• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Electronics and Traveller

First define what you mean by polarity...

it can have a lot of different (scientific) meanings.

I'll add to what Aramis said by pointing out that a neutron and an antineutron have opposite magnetic moments.

So perhaps what the Doctor was doing all the time was converting neutrons to antineutrons and vise versa.

First define what you mean by polarity...

(blink) haven't a clue. I know what magnetic polarity is and does, and I know what elecric polarity is and does, but have no idea what "baryonic polarity" is or does or implies. I was taught that neutrons have no charge and don't interact with other matter unless they physically hit something, so whatever "baryonic polarity" is it doesn't seem to mean much.

(blink) haven't a clue. I know what magnetic polarity is and does, and I know what elecric polarity is and does, but have no idea what "baryonic polarity" is or does or implies. I was taught that neutrons have no charge and don't interact with other matter unless they physically hit something, so whatever "baryonic polarity" is it doesn't seem to mean much.

Watch the YouTube video linked earlier.

Apparently Jon Pertwee used to set his lines to Gilbert and Sullivan in order to remember the techno babble. Imagining 'Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow' set to a comic opera arrangement will be impossible to erase from your mind.

Interesting. I didn't remember that. In Ghost in the Shell anime episodes, they call doing that 'an external memory device'. Or an old watch, or a display in a museum, etc. that reminds them of something they desire to keep track of.

Component level repair has become rare and arguably we're around TL8 or so.

SO at TL11+ I'd expect there to be a diagnostic/repair AI helping the engineer diagnose what box to replace with a spare. And the component level repair will likely have built in AI diagnostics making most repairs possible, whether at a ship or starport I think is up to the GM on how it's done.

Given how design, test and repair has had some computer aided engineering and repair, I just extrapolate to higher tech levels?

Just my 2 cents.

As long as it isn't like some of the managers I have worked for I can see that as being very useful.

And as long as its not like HAL 9000.

Last edited:
One argument for bulky electronics on starships is simply bureaucratic arrogance. That is, the bureaucracy has mandated all sorts of "safety" and "reliability" standards that must be met for a ship to be certified for sale from the manufacturer. Since the Imperium is the largest customer base, everybody builds to those standards so their ships can operate in Imperial space and be bought and sold there.
This would be no different from aircraft or automobile manufacturing today. So, as part of this the requirement(s) for electronics is they have to use bulky, otherwise completely obsolete components that are 'bulletproof." So, instead of say transistors, resistors, and capacitors the size of fine grains of sand these components are something akin to those used back in the 1960's or 70's that have been "improved."
They've been tested for decades and found to be reliable for say a century or more. For the bureaucracy to approve some new component for use takes several decades of testing, and then several more of limited service use to "prove" their reliability.
Thus, hidebound, officious, and plodding bureaucrats of the Vogon-type have held many areas of starship design well behind the technology curve out of extreme conservatism.

Interesting. I didn't remember that. In Ghost in the Shell anime episodes, they call doing that 'an external memory device'. Or an old watch, or a display in a museum, etc. that reminds them of something they desire to keep track of.
I don't think he did it out loud, but rather as an aide memoire. Apparently they also used to put notes with their lines on strategic bits of the set that were facing away from the camera.

One argument for bulky electronics on starships is simply bureaucratic arrogance. That is, the bureaucracy has mandated all sorts of "safety" and "reliability" standards that must be met for a ship to be certified for sale from the manufacturer. Since the Imperium is the largest customer base, everybody builds to those standards so their ships can operate in Imperial space and be bought and sold there.
This would be no different from aircraft or automobile manufacturing today. So, as part of this the requirement(s) for electronics is they have to use bulky, otherwise completely obsolete components that are 'bulletproof." So, instead of say transistors, resistors, and capacitors the size of fine grains of sand these components are something akin to those used back in the 1960's or 70's that have been "improved."
They've been tested for decades and found to be reliable for say a century or more. For the bureaucracy to approve some new component for use takes several decades of testing, and then several more of limited service use to "prove" their reliability.
Thus, hidebound, officious, and plodding bureaucrats of the Vogon-type have held many areas of starship design well behind the technology curve out of extreme conservatism.

I think of it as more an FAA certification thing not just for ship types, but ANY ship for carrying passengers and just getting near planets altogether.

This gets outlined clearly IMTU with the conventional ships, rates and routes, and a second smuggler/illegals network of passenger and freight service between the Oort Clouds of the Solar System and Alpha Centauri.

Operates with mostly pirated ships, safety inspections almost unknown and dubious, 1/5 the 'official' rates, no insurance for anything, and a fair chance passengers and/or cargo won't arrive intact, one way or another.

I don't think he did it out loud, but rather as an aide memoire. Apparently they also used to put notes with their lines on strategic bits of the set that were facing away from the camera.

I was more talking about Motoko, in the Anime episodes, has a very old wind up watch. Due to circumstances she couldn't go get it, Batou got it and handed it to her. I think it had to do with her second shell transfer from one titanium body to another one. She wanted to remember that, and her early childhood.

He doesn't need them due to his cyberized body, but kept ordering weight training gear. The rest of the team heckles him about it.

Back