• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fight or flight

san*klass

SOC-12
On Pg47 of The Traveller Book there is a speed table showing distances covered when Walking or Running (Double, Triple or Quadruple walking speed). However and dispute reading and rereading, I can't see any rules restricting or penalising Shot attacks (Blow & Swing attacks are ruled for) when running.
My feeling is that when running no Shots are allowed - but just wondered what the official rules are.
All steers greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Page 28: Running in a vacc suit requires a roll
Page 35, par. 6: "Running is an expenditure of energy and is counted as a combat blow reducing total endurance points and prohibiting the character from making any swing or blow attacks that round); see the endurance rule."

Aramis, thank you for your reply. But it was guidance on a CT ruling on making shot attacks while running that I was requesting.

In MT, there's a -1 DM while attacking while walking, and a -2 DM for attacking while running.

In Snapshot, movement (running) consumes action points, but does not affect offensive combat, you simply have less AP to use for attacking.

Similarly in AHL.

Similarly in AHL.

In AHL, aside from having less AP to fire is you move, you can only perform snapshoot (at -3 DM to hit, IIRC), not cover nor aimed fire, and some weapons can only be fired while static.

A snap shot is a just a snap shot, the affects are the same whether you moved or not. The nature of the snap shot is what adds to the difficulty.

The OP seems to be looking for how running impacts things like shooting. In AHL and Snapshot, it impacts it indirectly (by consuming actions points and, thus, relegating the character to just using something like a snap shot), vs directly such as in MT.

In TNE you can walk or trot and do a snap shot (but not an aimed shot). If you are running, you can not fire at all.

The idea that you can not make a melee attack while running is contrary to a few thousand years of military history...

by the way snapshots are -2 in both AHL and Snapshot, so the CT implication is that if you move you can only make a snapshot and thus you are at -2.

Thanks for all your advice folks.
So, in summary, it seems that TTB does not have rules for this, but wider CT imposes - 2 for a snapshot, which makes sense.

A snap shot is a just a snap shot, the affects are the same whether you moved or not.

You're right, and what I meand was that this is the only kind of fire you can do if you move in AHL, not that the moving affected it. Sorry if I didn't express myself good enough.

by the way snapshots are -2 in both AHL and Snapshot,

Thanks for fixing what I remember wrong. It has been decades since I last could play it (and my copy is now not handy).

Aramis, thank you for your reply. But it was guidance on a CT ruling on making shot attacks while running that I was requesting.
Per the quote: you cannot. That's from The Traveller Book. You simply missed it.
If you run, no action, and the round spends a combat swing.

Back