss away 22 years of AdN D material, when its there at hand to flesh out a critter fer T20!
I am wondering though if damage reduction should be divided by 3 as the Ar is done and add it to the AR. The like damage Reduction a instead of silver bypasses it. it could be Electricity, steel(sword), laser etc. Otherwise if the object is not avaible all the dies are reduced or lost until the weapon or equalivent is used. HUMMMM! Something to think about.Izzy
-------------------------------------------------
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me, Izzy. converting over laser/ energy to its equivalent in D & D, sounds like *force* (a wand of force always struck me (haha, pun!) as a magic lightsabre. Force magic = energy not covered by heat/ cold, like plasma/fusion weapons, or laser blade on the invulnerabilities.

Lots of the monsters make great Aliens... I'm using the Formians as an insectoid slave race led by Mind Flayers. And the Shocker Lizard is a great cave dweller for one adventure coming up.
I'm also trying to figure out some way to use undead, because there are a couple undead that would be really neat to use. I may just use them as straight aliens and not use the undead half.

The "undead" could be bodies and skeletons of dead creatures now being operated by little worms/slugs occupying parts of the body.

Example: Tinearvus (I'm mangling some Latin: Nerve Worm)
A worm-like creature that occupies the bodies and skeletons of dead creatures. The creature usually resides in the head of its dead host while it sends tendrils throughout the skeletal frame to operate the bones for movement. Red tipped pods envelope any soft tissues around openings in the head and use these openings for sensory input. The creature usually ingests its host over a period of time so it tends to move near other dead bodies to switch hosts when finished with their current home.

Well, definitely needs better fleshing out (ha!), but it could have a mild psionic ability that let's it cooperate with others of its kind (i.e., a skeletal horde), and can also be dominated by a strong psychic individual (i.e., "necromancer").
file_22.gif

Glen

Originally posted by Gaming Glen:
The "undead" could be bodies and skeletons of dead creatures now being operated by little worms/slugs occupying parts of the body.

Example: Tinearvus (I'm mangling some Latin: Nerve Worm)
A worm-like creature that occupies the bodies and skeletons of dead creatures. The creature usually resides in the head of its dead host while it sends tendrils throughout the skeletal frame to operate the bones for movement. Red tipped pods envelope any soft tissues around openings in the head and use these openings for sensory input. The creature usually ingests its host over a period of time so it tends to move near other dead bodies to switch hosts when finished with their current home.

Well, definitely needs better fleshing out (ha!), but it could have a mild psionic ability that let's it cooperate with others of its kind (i.e., a skeletal horde), and can also be dominated by a strong psychic individual (i.e., "necromancer").
file_22.gif

Glen
Nice little write up. I was going to suggest something similar, once I tracked down the short story I read many years ago. It was a similar idea, except for the psionic part, nice touch!

Don't forget the Thri-Kreen, they look like bug-eyed monsters and might even be the space faring king. I'm not crazy about vampires though. They don't make any sense in a relatively hard science fiction setting. A creature that suck blood and is not really alive? There are just too many sources of blood besides intelligent humans or other creatures that might be player characters. Also alien blood might be poisonous. Most alien creatures that attack humans for food just don't know any better, they would attack and kill the humans and then poison themselves when they consume the meat. I think aliens that have a paracitic relationship with humans of one that consumes humans for food is just unlikely. The exception being the bioengineered creations of the ancients.

Originally posted by Tom Kalbfus:
Don't forget the Thri-Kreen, they look like bug-eyed monsters and might even be the space
:D Too bad the latest SRD revision took them out as being too close to IP (Forgotten Realms specific? dunno) Still in the books though no idea on 3.5 changes.
faring king. I'm not crazy about vampires though. They don't make any sense in a relatively hard science fiction setting. A creature that suck blood and is not really alive? There are just too many sources of blood besides intelligent humans or other creatures that might be player characters. Also alien blood might be poisonous. Most alien creatures that attack humans for food just don't know any better, they would attack and kill the humans and then poison themselves when they consume the meat. I think aliens that have a paracitic relationship with humans of one that consumes humans for food is just unlikely. The exception being the bioengineered creations of the ancients.
Or the old diseased human theory. Getting a bit worn though. The vamp would still likely just prey on its species unless the disease handwaves some sort of immunity or keeps a basically dead lifeform barely "alive". (ala the Resident Evil movie)

And an intelligent creature doesn't have to drain the blood, etc. directly into itself. (I think there was a Farscape episode similar to this) Not quite as dramatic though. "Vait, I need to go process vour blood." <creek creek creek>

Hum, how about a two step symbiosis, a more compatable "strainer" creature first takes in the blood and processes it, and then the "master" creature drains from tha strainer.

The strainer could even be a (bio) mechanical ala the cybermat in Dr. Who.

Casey
Clark Ashton Smith* otaku
toast.gif

* known for his protagonists not surviving the end of the story

Vampires are also just a tad bit too Victorian. I think the Traveller setting would do alot of space burials. A barely dead creature with vampirism would soon find itself floating in space with its internal fluids boiling away. Also it would be very hard to fool an attending doctor that a barely dead person is actually dead. Especially at TL15. Alternatives are Nanotech infected humans. Humans with robot brains. Vampire-like creatures need something that only intelligent creatures can provide. Perhaps a Psionic vamipire can invade other people's minds and forcibley network them to his own and thus double his intelligence in the process.

Back