• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

First time poster with a new crew of Travellers

There was a big mistake made when the broker skill was introduced as a player available skill.

I designed my own career called 'Factor' and included broker as an available skill with a caveat - broker only apples to one world.

You can take multiple broker results for more than one world

eg Broker:Regina 1, Wypoc 1, Efate 1

If you opt to take more than one level of skill for a world then you get broker skill -1 for every world connected by a jump lane /x-boat route

If you take broker for your world of choice at 3 then you have broker 2 for each world one jump lane away, broker 1 on each world two jump lanes/x-boat links away

Max it out to broker 4 for your homeworld and you have broker 3 at one jump, broker 2 at two jumps and broker 1 three jumps distant.

Sounds more complicated when written down like that but it means the further away from home you are the lower your effective broker skill so you may be better off seeking out a local broker for your shipment.

Blue Ghost - this is a Mongoose 2 crew.

Putraack - the internal connections are a feature of The Mongoose rules. Up to 2 per Traveller, with a free skill level (with limitations) for each.

Limiting the broker’s skill to a region or world is a good idea as well. Maybe level 4 within an immediate trading range (a small jump-1 main, for example). Max level 3 out to a certain distance, maybe even a subsector, max 2 beyond that, etc.

Blue Ghost - this is a Mongoose 2 crew.

Putraack - the internal connections are a feature of The Mongoose rules. Up to 2 per Traveller, with a free skill level (with limitations) for each.

Limiting the broker’s skill to a region or world is a good idea as well. Maybe level 4 within an immediate trading range (a small jump-1 main, for example). Max level 3 out to a certain distance, maybe even a subsector, max 2 beyond that, etc.

Old School; traffic comes and goes. There was a time between … say 2007 and 2012 where there was a huge amount of traffic, but throughout the 17 years that I've been posting here, it does tend to be sporadic.

I don't have too much to add to your topic, other than CT chargen, to me, was a game and experience in and of itself, and that was part of the attraction. T5 chargen is more work than fun, so I'm not a fan of it, but if you can conjure a quick story from it, as per CT chargen, then that's very cool, because that's part of what playing Traveller (or playing with) is all about.

That’s why I like the Mongoose Chargen system so much. It’s not terribly complicated, its fun, and it ties the characters background stories together.

Agreed, MgT char gen is my favorite by far.

I recently started an ATU campaign where we created the campaign map during char gen. We had a scout, a scholar, a marine and a rogue. Right off the bat that gave us a scout base, a university/research institute, a marine base and a criminal org, all of which I placed randomly on a quadrant-sized hexmap.

You see where this is going. Every event and contact gave us a location or a personality to place on the map. When connecting the characters we also connected to home worlds, bases, etc etc. We developed a story about how everyone got to the starting location as well, which developed some J2 mains quite nicely.

Loads of fun. Two players used reasoning and dramatic techniques to suggest placement while the other two and myself used random die rolls. It produced a cool, unexpected map and the players are already emotionally invested in the campaign area.

Before the next session I fleshed it out a bit and added some unknowns. I’m sure it’s not a new idea but it’s one of our best campaign starts ever.

Back