• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

First time poster with a new crew of Travellers

Been lurking for a bit, so here’s my first post. Its long, so I hope someone enjoys it.

Only in Traveller can you hit all the emotions during character creation – joy, anger, humor, , rage, despair etc. We decided to roll up a new group for a MgT2 adventure. I don’t think we could have come up with a more bitter, hard luck (but dang talented) group if we tried.

Here I present the brilliant but underappreciated Sally, the navy man turned pirate Sam, the disillusioned Marine Ox, the reluctant soldier Joe, and everyone’s favorite diplomat / convict / socialite, Slick (ok, so we didn’t spend much time on their names). These need to be fleshed out a bit, but you’ll get the picture. Our heroes and childhood friends are all 38 years old, and after reviewing their bios, let’s hope their mid-life crises are behind them.

Sally, 5A7DF5
University Graduate, Space program
Member of college clique, 12 allies
Contact within the less savory side of the brokerage business
Broker - 4​​ Admin – 1​​ Melee – Blade - 1
Engineer - Jump - 2 Investigate – 1​​ Gun Combat – Slug - 1
Engineer - maneuver - 1. Astro – 2​​ Persuade – 1
Streetsmart, Vacc Suit, Drive, Steward, Electronics all at 0

Blade TBD, gun TBD, ship share. Zero credits

The undisputed brains of the group, Sally went to school with plans to travel the stars, but soon fell in love with the brokering side of the merchant business. Despite her obvious skills, and a 16 year track record of making money for her employers, including several huge deals (one on an inside tip from her boyfriend, shhh!), Sally was only promoted twice. She is more than a little bitter about this lack of advancement. She also parlayed her skills into 8 benefit rolls, but when she’d finally had enough, she found herself mustering out with a knife, a pistol, and one lousy ship share to show for it. Sally believes that being from the wrong family had a lot to do with her lack of promotions and lack of a ship at the end of her career. Oh, did I mention her boyfriend is a pirate?
---------------------
Sam, 599B68
Able Spacehand, less than honorable discharge, 2 terms
Pirate Corporal, 3 terms
Gunner – 2​​ Mechanic – 1​​ Astrogation – 1
Pilot – 2 ​​ Electronics – comms - 1​​ Gamble – 1
Gun Combat – Energy – 1
Vacc Suit, Athletics, Gun Cmbt, Carouse, Streetwise 0

TAS, 50,000 Cr, Ship share, combat arm

Sam is a hard luck case. Despite his smarts he was rejected by both the Marine Academy and Marine enlistment, eventually being drafted into the Navy. There he was injured in a frozen watch accident, and a later accident that left several spacehands dead resulted in his discharge. Having recently fallen in love with Sally wasn’t enough to keep him from joining a pirate gang, and somehow they’ve made it work. 12 years of piracy expanded Sam’s skills and he became a good enough card player to clean out Joe and all his friends in an evening that remains notorious among the group. A severe injury (Str -4), forced him out of the trade, although he left with an ally on board. With his new TL11 combat arm and a good woman to nurse him back to health, Sam is looking for his luck to change.
--------------------------------
Ox, A58676
Star Marine Lance Sergeant, discharged after 4 terms
1 term salvager
Gun cmbt – Energy – 4​​ Vacc Suit – 2​​ Stealth – 1
Melee – Blade – 2​​ Gunner – 1​​ tactics – Military -1
Leadership – 1
Carouse, Streetwise, Survival, Melee (unarmed), Gun Cmbt, Heavy Weapons, Athletics 0

50,000 CR, weapon, implant TBD

Ox was unsurprisingly rejected by the Navy Academy before enlisting in the Marines. Despite some help from his friends – Sally helping him make an extra buck and Slick pulling some strings to get him a special assignment with an assault team, Ox’s career was cut short after he was stuck behind enemy lines through no fault of his own. He found work on a salvage team for a few years, before a random encounter with the ArchDuke at a starport (the dice don’t lie, can’t make this up) convinced him it was time to get back in the game.
--------------------------------------
Joe, A64A9C
Army, Cavalry Captain, Discharged, 4 terms
Part time dilettante, 1 term
Melee – Blade -3 ​​Drive – 1​​ Deception – 1
Gun Cmbt – Slug – 2​​ Recon – 1​​ Leadership - 1
Gun Cmbt – Energy – 1​​ Gambler – 1​​ Heavy Weapon – Vehicle – 1
Electronics – sensors – 1
Language, Admin, vacc suit, Athletics (str) 0

200,000 credits, weapon TBD, implant TBD

Enemies: former commanding officer and local noble
Joe was off to college to begin his business career when war broke out, resulting his being drafted to the Army. Joe chose Cavalry because it meant he didn’t have to walk anywhere (END 3 at the time). Joe did well, eventually earning his commission and promotion to Captain. All was well under a disastrous mission due to his Commander’s incompetence led to his discharge. Joe’s family’s social standing has allowed him to bum around the past few years, but even that has led to a new enemy, so he’s now looking for something productive to do with his time.
——————————
Slick, 679A7C
Diplomatic 2nd secretary (3 terms) prior to conviction
Prisoner 1 term, Dilettante 1 term
Poltical Rival, political enemy, ally from prison

210,000 credits, TAS, safari ship

Diplomat – 2​​ Advocate – 2​​ Gambler – 1
Gun Cmbt – Energy – 1​ Carouse – 2​​ Persuade – 1
Deception – 1​​ Streetwise - 1
Electronics, Investigate 0

Slick’s lack of interest in schoolwork led to his being denied admission to University, although his social standing allowed him to join the diplomatic corps, where he excelled, while his buddy Joe went off to war. Slick is a little too slick for his own good, and has picked up a couple of political enemies along the way. At least one of them was responsible for the false charges that cut his promising career short and led to a prison term.

Slick survived prison by being a deal maker; making friends rather than enemies for a change. He has been lounging around since his release, although he did recently come into possession of his uncle’s old safari ship. Slick gets the distinct impression that his family would prefer that he vacate the sector. Slick has always been loyal to his friends, helping them out when he can, so they are who he will turn to for his next adventure (and to fly the ship).
-------------------------
Next session we will get them equipped, and work on stripping down that safari vessel to turn it into something close to a proper freight hauler. It ain’t every day you have a broker – 4 on your team, and our heroes are looking to make some coin. We also need to divvy up one of the skills packages.

Figure that we will ditch the ship’s boat to make cargo room. Unlike a yacht, the safari ship is streamlined, so the heck with the boat. Sally ought to be able to sell for a decent price, although the lender (i.e. referee) requires that all proceeds go to the mortgage. Stripping down the boat dock, the two multi environment tanks, and the trophy room will add 45 tons of cargo space. We’ll try to negotiate our ship shares into some weapons, although our referee seems to think that turning aquariums into cargo space will cost a heck of a lot more than it ought to.

Best way to get replies is to ask an interesting question.

What kind of feedback do you want?
What version of the rules did you use? This looks like MgT2 maybe?

Sorry, I‘m the new guy trolling for comments about something that is probably unexceptional to everyone else.

Yes, its Mongoose 2. Haven’t used Mongoose before, but we were looking for something “streamlined, yet updated” so it seemed to make sense. Last game was MT many years ago, and I don’t have great memories of MT vs. CT. Those memories are very distant and vague at this point, so I couldn’t point to anything wrong with MT. A friend recommended MgT2,and so far (not very far) it fits the bill.

Perhaps its no big deal to those who have played Traveller loyally over the years (if so that’s a tremendous credit to how great the system is), but we got a kick out of the MgT2 creation process, and how it created not just characters, but intertwined back stories. I thought one guy might quit when his diplomat went to jail. Said he wanted to start over. Everyone else wanted to be the person who put him there, but our “free skills” were used up by then. Our pirate was laughing so much during this that he had to leave the room to keep the peace. 3 minutes later we’re back on track. Good times.

There is certainly an argument to be made for a trophy room. Perhaps we are being too practical. We all expected to end up with a far trader. She had 8 freaking benefit rolls!

Serious question, is Broker 4 as overpowered as it looks when it comes to spec trading? Once a little capital is built I dont see much risk, other than the hand of the referee.

Serious question, is Broker 4 as overpowered as it looks when it comes to spec trading?
IMO Broker 4 is quite high on the skill scale, but not game breaking. But I would say share your concerns with the player, but let it go for a little while and then address issues together with the player.

Broker 4 is about as expert as you can be. Have you seen Billions? You're like "Axe" on that show at that skill level.

A suggestion for some compensating controls, after the character's success is apparent to the public:

1. Too good to be true? The local government believes the character must be cheating and investigates them, super hard. Assets are frozen in the meantime.

2. A rare skill is a resource, like anything else. Have a noble or crime boss take a special interest in them. "Come work for me--or else."

3. If you come at the king, you best not miss. Economics is often a zero-sum game. There are winners and losers. When the character wins big, someone else loses big, and those people are now hell-bent on revenge and recovery.

4. Setup. A local con group sets up the PC. Here's a "too big to fail" opportunity. Unfortunately, the character's new friends (and capital) disappears without a trace after the deal is made.

Last edited:
I like idea #2 above a lot. It avoids the “act of god” method of separating characters from their credits while providing good role play possibilities. Thanks!

Serious question, is Broker 4 as overpowered as it looks when it comes to spec trading? Once a little capital is built I dont see much risk, other than the hand of the referee.

Yes, it is OP, for exactly the reasons you give. Broker-4 kinda breaks the trade system if you're in a Jump-1 main. If she gets a reasonably sane crew under her and is willing to just work a nice, safe, boring Jump-1 main with a free trader, she'll make money hand over fist.

With Broker-4 you could likely get a Jump-2 ship to work which is usually an issue in Traveller. (Warning: This is my own personal bias coming into play here: I believe Traveller's economy rules should be converted to be based around Jump-2 traders struggling -but making- a profit if they have good skills, representing these small tramp operators trading on low-profit Jump-2 routes ... the stupidly lucrative Jump-1 Mains should be dominated by huge Megacorporate container ships with no margins for small indie traders.)

IMO, you and your players need to decide what kind of game you want. The economics of Traveller are sort of murky so it's often difficult to keep the money supply of the players under control to have the idealized "tramp freighter struggling to make ends meet" scenario that so many Traveller players want that lasts for any period of time without the referee playing putting on the 'fecal finger of fate' and constantly throwing bad luck to keep the players in their place. As a side-note: Over the years, I have come to suspect this kind of campaign is perfectly fine with many Refs and players, I personally find it's the result of lazy players and refs but if that kind of game is fine with you and your players, go for it.

I personally prefer characters who have dreams and desires of their own and are working towards them - funding these dreams will eat up a lot of these huge profits. A method would be to find out if the captain (and players) have some sort of bigger goal; maybe she wants to be a true Merchant Prince with a lucrative trading corporation of a few ships trading and so on; if she's saving for a new ship or paying loans on multiple ships (even if she's only running one and the others are crewed by NPCs), it is a fantastic money sink without constant events that conveniently take the player's money away.

Other players might be Joe might wish to have lots of money to show his family he's a success and not just a wastrel. You (as the GM) would have to decide how it is determine he's not a wastrel but a success in his family's eyes, but likely it'd involve millions of credits in the bank and successful, growing business, or a noble title of his own, or some combination of the three. Slick might want some sort of company or something of his own - the best way to protect yourself from enemies is to have lots of money yourself (and it gives him a bolt-hole should things go south with his current group which is likely on his mind if he has some wits - anyone who was in prison who doesn't want to go back is always going to have this on their mind). All of these players have every right not to be completely satisfied with some nebulous arrangement where all the profits of the ship go into "the ship" and Sam basically holds onto the money - while they might be fine with a lot of profits going to grow Sam's business (should that be her desire) they might wish to get a percentage of the profits so they can do their own things; I get the impression these other party members aren't just employees - so Sam can't just treat them like that. On the other hand, it's within her rights to demand that the other party members get proper skills to be valuable on the ship as well so she can justify giving them a larger cut of the profits.

CT Bk2 designs DO make a profit at J2 and base price per jump, rather than per parsec, in the right hulls and if they aren't armed, and have the right balance of staterooms and cargo. 200 Td is not that point...

Sally on Earth for the Interstellar Wars milieu can buy her own ship after just a few out-and-back trips, using Merchant Prince cargo rules. (Further details are a trade secret; see my sig.) She can in essence always buy at <100% of cost and always sell at >100% of cost. Look over the campaign map for good trade routes and be aware that rivals will want to keep her off those, push her back into the boondocks instead. She may have a reputation like "Wolf of Wall Street" in broker circles. Do the merchants know if too? Only the Ref can say for sure.

Broker 4 really is too much by the mongoose rules. I’m messing around with an idea to pare it back a bit. Something along the lines of Class A starport has an opposing broker 2, class b and c a broker 1,etc.

Broker 4 really is too much by the mongoose rules. I’m messing around with an idea to pare it back a bit. Something along the lines of Class A starport has an opposing broker 2, class b and c a broker 1,etc.

This is definitely overlooked as a brake on mercantile adventures. Get some rivalries and competition going. Also favoritism... planetary brokers are going to have "hand-shake" agreements with the long-term merchants and aren't going to wreck that for a newbie.

Take a look at "Suns of Gold" it's a mercantile subset of Stars Without Number. It has a "Friction" mechanic that kinda simulates this. It acts as a modifier to the final price of goods sold/purchased. The Friction starts high and you can work it down by doing "favors" and such for the local merchants.

I think it's a neat idea and would work. I'm planning on implementing the same in a SOLO game but haven't yet.

I like that your crew started with internal connections to each other.

What kind of adventures are you planning and where do (all of you) think the campaign will go? That's the main question. If it's commerce-focused, Sally's going to dominate, and you'll need to compensate for that. The others seem to be combat-centered, so you'll want to feed that tendency, too. That's the balance you need to strike, IMO.

Back