• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Favorite Nation of 2300?

Originally posted by redroach:
Texas, of course I LIVE there and taught Texas History for six years, but you get the picture.

(ever need help fleshing out TX let me know)

TV
bwah-ha-ha!!! another texan in the ranks.
for you foreigners out there: it's true, texan children are taught texas history before american.

My Fave nation is the land of OZ, and not just bacause I'm an Aussie.

secound prefrance is non-cannon and kind of a Non-Nation, the SWC (South West Coalition) a counter mexican political movment operating in what they call "Occupied US Territory". Made up of mostly middle class Whites, Blacks and Asians sick of an inordinately high tax burden and the inability to advance socially or economically due to racial persuade. Many go to the US or Texas for higher education and once their secretly change citizenship and undergo militia training, before returning home to work, the group is largely non valiant the only major action was an abortive partisan uprising under the guise of the South Western Militia during the Texan rebellion of 2099. The goal of the SWC is “to gain a peaceful separation from Mexico (or by force of arms in necessary) so they can rejoin the US or Texas and live as free men and women not constrained by our ethnic backgrounds”. The SWC is largely self funding but has a number of backers (financial and otherwise) in doth The States and Texas including both governments. The group lacks the numbers, training, coordination and equipment to stage a successful uprising and they know it so they focus of keeping the dream of freedom alive and wait for an opportunity to act. Although the past few years (between the years of 2300-2303) their has bean a rise in action taken against overly corrupt and oppressive officials calling it’s self the South West Coalition Militia including gangland style executions and fire bombings of homes offices and a few car bombings of government political rallies for good measures.

Originally posted by ElHombre:
for you foreigners out there: it's true, texan children are taught texas history before american.
Do they ever get taught any *other* history?

Yes, I know Texas is as big as an entire world, but there *is* a world outside, and all of it is not (suprise surprise!) covered by 'american history'....

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redroach:
Texas, of course I LIVE there and taught Texas History for six years, but you get the picture.

(ever need help fleshing out TX let me know)

TV
bwah-ha-ha!!! another texan in the ranks.
</font>[/QUOTE]LOL, and yet another one here!!! Although I wasn't born here, my son was so they gotta keep me... ;)

[/QUOTE]Do they ever get taught any *other* history?

Yes, I know Texas is as big as an entire world, but there *is* a world outside, and all of it is not (suprise surprise!) covered by 'american history'.... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Really? You jest surely?
file_21.gif
Just pulling your leg there, having a degree in medieval history as I do and a wife from Korea, I've
heard of the rest of the planet......Honest. Texans are not as one dimensional as our press would have you believe..... ;)

Are you really telling me that in 2300 there is any nation brighter, more advanced, better, stronger, more desirable than my beloved Germany? :))

I doubt that! ;)

So it's my homeland. What else

Michael

Originally posted by Vargas:
Probably Texas but that was largely due to the effect of the Ranger adventure book.
The same here for the same reason but,closely followed by Ukraine.....Perhaps because of the similarity of their native terrain or the fact that both are so misunderstood ......Really it's because of Admiral Sergei Sergeivich Borodin from the Invasion source book.....The man had balls the size of Texas...... ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do they ever get taught any *other* history?
Yes, I know Texas is as big as an entire world, but there *is* a world outside, and all of it is not (suprise surprise!) covered by 'american history'....
=================================================
I lived in Texas for 7 long years. The natives are not taught about the outside world and the local "history" they are taught is myth and legend. Charming and naive and mostly harmless until they leave the state and face the outside world. Then things get really ugly.

yes, and they remember it about as much as other americans.
try asking the person in the US street when the war of 1812 started and you'll always get a blank stare.

ask a texan about the alamo, and you'll get an earfull. :D

"they remember it about as much as other americans. try asking the person in the US street when the war of 1812 started and you'll always get a blank stare."

I'd guess in the year 1812. But that's just a guess. Ask them when it ended...before or after the battle of New Orleans.

"ask a texan about the alamo, and you'll get an earfull."

Yes and to listen you would be led to believe that the Alamo was a great Texan [or "Texican" for you purists] victory. Despite the fall of the Alamo, the death of all the defenders, and the commanding officer being a politician/lawyer with no military training and exp.

My years spent in Texas were all in San Antonio so I know the layout of the Alamo and surrounding environs quite well. One quick look will tell you that deciding to hold the Alamo was a terrible idea. The Woolworth's across the street was higher ground and ideal for General Santa Claus to place his riflemen and artillery.

"Yes and to listen you would be led to believe that the Alamo was a great Texan [or "Texican" for you purists] victory."

ahem, the term is 'texian'. and, no, it's not considered a military victory. it's considered men dying for what they believed in. a moral victory. (yes, the details are messy ;) )

senor, if you wish, i can debate the details of texas history until everyone around here is sick of the both of us.

"ahem, the term is 'texian'."

Obviously I'm not a purist.

"and, no, it's not considered a military victory."

It would be difficult to interpret it that way.

"it's considered men dying for what they believed in. a moral victory. (yes, the details are messy)"

Yes I have heard that one also. It still seems a murky moral victory though. Esp. if the dying was ultimately unnecessary.

Perhaps to paraphrase General Patton as paraphrased by Geroge C. Scott -- no dumb bastard ever won a war dying for his country. He won it [dramatic pause] by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

"senor, if you wish, i can debate the details of texas history until everyone around here is sick of the both of us."

No need to do that. I think that everyone else is bored into a stupor. You probably know more about Texas history generally than I do. I admire the burning desire to collect trivia as much as the next poor bastard.

Originally posted by secretagent:
But on a serious note --

I really miss the Tex-Mex food of San Antonio.
It's pretty good here in the Killeen area too
but the Korean food is better...... ;)

for good tex-mex, try some of the 'los lupes' places in the southern dallas area next time you visit. they've been around since the 20's.

My favorite nation in 2300AD would have to be America-- if for no other reason than it's my homeland.

Funnily enough, I find the idea of the French Empire appealing. It must be because of the tacit assumption in so many other SF games and stories that the US will be the premiere world power ad infinitum. I found the change refreshing really, even if the cultural, liguistic and economic domination is still as prevalent as in a US dominated setting.

As far as second stringers go, it's nice to see Mexico reclaiming some international prestige after the Great Texan Land Grab, and any mention of Australia as a spacefaring power is calculated to make me proud.

It's not that I'm against American culture or prestige, I simply find it tiring to view US dominated settings again and again. It strikes me as smug and a bit arrogant to assume that everyone will agree that the US should and will remain the world's premier nation forever.

Back