• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Exotic Cuisine

had frog legs not too long ago at a french restaurant.... okay, but not enough meat to be worth the effort.

have had ground bison (wasnt too exciting), and rabbit (the sausage served with it was too spicy to eat)

I guess what's exotic varies widely according where you are.

Frog legs is not exotic dish, but seen as a delicacy in Catalonia (though I personally don't like it). Rabit is quite a usual meat here too. It has a good protein aport with nearly no cholesterol. We cook it in may ways, from simply grilled to a kind of paella using rabit instead of shellfish...

Also snails are quite usual a dish here, though I've heard they are not eaten in US. This past weekend it was hold the Aplec del Cargol (roughtly transalted as meetig of the snail) in Lleida, that is quite a popular gastronomic meeting centered on it...

Also snails are quite usual a dish here, though I've heard they are not eaten in US. This past weekend it was hold the Aplec del Cargol (roughtly transalted as meetig of the snail) in Lleida, that is quite a popular gastronomic meeting centered on it...

Snails are eaten in certain local cuisines within the US, including cajun, and are available in areas bordering on Quebec....

They're also commonly served in "Haut Cuisine" and "French Cuisine" restaurants.

Another one for you:

Lutefisk: The most feared food in the Norwegian American kitchen, this preparation of dried whitefish soaked in lye is specifically noted as not a Toxic Substance in Wisconsin. The rest of the nation begs to differ. (This is a good one to get from the Swordies)
I love lutfisk, although I confess I am the only member of my family that does. Served in cream sauce, of course, because that's how we do it over here on the Swedish side of the St. Croix river.

The most feared food in the Swedish kitchen is one that I have not had the fortune to try yet -- the legendary surströmming, otherwise known as the food that is classified as a deadly explosive by airlines. I am game to try anything once, and I am pretty sure I would give surströmming a shot too, given the chance; I am also pretty sure, in all honesty, that I would need to get myself pretty drunk in order to eat it.

Fortunately, that's how it is traditionally eaten.

Another range of products would be cheeses. How many different varieties of cheese are there in many places on our world? I'm quite sure there will be varieties of cheese that will be come famous or infamous around the world.
Some hard cheeses (cheddar, etc.) will be all right in the Far Future, but remember that it's very likely that the vast majority of Humaniti out there will be lactose intolerant -- possibly even violently so. Absent any other domesticable Terran mammals in their ecosystem, most Minor/Major Human races (and Vargr) are not going to have any reason to develop the adult lactase enzyme variant currently spreading out through the Solomani gene pool.

I love lutfisk, although I confess I am the only member of my family that does.

Hi GKA,

You're not the only one. I also like Lutefisk and I adore pickled herring. I also like the Norwegian practice of scrambling eggs with salmon.

Fish is a taste that the people of many of the states don't have a strong liking for although many coastal areas like it well enough.

I imagine that Aramis up in Alaska likes it just fine.

Shalom,
M.

No, it doesn't taste just like chicken

Some of the restaurants right on the water will serve local species/dishes that I haven't seen anywhere else:

Red Roe Calamari: Large whole Female Squid with about a quarter pound of deep maroon eggs lightly boiled in a variety of broths/sauces depending on the cook. The roe is dense and breaks on your teeth like a medium hard cheese with a pungent fish flavor.

Thresher Shark: looks like a cross between a large slice of cod and beef steak. Typically marinated and char grilled. The taste depends on the diet (fish, seal, etc.) but it reminds me most of a pork chop in consistency and flavor.

Most Seaweed dishes are okay but the one my Chinese cohorts call "Hair" is pretty visually distracting. The plate looks like a large clump of black hair coated in an MSG heavy glaze. The few time I ate it were inconsistent so I don't know if it is supposed to crunch when you eat it or be slimy like over cooked okra.

The few times I have used food to showcase a culture I went with variations of our typical junk food:
<insert foreign name> looks like a dark brown donut, tastes like squirrel.
<insert short foreign word, like "FUN" in Vilani> looks like a Twinkie, tastes like kimchee and blood sausage.

And I re-skinned this real world encounter:

Mother and child sitting at a near-by table in the dinning hall, the young child looks stubborn and unconvinced by the mother's pleas.
{spoken with a soft Cajun accent.}
"Take a little bite of the chicken nugget...it tastes just like gator, Mon Cher!"

Some hard cheeses (cheddar, etc.) will be all right in the Far Future, but remember that it's very likely that the vast majority of Humaniti out there will be lactose intolerant -- possibly even violently so. Absent any other domesticable Terran mammals in their ecosystem, most Minor/Major Human races (and Vargr) are not going to have any reason to develop the adult lactase enzyme variant currently spreading out through the Solomani gene pool.

Good point, but there are many other molds that could infect a cheese in new systems. Many of the cheese varieties that we have are accidents from a mold in a cave.

Hivers, would enjoy rather pungent ones, IMHO, if they can digest them.

The most feared food in the Swedish kitchen is one that I have not had the fortune to try yet -- the legendary surströmming, otherwise known as the food that is classified as a deadly explosive by airlines. I am game to try anything once, and I am pretty sure I would give surströmming a shot too, given the chance; ...
It is recommended to eat it outdoors since the smell is very difficult to get rid of.

What is actually very good is Gravlax ("Buried salmon"), traditionally served with a sweet mustard sauce. It is prepared by burying the salmon filet covered in salt and herbs in chilly temperature.

In High School and college, people used to complain about my standard "supercheap lunch"... a can of smoked baby clams and a handful of pilot bread.

In High School and college, people used to complain about my standard "supercheap lunch"... a can of smoked baby clams and a handful of pilot bread.

Sounds a bit like mine at Quartermaster Officers School at Ft. Lee, Smoked clams as well, but Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter on the crackers instead of the pilot bread. I did not try pilot bread until reaching Alaska. Or if I felt more hungry and had enough time, a half-pound of hamburger browned and then a can of pork and beans added to it.

I had to avoid the pickled herring due to being in the BOQ. The odor was not appreciated.

I'll try just about anything - I'm a pretty adventurous eater, raised a kid who is as well. I remember taking him to a sushi bar when he was in his mid-teens and he asked for the Uni, he had the whole waitstaff and the chefs watching him as he ate and who broke into a applause when he finished his piece. He also ate his Sweet Shrimp with nary a complaint as well.

Regulars at the house include Kimchi, smoked oysters, herring in cream, and things like Scrapple would be if I could find an easy source.

A couple of years ago was out with friends at an little Ethiopian restaurant in DC, and watched one of the friends start to twitch because his girlfriend (now wife) was born and raised in Ethiopia before her family moved to Autralia and was quite happy to chat with the waitstaff and showed everyone how to eat the scraps at the end - roll it all in a ball and feed it to the person next to you. His OCD took a bad hit that day...

Personally I like to try new foods, gives me ideas on what to try at home re. both ingredients and flavor profiles.

D.

The only place I have found Scrapple as a menu item is at a restaurant in Pennsylvania. It think it was the Lancaster Host Resort, but not totally sure of that. I have a couple of recipes for it that I should give a try too. Corn meal mush is fine with some butter and maple syrup, otherwise a bit too bland.

I have tried snails, called "escargot" on a cruise ship, and decided that once was sufficient.

The only place I have found Scrapple as a menu item is at a restaurant in Pennsylvania. It think it was the Lancaster Host Resort, but not totally sure of that. I have a couple of recipes for it that I should give a try too.

Scrapple is common around the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania. I grew up there and I still can't stand the smell of it cooking, let alone the taste. :)

Last edited:
Smoked oysters, dark rye bread, and Jarlsberg cheese!

OK, not that "cheap" - especially once you add in the Guinness!

Here oysters use to be eaten raw, often even alive, just with a little lemon juice scrambled over them before eating.

Also percebes (a kind of barnacles) and sea urchin are appreciated, though I personaly don't like any seafood (except salt).

Hi GKA,

You're not the only one. I also like Lutefisk and I adore pickled herring. I also like the Norwegian practice of scrambling eggs with salmon.
I am a huge fan of pickled herring -- although I don't get that one all to myself at family gatherings, as my mother is also a fan.

Scrambled eggs with salmon sounds really good! I have no idea why it never occurred to me to try that before; I already like kippers and eggs, so it's hardly a stretch for my palate. I also recently tried kedgeree for the first time, and I am also a fan of that.

Fish is a taste that the people of many of the states don't have a strong liking for although many coastal areas like it well enough.
We're lake country, so few Upper Midwesterners have any real problem with eating fish. That, and the fact that so many of us come from Scandinavian backgrounds. Walleye is particularly prized. The folks up around Lake Superior even have a thing called a fish boil, which is alleged to have been a gift to us from our Nordic ancestors -- though I confess I cannot find any reference to anyone actually doing it in Scandinavia proper.

It is recommended to eat it outdoors since the smell is very difficult to get rid of.
I have read all the precautions! Including the story about some poor, feckless fellow who had to flee his house in horror after foolishly opening a can of it on his kitchen table, and then returned to discover that his kitchen had been turned into a house of worship by the local housefly population in the intervening minutes.

What is actually very good is Gravlax ("Buried salmon"), traditionally served with a sweet mustard sauce. It is prepared by burying the salmon filet covered in salt and herbs in chilly temperature.
That sounds good too -- although I confess that I always thought that I'd heard of gravlax, but always thought it was something you'd find in a kosher deli.

I am a huge fan of pickled herring -- although I don't get that one all to myself at family gatherings, as my mother is also a fan.

Scrambled eggs with salmon sounds really good! I have no idea why it never occurred to me to try that before; I already like kippers and eggs, so it's hardly a stretch for my palate. I also recently tried kedgeree for the first time, and I am also a fan of that.

I was introduced to kedgeree at a B and B in England, and highly recommend it. I like sardines in light oil too, however, my wife is not a fan, but the cats are absolutely ecstatic when I open a can.

We're lake country, so few Upper Midwesterners have any real problem with eating fish. That, and the fact that so many of us come from Scandinavian backgrounds. Walleye is particularly prized. The folks up around Lake Superior even have a thing called fish boil, which is alleged to have been a gift to us from our Nordic ancestors -- though I confess I cannot find any reference to anyone actually doing it in Scandinavia proper.

My wife loves Door County, Wisconsin fish boils, but I have yet to enjoy one. The church ladies retreat gets the fish boil, the men's retreat gets steak on the grill. I keep voting for the fish boil. I can find references to it around the time of the Civil War, but it looks more like it comes from some transplanted New Englanders pining for a lobster boil. Anyone from around the Great Lakes is going to be exposed to lots of fish, with walleye and whitefish being my favorite.

I do keep thinking that a sea lamprey fishery in the Lakes with exports to the UK would be a good idea. The lamprey is eaten in England.

As is SPAM!!!!!! Time for another pot of SPAM chili.

Interesting/"weird" stuff I ate so far:

- Squid and calamari. On numerous occasions. The bigger ones are expensive in Israel as they are not kosher and thus less common, the smaller ones (frozen) you can buy for cheap as at Russian delis.

- P'tcha. My grandma used to make it. Didn't likr it much.

- Cholent. I make it 3-5 times a winter. Very tasty, very heavy in the stomach. An old Jewish saying is that the proof for the resurrection of the dead in the End of Days is that you manage wake up from your afternoon nap after eating Cholent on Shabbat... :-D

- Injera with various Ethiopian stews and salads on it. Very common in southern Tel-Aviv, and quite cheap. I love it and eat it a lot. Oh, and the stews are quite spicy, sometimes VERY spicy.

- Home-grown snails. My previous spouse used to raise them. Raising them is easy, preparing them for cooking is quite difficult as you have to get rid of the mucus. Quite tasty.

- Canned silkworm pupae. A friend of mine returned from student exchange in South Korea and brought me a can of those. Quite tasty, in fact.

- Frog legs. Ate them in France. The dish cost me 90 francs (about $20 at the time), very little meat. Not worth the price.

- Fish eggs, both caviar and otherwise - especially Ikra.

- Kimchi. My above-mentioned friend who returned from South Korea makes this at home. Spicy. I like this.

- Malva. You pick the leafs in the field, wash them - and then you can make "cutlets" out of them.

- Ocra. Quite common here in the Middle East.

- Durian, Passionfruit, Jackfruit and Sweetsop. Didn't like the Durian and the Sweetsop, but did like the Passionfruit and Jackfruit.

- Bovine inner parts - spleen, tongue, and liver. Very tasty, IMHO. Quite common in Israel.

- Chicken gizzard, hearts, and livers. Very tasty, IMHO. Gizzards are dirt-cheap in Israel.

- Jerusalem Mixed Grill. I *love* this.

- Sabich. I also love this.

- Sudanese eggplant in peanut butter. Very tasty.

- Maqluba. Another favourite dish of mine.

- Kreplach (East-European Jewish dumplings). My grandma used to make these delicious dumplings.

- Chopped Liver. VERY tasty, IMHO.

- Matza Balls and Matza Brei - traditional Passover food.

Back