• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Early Jump Drive designs.

far-trader

SOC-14 10K
Originally posted by T. Foster:
<snip> ...the fuel depot halway between Terra and Barnard's Star (as mentioned by far-trader) is canonical from CT AM6 (Solomani). It's also in GT: Rim of Fire, which adds an additional twist by saying the earliest Solomani j-drives consumed double the standard amount of fuel. This was explained by the designer (Jon F. Zeigler) as a way of justifying that canonical deep-space fuel depot rather than just building ships with extra fuel capacity (fuel for 2 jump-1s there and 2 jump-1s back would normally be 40% of the ship's volume, which is very doable, but 80% isn't so doable...).
Very interesting, and it twigged a memory of seeing a discussion or publication explaining a similar fix. As I recall it the early Terran Jump drive was described as actually more like a Micro-Jump drive. It used the same amount of fuel as a J1 and required the same size but only covered about half the distance, as per the CT rules for micro-jumps (anything less than a full parsec). So the Terran's had to set up a few fuel caches before actually making the trip. Does anybody else remember that?

I recall reading that the original Earth J drive was developed for in system jumps from Earth to Jupiter. Theoretically, the initial designers would not have even realized they had figured out a way to exceed the speed of light, as a 7 day trip to Jupiter would be much slower than the time it would take light to travel the same distance. Pushing the light speed limit might have been a long and slow process resulting in multiple short jumps beyond the Solar System building a series of fuel stations as the designers kept pushing the limits of the technology at the time.

Just my thoughts,

Rob

Yes Ranger that's ringing some of the same bells, but I still haven't nailed down the source :rolleyes:

I think I also recall an early misjump enroute to Jupiter that had the ship come out around Pluto and the crew limping back in system. Could be wrong about that though.

I do like the idea (yours it seems) of a graduated series of early jump tests. That works too.

Back