• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Differences between Classic Traveller 1st ed., 2nd. ed., and The Traveller Book

Does a variorum exist comparing the '77, '81, and '82 versions the core contents, Books 1-3, of Classic Traveller? Otherwise, I am considering starting a writing project noting the differences across the different texts.

Does a variorum exist comparing the '77, '81, and '82 versions the core contents, Books 1-3, of Classic Traveller? Otherwise, I am considering starting a writing project noting the differences across the different texts.

At Drive Thru RPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...ules-Special-Supplement?filters=10134_0_0_0_0

Also, someone on this forum did a nice side-by side comparison document of Books 1-3 thru the various editions, but I do not remember who (I want to say Creativehum or Frankymole, but I do not quite remember for sure).
EDIT: CORRECTION - The document is by ffilz - Section-by-section comparison:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jsH-EgKvaR0mdbtJMj_Xj7X3TcYyZTqQGf-Gwu58PX0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Lost_Rules_of_Traveller

There ahs been a fair amount of study of this and it has been a regular topic of interest on the Traveller Mailing List (TML).

But, there is always room for more.

Shalom,
M.

As a side note, I found some differences concerning the ACQUIRED SKILLS TABLES, which haven't been added to ffilz's document, yet.

BOOK 1 (1977 edition), BOOK 1 (1981 edition), THE TRAVELLER BOOK (1982), and STARTER TRAVELLER (1983), all say "He goes on a physical fitness Kick [Table 1, roll 3= +1 endurance] and learns to better defend himself [Table 2, roll 4= gun combat] using the small body pistol.", during his second term of service.

BOOK 1 (1977 edition), BOOK 1 (1981 edition), THE TRAVELLER BOOK (1982), and STARTER TRAVELLER (1983), all say "He trains himself in the martial arts [Table 1, roll 5= blade combat], choosing the cutlass and [Table 2, roll 4= gun combat] the submachinegun.", during his Fourth term of service.

Check this out:

ACQUIRED SKILLS TABLES comparing BOOK 1 (1977 edition) and BOOK 1 (1981 edition):
Personal Development Table
_77 Navy81 Navy77 Marines81 Marines77 Army81 Army77 Scouts81 Scouts77 Merchant81 Merchant77 Other81 Other
1+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren+1 Stren
2+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext+1 Dext
3+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur+1 Endur
4+1 Social+1 IntelGamblingGamblingGamblingGamblingGun Cbt+1 Intel+1 Stren+1 StrenBlade CbtBlade Cbt
5+1 Intel+1 EducBrawlingBrawlingBrawling+1 Educ+1 Intel+1 EducBlade CbtBlade CbtBrawlingBrawling
6+1 Educ+1 SocialBlade CbtBlade Cbt+1 EducBrawling+1 EducGun CbtBriberyBribery-1 Social-1 Social
Service Skills Table
_77 Navy81 Navy77 Marines81 Marines77 Army81 Army77 Scouts81 Scouts77 Merchant81 Merchant77 Other81 Other
1Ship's BoatShip's BoatATVVehicleATVVehicleAir/RaftVehicleStewardVehicleForgeryVehicle
2Vacc SuitVacc SuitVacc SuitVacc SuitAir/RaftAir/RaftVacc SuitVacc SuitVacc SuitVacc SuitGamblingGambling
3Fwd ObsvFwd ObsvrBlade CbtBlade CbtFwd ObsvGun CbtNavigationMechanical+1 StrenJack-o-TBrawlingBrawling
4Blade CbtGunneryBlade CbtGun CbtBlade CbtFwd ObsvrMechanicalNavigationGun CbtStewardBlade CbtBribery
5Gun CbtBlade CbtGun CbtBlade CbtGun CbtBlade CbtElectronicElectronicsElectronicElectronicsGun CbtBlade Cbt
6GunneryGun CbtGun CbtGun CbtGun CbtGun CbtJack-o-TJack-o-TJack-o-TGun CbtBriberyGun Cbt

The ACQUIRED SKILLS TABLES for THE TRAVELLER BOOK and STARTER TRAVELLER are the same as in BOOK 1 (1981 edition), except for table 2, line one, and is shown below:

Services Skills Table
_NavyMarinesArmyScoutsMerchantOther
1Ship's BoatATVATVAir/RaftVehicleVehicle

*Note: Errata indicates incidents of "ATV" and "Air/Raft" should be "Vehicle" in the above tables.

Captain A. L. Jamison learned his lesson about "Steward" and skipped class for more useful training, starting in 1981!

I guess the thing to do is to change the rolls from "4" to "6", for 1981 and later.

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Thank you

Hi All, thanks for recommending especially the Lost Rules Supplement. I will also explore the TML. I think the LRS is extremely helpful. Assuming copyright is not an issue, I would like to write out the differences line-by-line so the three versions are reconciled (or not). The reason is although some who have actually read the rules see and know the difference. Yet I see in other places mention of CT without saying which version (for some reason). Writing a Variorum would be some work but doable and even fun. Thanks again for the support.

Addendum

Thanks also for recommending ffilz's comparison in Google Doc. This combined with the Lost Rules helps a great deal. And from what it sounds there's room to get clearer in documenting the evolution of the rules

As a side note, I found some differences concerning the ACQUIRED SKILLS TABLES, which haven't been added to ffilz's document, yet.
I do actually have the skill changes noted:

Marines and Army - Vehicle instead of ATV
Scouts Vehicle instead of Air/Raft
(Note, Army still has explicit Air/Raft)
Merchant Vehicle instead of +1 Stren on Service Skills
Other Vehicle instead of Forgery on Service Skills
Also some re-ordering of skills
I didn't note that the description of Jamison's service is wrong...

Back