• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why Were There Not Multiple Settings for Classic Traveller?

It's also worth noting that no one particularly saw a need for actual licenses EXCEPT GDW. Frank, Loren, and Marc had a pretty damned advanced idea in that they not only developed a game world, but, from about late 1978 to 1984, there was about one new Approved for Traveller product per 15 days or so.

They were and are successful businessmen. Also, as we both note, they were extremely busy with all their lines. Subcontracting out some of the work makes good sense.

That being said, all those Approved for Traveller products were for the official setting. Early on, they might have been OTU-ish as GDW hadn't firmed up the setting but, as the years rolled on, they became more and more OTU-centric.

Traveller was a fairly unique beast. it was the biggest name that actually wanted others to do stuff in their playground. They had WAY too much going on to do anything else. Their friends picked up their slack - Bill and Andrew, the FASA guys (Lorne, Jordan, Guy, et al.); going further abroad, the Seeker guys, DGP, Games Workshop, and a dozen fanzines....

Plenty of "subcontractors" but still only the one setting. Odd, no?

While TSR wasn't open to the idea of licensees, they did buy settings like Greenwood's Forgotten Realms and bring them in house.

I find it hard to believe that not one of GDW's various prospective or established licensees didn't once start a pitch by saying "I'd like to use Traveller's rules to create this...".

While TSR wasn't open to the idea of licensees, they did buy settings like Greenwood's Forgotten Realms and bring them in house.

I find it hard to believe that not one of GDW's various prospective or established licensees didn't once start a pitch by saying "I'd like to use Traveller's rules to create this...".

It makes sense to me. If you're material is compatible with the bulk of what GDW is doing then you get to ride their coat tails. As I understand it interest in the OTU exploded once GDW started putting it out there so why not let that work for you?

not at all. it's the only setting that fit the lbb1-3 implied setting to any degree. it's the only setting that _could_ fit the lbb1-3 implied setting to any degree.

In retrospect I would have preferred Dumarest sourcebooks, Dune sourcebooks, Foundation sourcebooks, Chanur sourcebooks, etc. each with their own modified rules to handle those adventure biomes.

The biggest problem for the Prototraveller setting is the lack of military hardware.

Yep, gotta be able to shoot and zip around, or have Very Big Reasons Not To.

So I find myself sticking with LBB1-3/S4 characters (modified), the Big Guns of B4/B5, and stripping out the Imperium in it's entirety, lock stock and canon.

Can be done, you just have to be willing to own your setting.

Which heavens, a subsector can be genned fast and keep you busy for a year at least.

In retrospect I would have preferred Dumarest sourcebooks, Dune sourcebooks, Foundation sourcebooks, Chanur sourcebooks, etc. each with their own modified rules to handle those adventure biomes.
That would have been a licencing nightmare for GDW.
The similarity between the Hani and the Aslan and Kif and Vargr are already pretty close to make you wonder...
I also have to wonder who didn't use Traveller back in the day to run Dune or Dumarest based games?

Can be done, you just have to be willing to own your setting. Which heavens, a subsector can be genned fast and keep you busy for a year at least.
Which is exactly what the game was originally designed to do, and do well.

kinda like selling a bag of flour as cake mix. "some assembly required" ....

kinda like selling a bag of flour as cake mix. "some assembly required" ....

Funny thing you should say that, there was a competitor to Bisquick called Jenny Wren that had the same idea re: mixes but lost out due to neglecting to add shortening to the product.

http://foodcompanycookbooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/jenny-wren-flour.html

I have no objection to those who want a 'baking mix' or even store-bought 'adventure bread'.

I do object when the setting is baked in so far to rules that one cannot 'homebake'.

That would have been a licencing nightmare for GDW.
The similarity between the Hani and the Aslan and Kif and Vargr are already pretty close to make you wonder...
I also have to wonder who didn't use Traveller back in the day to run Dune or Dumarest based games?

Perhaps.

SPI certainly did themselves in with the Dallas debacle.

Or, it may have made the whole thing more palatable and/or cachet with even modern audiences.

Also, highlighting the flexibility of the system and not having to make the core rules bend to either the OTU or 'do everything for everybody', perhaps even 'give permission' to change rules to suit, certainly a template for doing so.

GDW owning their own IP and licensing certainly simplifies matters and legal overhead compared to dealing with modern media corps.

I do object when the setting is baked in so far to rules that one cannot 'homebake'.

surely rules can be tailored to a setting to make it more playable? for example while gurps has its following it seems to have been less than successful in its intended purpose of universalizing gameplay. the goal may have been reachable in terms of frpg's, but a game intended to span the entire physical universe and all its aliens and alien technology past present and future seems a bridge too far for it.

Despite the similar "D&D can be used for anything" trope, it didn't have any more real diversity than Traveller does. Where's the "Wild West" with D&D rules? Where's the 1950's Milwaukee Noir Urban Fantasy campaign with D&D rules? With D20, much of those splinters rose up. With GURPs those kinds of things rose up. Settings without mechanics. But pre-D20? With D&D? No.

My copy of the Dungeon Master Guide for AD&D has rules and data for the Wild West for those who wanted to mix genres a bit. And then there was that memorable Sturmgeschutz and Sorcery game. In the mid-1980s, when GenCon was at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, there were some quite creative mixtures of D&D and AD&D with other games. My set of Little Tan Books, dating from circa 1977, with all supplements, includes encounter tables for Mars/Barsoom, as in John Carter of Mars, while Blackmoor has the Temple of the Frog adventure with an alien running the Temple with an emergency set of Battle Armor available.

I had a lot of fun with my players mixing the monsters of the various editions of the game. One player who ran a cleric freaked out the first time the group ran into Bone Golems. Just missed removing his head with one. It did keep them on their toes though, as they could no longer assume that they knew what was coming at them.

The last sentence sums up the problem. The guys in the Sturmgeschutz game had no idea that they were entering the D&D universe, while the D&D guys were WW2 Miniature players as well, and had no problems adapting. When you put players used to one milieu into another one that looks the same but works a bit differently, they can get a tad upset. Once adventures started coming out, clarifying what was meant by the "Imperium", and filling in more and more of the blanks, then players used to that type of game are going to be more and more reluctant to in effect "jump ship" for another different universe. If someone told me that the next gaming session was going to be in the Zhodani area, or the Aslan or Vargr areas, I would pass immediately.

I am setting up a sector were personal energy weapons do not exist, and civilians do not have Battle Armor, or anything better than Cloth (note, Cloth with my house rules), with small ships (5,000 or 10,000 Traveller dTon limit), and very limited psionics. That is not going to appeal to a wide range of players, as it is quite different from what the Official Traveller Universe, in all of its various permutations, is.

The key to the wider options for differing milieu is the ability to sell downloadable books online. If you wanted to publish a differing setting for Traveller in the early 1980s, you were looking at hard copy printing, which did represent considerable up front costs. Now, with the Internet you can avoid the up front costs of printing, and for the hard copy people, you have the Print-On-Demand option. That changes the cost equation drastically, and makes something like Attack Squadron: Roswell, by Zozer Games, a viable alternative setting for Mongoose Traveller players. (I liked the scenario so much, I bought Mongoose Traveller to use it.)

My copy of the Dungeon Master Guide for AD&D has rules and data for the Wild West for those who wanted to mix genres a bit. And then there was that memorable Sturmgeschutz and Sorcery game. In the mid-1980s, when GenCon was at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, there were some quite creative mixtures of D&D and AD&D with other games. My set of Little Tan Books, dating from circa 1977, with all supplements, includes encounter tables for Mars/Barsoom, as in John Carter of Mars, while Blackmoor has the Temple of the Frog adventure with an alien running the Temple with an emergency set of Battle Armor available.

Those were the crossover rules for mixing AD&D and Boot Hill, another TSR product. That same edition of the DMG also had rules for mixing Gamma World/Metamorphosis Alpha, also TSR products, with D&D.

Seriously, the 1st edition AD&D DMG is one of the often underrated publications in the history of the RPG hobby.

On another note, anyone ever do a homebrew Traveller/AD&D conversion? (I know about Thieves' World; I'm not sure if that would work as a conversion or not.)

On another note, anyone ever do a homebrew Traveller/AD&D conversion? (I know about Thieves' World; I'm not sure if that would work as a conversion or not.)

I do know that a GM had his Traveller players end up on a world of Carcosa, the horror/fantasy world of Lamentations of the Flame Princess (which is a reworked Basic D&D.)

Yes, but it was probably 30 years ago now so the details escape me.

D.

Those were the crossover rules for mixing AD&D and Boot Hill, another TSR product. That same edition of the DMG also had rules for mixing Gamma World/Metamorphosis Alpha, also TSR products, with D&D.

Seriously, the 1st edition AD&D DMG is one of the often underrated publications in the history of the RPG hobby.

As I did not have a copy (I have at least 2) in front of me, I forgot about the Gamma World/Matamorphosis Alpha cross-overs. I did fool around with the Boot Hill data, but a player with Dwarves started working on gunpowder weaponry with great enthusiasm, so I dropped the idea. That DM Guide has a ton of ideas in it. And like an idiot, I never had Gary autograph the book. Now a bit too late. I do have the original Gamma World game and also Metamorphosis Alpha. The latter would make for a great Traveller setting as well.

Moved some D&Ders to our world without much notice.

Last we left it they ran a raid on an IBM office.

Those sword boys sure do like their muscle cars.

Going the other way, we have the recent 'Gate' series where Japan counterinvades a fantasy world through a gate and it's modern tanks and fighters vs. dragons and swordsman, and a Japanese ranger gets things done since he's an otaku off-duty and naturally works well in this environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67RpQFOjchw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsK6lwr3tc

Yes.

On my site:
==> Tavonni Repair Bays
==> House Rules
==> Traveller as AD&D

Also under House Rules, see:
==> Weightings for Trav AD&D Weapons

Yes.

On my site:
==> Tavonni Repair Bays
==> House Rules
==> Traveller as AD&D

Also under House Rules, see:
==> Weightings for Trav AD&D Weapons

Very reminiscent of the Boot Hill and Gamma World/Metamorphosis Alpha conversions. The "2D TO 3D TABLE" for statistic conversions doesn't show, though.

Overall, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Back