• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fission power and Jump drives.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

The duration of the jump/skip is immaterial as all the fuel is consumed and the resulting power spent in a few minutes as the jump/skip is initiated?
What I have found is that in the original T5 Alpha Playtest materials on the 2007 CD, Hop and Skip Drives consumed fuel at 1/10th the rate per drive number that Jump Drives consumed fuel, respectively (Tons = P x Hull / 100). . . .

From T5 Alpha Disk (2007):

Hop & Skip Drives
  • The Mythical “Hop” Drive. Hops are measured in tens of parsecs; the ship Hops exactly that distance; one Hop takes about a day. Fuel usage is relatively small.
  • Hop Drive (per Hop). A Hop Drive requires 1% of Hull Tonnage per Hop number (subject to PPlant Overclock) per use. A Hop Drive can perform ONLY a Hop equal to its Potential.

• The Rumored “Skip” Drive. Skips are measured in hundreds of parsecs, but the final distance is inexact. One Skip (regardless of distance) requires several hours. Fuel usage is negligible. A Skip contaminates Jump Space in its originating system, and is subject to SkipScatter.
  • Skip Drive (per Skip). A Skip Drive requires 1% of Hull Tonnage per Skip number (subject to PPlant Overclock) per use. A Skip Drive can perform ONLY a Skip equal to its Potential and is subject to Skip Scatter (1 parsec in a random direction from the destination hex).

OK, back to the original post. I think the key is that the way Skip Drive was originally envisioned (see above) is that it required extremely small quantities of fuel compared to Jump (and less than Hop - see highlight above). Since fuel consumption is related to energy production, perhaps Skip could get away with using the normal power production rate of the Fission Plant (i.e. non-overclock) for its capacitor charging.

The Higher-order Hyperdrives have obviously changed considerably since the Alpha CD, so the comment about Fission and Skip Drives would no longer be valid, hence an Erratum.

Back